Code of Conduct Changes - Do better at least for optics

Charan can you use your influence to push the renaming of "off-topic" to "certain topics"?

Or just remove the off-topic section in it's entirety.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : i can't be the only one who thinks it's facetious that a partition of the forums called "off-topic" falls under the same rulings as parts that are specified around the game and business GGG is trying to push both in-game(global chats) and on the forums.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jun 5, 2019, 9:33:35 AM
Meh, went to sleep and this thread proceeded as expected.

Unneccessary steps taken to try and solve a problem that didn't exist to begin with. Most likely if a post was vile or abusive, it fell under the orginal code of conduct, and could be moderated as such. Off topic having posts not related to Path of Exile is literally the entire point. (Just remove it if this is the stance)

To expand on this, essentially allowing deterministic evaluations of thoughts and opinions is equal parts exhausting as it is troubling.

You could make a case that a tremendous number of threads and posts could be moderated with the note that the post was considered inflammatory. (Politics & Religion aside)

So who is the big winner here? The mental health of GGG employees that were hired to moderate, and then are stressed to moderate? (Is this statement inflammatory?)

And the notion that people wont participate or post on a forum becuase of opinions or discussion in a different thread is virtue signaling of the worst kind and is nowhere based in fact. How would you even know if someone wasn't participating or left the site, as opposed to lurking, or not even looking at that thread or forum section. That is 100% a false statement from GGG.

This is an incredibly poor decision, based solely on the fact that someone or a number of someone's at GGG are far too sensitive. (Dont even make me bring up the 1000 hours debacle)

Tbh I would actually feel better and probably have empathy if we were told this was pushed down from Tencent. But to tell us that support had a meeting, and the outcome was to moderate to a standard of 'inflammatory' is head scratching. I would imagine this would be more stressful, unless they are just going to start moderating without notification or providing reasoning (other than this post violates the code of conduct)

Anyways it's clear that it doesn't matter what we think. And when we do have opinions or thoughts we have to quite mindful on how those are presented so that sensibilities are not offended.

Spoiler
Having Chinese ownership and then pursuing for more control over thought, opinion, and discussion on your forums and ingame chat, is again horrific optics
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jun 5, 2019, 10:13:15 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:
"
Another key factor we discussed at length regarding this change is the effect these kinds of topics have on our staff. Forum and game moderation is no easy task and while many players do abide by our Code of Conduct, there are also many players that do not. There are a significant number of really horrible chat and forum postings our team deals with on a daily basis. We hope to significantly reduce the strain on our staff for the benefit of their mental well-being.
Quite sure it will help moderators cope easily with the remaining sludge of sickening homophobia, transphobia, and misogyny, all far lesser evils than the topics of religion and politics, eh?

Sure, removing the obvious and easy makes sense, I've long been surprised the Trump thread is even a thing for how much trouble it causes. Forgive my wry laugh that targeting religion and politics isn't such an assault on the core Gamer Dude supporter base culture, either.

Someone make a first they came for the Trumpsters, then they came for ... and then they came for the PC Master Race... macro?

^ Test.

Will be good to see harder moderation on some of the religious bigotry in chat.

Still, it's not so much what you say, it's how you say it.

Overall, blanket banning of two vital topics - yes, even on a gaming forum - is against my values so fundamentally I'm not sure about how it'll affect me using Off Topic. No loss in the scheme of things, and certainly not cause for calling the waambulance. Guess we'll see how it all pans out.

Not bad timing though, this, interesting and apt, even.
This isn't a bad post. Among other things, the idea that political and religious discussions are "gateway topics" and that cutting them will "significantly reduce the strain on bour staff for the benefit of their mental well-being" is a bad joke. It's like trying to cut down on crime by chasing the poor people out of your city — it might seem to work, but mostly because you're underestimating splash damage to the community and per capita won't change that much.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
GGG-OT is not social media
False. It's not in the major leagues, obviously, but if you're an itty bitty social media platform, you're a social media platform.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
We’ve seen the worse natures of some people who, otherwise, are or were good company
If somebody was good company, I don't believe they suddenly lose that quality merely as a result of unmasking a set of political beliefs. Perhaps they are no longer willing to be good company to the people who have so been unmasked, as if pulling some platonic version of an Alyssa Milano, but I don't believe that striking makes one worse at their jobs nor that my former friends on the other side of these debates have lost their mojo. I guess I've lost their mojo, and that's unfortunate, but it's a sad fact of life that sometimes coming out as who you are isn't met with tolerance.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
My only interest in “that” thread was for the discussion of the political philosophical meta, but opportunity for that has long since been dead, at least for me, being driven nearly paralyzed by my inarticulateness and the eager willingness of others to so quickly “other” another.
This, after saying some have revealed themselves to be monsters.
"
Boem wrote:
[Removed by Support]
QFT
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by Kieran_GGG on Jun 5, 2019, 6:50:01 PM
"
Boem wrote:
[Removed by Support]

