[3.17] Beginner Friendly Arc Mines Guide | All Content on 5L | Lvling Guide

hello, can i ask why in the guide we need to use added cold damage ? to shatter ? because when i used it, it doesnt shatter any monster, and why we use 6l spire trap rather than 6l arc mine ? im having a blast using this build, but until now i havent used lightning spire trap yet, because im still quite comfortable with my 6l arc mine on tabula, im at 4k life and 1,8k mana, this is my current gear
Spoiler
what should i improve ? i have budget just 60 chaos for now
Last edited by keroro800 on Jan 23, 2019, 10:50:10 PM
"
DerKiLLaX wrote:
"
Gonna cost hundreds of chrome to roll 5 blues.

Average ~ 60 (Vorici Chromatic Calculator)
[/quote]

You were right, only took 23 chrome to change to 5 blue 1 green, thanks.
Can anyone give me some tips to improve my build? What are my weak pieces that I should focus on upgrading?

My ingame tooltip for lightning spire trap is 15,636 DPS and Arc is 7,926 with stone golem, herald of thunder, and clarity activated.

My life is at 3937.

Thanks!! i'm at power level XP 80 right now.

also have watcher's eye with 99% increased crit strike chance while affected by wrath - not sure if it helps or not but have it from my previous character. if there's something better i should pop in, lmk.

Thanks!
"
Garash wrote:

How does whirling work for you? Dont you need very high attack speed for that?

Whirling blades is definitely not ideal with no attack speed modifiers. I have it linked to a 20 quality faster attacks and fortify. It works OK, but is far slower than an attack build with attack speed mods.

You have to compare with the alternative for arc miners, not with an attack based build. The alternative is a combination of quicksilver, phase run with no frenzy charges and occasional flame dash with almost no cast speed.

Whirling blades vs Running
Pros:
- Don't have to worry about cooldowns or quicksilver flask charges
- Instead of spamming 3 buttons, you can spam 1
- Faster sustained movement in my experience, although haven't done a side by side comparison
- Better and more reliable dodging of Uber Elder attacks and other mechanics due to dashing nature of whirling blades
- Frees up a flask so you can use a defensive flask or Atziri for more damage. I'm using Basalt.
- Can proc fortify for more defense
Cons:
- Uses more gem sockets. I still use flame dash for arcane surge and jumping walls and gaps. So I only have three free sockets for Detonate mines totem, Vaal RF, Vaal Grace, Bear Trap, Stone Golem

Movement is definitely the biggest weakness of this build, as well as the clunkiness of laying mines then detonating them, which is inherently slower than self casting or casting while moving builds. Overall, it results in slower clear speed compared to something like Storm Brand.

IMO, whirling blades is the best out of some sub-optimal options.
Last edited by Xiaobear6 on Jan 24, 2019, 1:52:57 AM
"
Th3LoRD wrote:
"
Xiaobear6 wrote:
"
Th3LoRD wrote:

There's another suffix, % crit multi when rare or unique enemy is nearby. Probably better than any of the other options.

Good suggestion, I didn't know about that suffix.

However, I tried it out in POB and it's still below double damage and mine laying speed in terms of dps. The crit multi gets you about 5% more dps, compared to 7% for those other two.

I finished crafting my daggers. I think this is the best combination of mods for the highest damage dagger, without mine laying speed. Wands can get higher damage due to better inherent mod, but I wanted to use whirling blades for movement.

Make sure you correctly PoB-ed the two stats. Not sure if it was updated, but when I last checked, the "Crit multiplier when rare/unique is nearby" doesn't get counted into your damage. For the correct comparison, you can edit the item and add an extra 30% crit multiplier to the other crit multiplier, so it would have something like 60%.

Yes, that's what I did in POB, just added more unconditional crit multi. Realistically, you cannot expect a high roll on either multiplier, so I used an average case of 54% combined multi for comparison with 26% multi and 6% double damage.

The difference is not big, but because I already have almost 500% crit multi, another 28% only adds about 5% more dps. Whereas double damage multiplies into your overall damage.
"
keroro800 wrote:
hello, can i ask why in the guide we need to use added cold damage ? to shatter ? because when i used it, it doesnt shatter any monster, and why we use 6l spire trap rather than 6l arc mine ? im having a blast using this build, but until now i havent used lightning spire trap yet, because im still quite comfortable with my 6l arc mine on tabula, im at 4k life and 1,8k mana, this is my current gear
Spoiler

We use added cold damage when mapping to shatter corpses so that detonate dead doesn't kill us. It's lowers your damage, but for mapping, you should have way more than enough damage for all maps including t16s.

The reason you're not shattering is because you have Elemental Focus in your Arc link, which will remove chills and freezes from cold damage. You don't really need Elemental Focus when mapping either.

I would suggest for mapping:
Arc - Remote Mine - Increased Crit - Controlled Destruction - Trap and Mine Damage - Added Cold Damage
For bossing, replace Added Cold with Elemental Focus, replace Increased Crit with Lightning Penetration.

The reason some people suggest Lightning Spire Trap in 6L is because there's actually 2 phases as you progress and get better gear and more levels. When your damage is low, even a 6L Arc does poor boss damage, so you need the trap to kill bosses. A 5L Arc is enough to deal with all other mobs, so you use the remote mine support in your helm to 5L Arc and use your 6L for the trap.

