D3 RMAH

No one wants to admit it was awesome Thats cool i guess.
"
pr13st wrote:
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
"
dorkdude2 wrote:
only issue with it was being balanced around it

... I can't truly give an unbiased opinion on it because I made over $100 post blizz fee off of it(on a wep I thought would go for $5-10 lol)

What do you think happens if they don't balance around it? Everyone gets everything they need in a few days and gets bored

They balanced... poorly.

so if drops rates were drastically increased that would fix the game? It would only make it easier to get what you want because you could easily trade for what you need at any time
"
Jayburner wrote:
No one wants to admit it was awesome Thats cool i guess.

LOL. The only people that thought it was awesome were those that ran AH and farming bots.
This is not Diablo forums
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
"
MasterAxe wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
If that was your game... it was fun. Ruined it for those of us who just wanted an ARPG though.

the RMAH didnt ruin shit for you, the Blizzard Devs did that.

you're right, Blizzard devs ruined it by putting in a RMAH

when it was removed they proved it was ruined for other reasons, mostly because people actually started playing Diablo 3 when the RMAH got removed

No, they ruined D3 by removing all depth to the game, and making some of the worst itemization ever invented in an Arpg. Console action games have better itemization that D3 did. D3 was completely statsticks. Nothing but statstick items. On an entire continent-based AH, with no seasons, no item sinks, nothing. It was highest number wins. Thats all that matters. My 940 dps Poison bow is just worse than that 941 dps Lightning bow. The element didnt matter. Nothing mattered. There was no special stats on those items. It was just whichever had the highest number. Even uniques were just items with unique names, and random stats just like a rare.

Also, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. PoE is eat up with RMT. Infested with it. D2 was/is infested with RMT. Blizzard, smartly, tried capitalizing on this market. Problem is, they were too greedy. And, if I had to go a step further, scared. They didn't have to balance around an RMAH. They just decided to. For money. They could have had seasons to act as item sinks, but they were scared of the backlash from people who spent 100s of dollars on their items for them to be worthless in 4 months, and need to be re-bought.

Also, this notion that somehow D3 just stopped being played is a joke. You know, my buddy bought his house with the money he made on D3. He made a living playing D2, selling duped runes, made a living playing D3. He could have made a living playing PoE but he moved onto real life flipping by selling stuff on Amazon. People were spending 1000s of dollars up until the last day of the RMAH. The RMAH didn't ruin anything. It damn sure didn't ruin D3 for you.

You want to use it as a scapegoat for your problems with D3. Maybe if you were more objective, you would look past your hatred for buying power, which is the real issue you had with it, and look at the bland itemization, the lack of depth, and the overall shittiness of the entire game, instead of focusing on the AH, which mainly exacerbated and highlighted all the problems with D3; it didn't cause them.

Cultivating an acceptance of real-money transactions (RMT) among the playerbase of a much-hyped title with an in-game economy is a signal to an entire industry of shady bot-based RMT websites to bot that game as hard as they can and flood your economy with bot-generated loot as hard as they can, to make as much money as they can off gamers made sympathetic to RMT by the victim-developer themselves. In the case of D3 the bot-based RMT industry was ready with its business plan before the game even launched, and inventory stocked before the RMAH even opened. I don't know if D3's economy would have collapsed anyway — its itemization was robotically linear and there would have been a lot of bot-based RMT regardless — but the D3 RMAH accelerated that collapse.

There is no such thing as a game that cannot be botted. Because of this, there is no game where RMT is not destructive to the enjoyment of an in-game economy. I actually feel some sympathy for OP, believe it or not, because I like the idea of a gamer playing a game well and earning a living doing so. But that method's not realistic. It's like wanting to start a business that makes metal screws by hand, because you enjoy making them that way — you simply can't compete with automation.

Edit: In regards to what Destructodave said above, I am talking about the trading aspect of the game, and that aspect only. That aspect was destroyed by bot-based inflation, period. But that was just trading. If the core gameplay was solid, the game might have succeeded in spite of its clown world economy. But the core gameplay was dog shit. Dave's entire post is very solid, even if it seems he was friends with a botter. As the saying goes, don't hate the player. Blizzard was all but begging for guys like him to do what they did, and they happily took his $59.95.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 5, 2019, 10:57:23 PM
I'll be honest; I think an RMAH could survive in today's climate. Mobile games have really changed the perception of bought power.

And, Blizzard embracing the dark side of their game is no new thing. D2 ran on duped runes, yet all of us sit back and talk about how it was the greatest Arpg ever. Blizzard merely made more rune words for those duped runes. They made duped SoJ sinks.

I dont think people have any clue how big RMT was then. Or how much duping was going on. If you owned a runeword that had even a remotely difficult rune in it, it was duped. Hell, if it was a BotD, it was rolled back. Yet, we look back fondly at that mess.

Them embracing RMT was not a surprise to me. How they handled it was a bigger issue than RMT being in the game itself. There are a ton of checks and balances they could have put into the game. Limited Trades, limited searches, sinks, god knows what. The fact they had a trade screen you could scam people with, unlike the PoE one, is another oversight. I blame Blizzard more for their implementation than the AH's themselves.

I used to play another game. Warframe. Has possibly the best economy I've ever used in a game. Limited trades based on your account level, huge credit costs for trades, routinely vaulting items to take them out of circulation, etc. Theres very little flipping in that game because its a waste of time. You make more profit running more relics then wasting your trades and credits trying to flip items. And the kicker? The trade currency, platinum, was bought with real money by another player. And this currency, can be used to buy anything in the game. Imaging being able to trade something in PoE and buy MTX with it. Thats warframe. It doesnt have an AH; it has a system similar to PoE, but it works better because of the checks and balances in place. I dont know if I've ever heard anyone complain about its economy. I know thats sorta off-topic, just throwing that out there. Probably because the entire trade system is RMT. It works off currency bought and paid for with real money.

I guess my point is, they could have did a better job of making it work. They just didn't.

Edit: It was more than 59.95, friend. A single PC could run something like 64 bots on integrated graphics.
Last edited by Destructodave on May 5, 2019, 11:06:38 PM
"
Destructodave wrote:
Edit: It was more than 59.95, friend. A single PC could run something like 64 bots on integrated graphics.
Yeah, but $3,836.80 just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I totally agree that D2 and PoE are a lot more botted, with a lot more RMT, than most people here would be willing to believe. As far as how to manage it, perhaps I'm not focusing on the worst parts of Blizzard's plan on handling RMT in D3. But I think I can very safely say: don't do what Blizzard did with D3.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:

so if drops rates were drastically increased that would fix the game? It would only make it easier to get what you want because you could easily trade for what you need at any time

See, I lack the correct terms since im sick af irl, but there is something like overbalancing and underbalancing, and they underbalanced diablo3 loot as fuck because of the rmah, because no one wanted 10000 witching hours on there.

Drastically lowered = drastically increased = poor balance, can you dig me?

I don't want much loot, nor do I want a fuckin trickle man. That's their job, to find the sweet spot to appease the most of the fanbase.
Second-class poe gamer
"
pr13st wrote:
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:

See, I lack the correct terms since im sick af irl, but there is something like overbalancing and underbalancing, and they underbalanced diablo3 loot as fuck because of the rmah, because no one wanted 10000 witching hours on there.

Drastically lowered = drastically increased = poor balance, can you dig me?

I don't want much loot, nor do I want a fuckin trickle man. That's their job, to find the sweet spot to appease the most of the fanbase.

It would take them years to find a sweet spot and that assumes if it even exists. And in the meantime they risk losing everything by messing up.

I agree with them that it doesn't exist BTW. Not for this type of game at least.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info