I was going to say something similar, but was debating whether it was too inflammatory, and didnt want to risk the rest of my post, just to poke the bear with a dose of reality.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Kieran_GGG on Jun 5, 2019, 6:51:26 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
[Removed by Support]

I was going to say something similar, but was debating whether it was too inflammatory, and didnt want to risk the rest of my post, just to poke the bear with a dose of reality.

It s like an artist getting mad at being criticize.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Kieran_GGG on Jun 5, 2019, 6:52:54 PM
I didn't know the moderators on these boards were not payed to moderate auction house and labyrinth threads, you better let them know good man because they might be under a different impression.

On another note, i'm going to have to see that print-out of my work history from you.
People might get the wrong idea and think your making a blanket assumption to discredit a reasonable position about moderators in general.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...Spot the people who've never worked in customer service.

And frankly, the moderators of a fucking computer game's community are never paid enough to deal with intensive, high-tension, high aggression, controversial discussions. That isn't their job and it should never have been. And now, thankfully, it won't be anymore.

I'm outs. Enjoy your venting. You do know that's all it is, right?

What a fucking absurd take.

They can moderate however the they want. They can allow or not allow whatever they want. Any stress or inability to voluntarily confront conflict or violations as part of their job is self-generated.

The idea that an employee taking a service or support job, cannot deal with a wide variety of people, and then puts the blame or accountability on the customer is ridiculous.

[Removed by Support]

And what in the actual fuck does money have to do with it? Give support team members a high salary and suddenly the code of conduct isnt required to be as stringent? Really?

Good luck GGG with the sugar & rainbows forum and game chat. I'm sure the low stress Utopia is right around the corner.

How anyone can even function in life without even the most basic forms of conflict resolution and the ability to confront adversity is mind-boggling.

Protip: There will always be trolls and shitposters. People will sometimes be mean. The solution isnt to fuck over everyone else by creating outrageously vague and unobtainable conduct requirements. Fucking "inflammatory" ...lol
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Al_GGG on Jun 5, 2019, 4:12:06 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...Spot the people who've never worked in customer service.

And frankly, the moderators of a fucking computer game's community are never paid enough to deal with intensive, high-tension, high aggression, controversial discussions. That isn't their job and it should never have been. And now, thankfully, it won't be anymore.

I'm outs. Enjoy your venting. You do know that's all it is, right?

Fun fact: Back in the day, Apple tech support allowed us to pretty much just hang up the phone on people who were irate and abusive. We didn't have to coddle enraged people or stroke their egos in any way. Tell them to call back when they're calm and willing to cooperate, log whatever garbage they said during the call, and done. No questions asked, no repercussions.

Another fun fact: I hung up on a pissed off Nicolas Cage not once but 4 times in the span of an hour. He was pissed off that a tech couldn't be sent to him that same day to repair his printer (his first call came in at around 3:30pm lol). Out of the 64 other people he could have gotten that day, he kept calling back in and getting me. On the 5th call, he finally listened to reason.

And: Network admins were mostly imbeciles who couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a wet paper sack. They were way too busy fixating on how qualified they were to fix any problem themselves and listing off those qualifications. Yet they couldn't fix the problem, called in for support, and then refused to listen to anything. Those calls pretty much always went nowhere fast.

However: NASA techs were really chill in just about every way.

And: K-12 teachers were the best. They knew they didn't know anything, so they would do everything they were told to do. Unfortunately, they often had to walk all the way to the other end of the school and then back to the phone in the offices. Those could be some absurdly long calls.

Anyway, the amount of shit you can get hurled at you, personally, every single day doing live support makes a lot of what goes down on forums and reddit and game chats pretty laughable.

But yeah, I can definitely get that aspect of what the mods go through.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
The assumption that forum moderation works like customer service jobs (I've done both, and retail, too) is ridiculous on its face. The level of interaction on a forum is much more limited. The give and take isn't nearly as dynamic, as the forum member is under the potential threat of being banned, and so isn't likely to put up too much of a fight. Meanwhile, customer service reps are dealing with people who pay for (and presumably want) a service, and the interaction is a function of (hopefully) resolving the customer's issue to their satisfaction, within whatever limitations are placed upon the rep's options. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
the customer is ridiculous.

;)

Cute
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info