When you get good gear, your Arc damage will become ridiculously high and there's no need to use the trap at all, even for Uber Elder. That's when you 6L Arc in the chest and put 4L Lightning Trap for a bit more boss damage when you have time to setup, and for dealing with allies cannot die auras, and proximity shields.

As for your gear, the best cheap upgrades you can do are:
- Replace a life flask with Wise Oak (make sure to adjust your resists with Lightning highest and Cold lowest or better Cold = Fire)
- Quality all flasks to 20%. Quality the important flasks to 26% using rank 3 Hillock in Research (this costs no currency, just time).
- Get a level 21 Arc, either by leveling a bunch yourself in your weapon swap and corrupting them, or buying one. Lvl 21 Arc is a pretty significant improvement over lvl 20. Arc gem quality isn't that important for us.
- Spend about 30c on a Clarity Watcher's Eye jewel. Look for one with "#% chance to recover 10% of maximum mana when you use a skill while affected by Clarity" Also, use lvl 1 Clarity when you start using this jewel.
Last edited by Xiaobear6 on Jan 24, 2019, 1:55:36 AM
"
Can anyone give me some tips to improve my build? What are my weak pieces that I should focus on upgrading?

My ingame tooltip for lightning spire trap is 15,636 DPS and Arc is 7,926 with stone golem, herald of thunder, and clarity activated.

My life is at 3937.

Thanks!! i'm at power level XP 80 right now.

also have watcher's eye with 99% increased crit strike chance while affected by wrath - not sure if it helps or not but have it from my previous character. if there's something better i should pop in, lmk.

Thanks!

Your Loreweave and Ahn's are actually conflicting with each other. Loreweave sets your maximum resists to a number, 76 - 80. That number cannot be changed by other effects, so + or - to maximum resists don't affect you anymore. I would suggest you buy some Divine orbs and reroll Loreweave until it's maximum resists are 80%. This will significantly reduce the elemental damage you take.

Then replace the shield with something else, either dual wield wands for more damage, or get an ES shield with resists, life and spell crit/damage if you can.

Your belt is also not good. Elemental damage to attack skills does nothing for us, since Arc is not an attack skill. You could easily get 60 more life on the belt. If you're using Mind over Matter, you also need to get some mana on gear, most likely rings and amulet.

Also, get a level 21 Arc, either by leveling a bunch yourself in your weapon swap and corrupting them, or buying one. Lvl 21 Arc is a pretty significant improvement over lvl 20. Arc gem quality isn't that important for us.

Lastly, when you can, run Uber Lab to get the highest tier version of your boot enchant, or the elemental penetration or crit one.
Thanks for all your help here!

Can u say something about my setup?

Spoiler

I know, i need better flasks. What can u say about my gem-setups? Is it better to use Arc in 6L and if yes, what should i add to Arc - Minefield - Increased Critical Strikes - Added Lightning?

4L Spire with Trap and Mine Damage - Lightning Penetration - Added Lightning?

Maybe i will change to dual wield ...
"
Xiaobear6 wrote:
"
keroro800 wrote:
Spoiler

We use added cold damage when mapping to shatter corpses so that detonate dead doesn't kill us. It's lowers your damage, but for mapping, you should have way more than enough damage for all maps including t16s.

The reason you're not shattering is because you have Elemental Focus in your Arc link, which will remove chills and freezes from cold damage. You don't really need Elemental Focus when mapping either.

I would suggest for mapping:
Arc - Remote Mine - Increased Crit - Controlled Destruction - Trap and Mine Damage - Added Cold Damage
For bossing, replace Added Cold with Elemental Focus, replace Increased Crit with Lightning Penetration.

The reason some people suggest Lightning Spire Trap in 6L is because there's actually 2 phases as you progress and get better gear and more levels. When your damage is low, even a 6L Arc does poor boss damage, so you need the trap to kill bosses. A 5L Arc is enough to deal with all other mobs, so you use the remote mine support in your helm to 5L Arc and use your 6L for the trap.

When you get good gear, your Arc damage will become ridiculously high and there's no need to use the trap at all, even for Uber Elder. That's when you 6L Arc in the chest and put 4L Lightning Trap for a bit more boss damage when you have time to setup, and for dealing with allies cannot die auras, and proximity shields.

As for your gear, the best cheap upgrades you can do are:
- Replace a life flask with Wise Oak (make sure to adjust your resists with Lightning highest and Cold lowest or better Cold = Fire)
- Quality all flasks to 20%. Quality the important flasks to 26% using rank 3 Hillock in Research (this costs no currency, just time).
- Get a level 21 Arc, either by leveling a bunch yourself in your weapon swap and corrupting them, or buying one. Lvl 21 Arc is a pretty significant improvement over lvl 20. Arc gem quality isn't that important for us.
- Spend about 30c on a Clarity Watcher's Eye jewel. Look for one with "#% chance to recover 10% of maximum mana when you use a skill while affected by Clarity" Also, use lvl 1 Clarity when you start using this jewel.

i see, thank you so much for making this clear, since im really confused why we need to use 6l lightning spire trap, if a 6L arc damage is already high, i bought myself a 5link loreweave, the arc dmg is quite lower, but still does it job really good at boss map, i will saving to buy lv21 arc, or a watcher eye, and maybe i will still using 2 life flask, since im kinda suck, and this is my current gear now
Spoiler
Last edited by keroro800 on Jan 24, 2019, 7:29:06 AM

I deal plenty of damage, but have problems surviving against Uber Elder. Any tips?
I use one wrath jewel, and rest life jewels.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info