[3.17] Beginner Friendly Arc Mines Guide | All Content on 5L | Lvling Guide

"
poeGT wrote:
Just a question. I am not getting the QOL 4lplaystyle. Smoke mines+duration has nothing to do with the spelltotem_detonate right? Just linked because it all fits.

So are you running in throwing the spell totem+detonate down then lay mines for auto detonate? Because the range of spell totem is really small and laying mines+detonating yourself is the exact same amount of key presses. Is it for bosses you so you can just hold down arc mine while totem detonates it? Even then, if you hold down arc mines you just have to press detonate mines.

How are you using the smoke mines? They have to be cast separately as well and it feels clunky. I found removing phase from cast on hit and using it manually was more than enough speed and replacing the cwdt link with duration.

Maybe I am missing something with the gameplay here, let me know thanks. Before I read your QOL set-up I was basically just running in with flasks up, throw a mine, hit detonate, move on. For rare packs I will just 2 mines instead of one. Bosses I throw all my spires then just hold down mines and spam detonate. Is this correct or wrong?

Is anyone using this in HC? I seeing a lot of grace+decoys being used, I am using decoy myself for now but I am out of gem slots. What about vaal RF? I see it used in the videos then in the pastebin it's not there.

totem is used for things that you cant kill fast or lots of stuff (at least thats mostly what i use it for)

Aslong as the totem is alive you can just cast mines 100% of the time and they go off so you get tons of mines off in a small amount of time

Its pretty good for things like breaches or abyses

This may not be doable unless you have the flask that lets you cast spells without a cost tho
Last edited by Lynerus on Jan 14, 2019, 3:53:44 AM
double posted somehow delete me
Last edited by Lynerus on Jan 14, 2019, 3:52:27 AM
"
I apologise if this has already been addressed in this thread (the search function on the forum sucks), but is there an ES path for this build? I see other trap builds using LL/ES, but I'd prefer to stay true to this build but go into ES. I love the build for everything else, besides the fact that I'd like to try LL/ES.

You can definitely go LL with arc mines. You should be able to find a guide on the forum or at least some setups on poeninja. Keeping everything else the same is obviously not an option. You need a completely different tree, jewels, and every gear piece has other priorities, including a specific unique chest, amulet, jewel (and possibly ring, boots).

Overall it is more expensive to get going, but once you are there it can be quite good. From what I have seen, at equal investment, you get a bit less damage (despite pain attunement) and flexibility (like instant life flasks) but better defense against large physical hits due to the higher EHP.
"
I apologise if this has already been addressed in this thread (the search function on the forum sucks), but is there an ES path for this build? I see other trap builds using LL/ES, but I'd prefer to stay true to this build but go into ES. I love the build for everything else, besides the fact that I'd like to try LL/ES.

Google Windz gc miner. He has a LL version. Gc scales off of phys dmg so the starting nodes differ I believe. However combining that tree with this guide's tree should be easy
"
Garash wrote:
"

Google Windz gc miner. He has a LL version. Gc scales off of phys dmg so the starting nodes differ I believe. However combining that tree with this guide's tree should be easy

"
chochom wrote:
You can definitely go LL with arc mines. You should be able to find a guide on the forum or at least some setups on poeninja. Keeping everything else the same is obviously not an option. You need a completely different tree, jewels, and every gear piece has other priorities, including a specific unique chest, amulet, jewel (and possibly ring, boots).

Overall it is more expensive to get going, but once you are there it can be quite good. From what I have seen, at equal investment, you get a bit less damage (despite pain attunement) and flexibility (like instant life flasks) but better defense against large physical hits due to the higher EHP.

thank you for the pointers! that gives me a good enough start :) i want to move over to ES in SSF, so i think it will be quite a while until i can reliably do that.
This guide does a terrible job of explaining when it comes to which gems to use and where to socket them. While it was easy to follow at first, upon further inspection of his characters, everything that was written in the guide seemed to contradict with the build that he is using himself -at least gem wise. I appreciate the time that he took to write this build, but it is downright confusing.

For starters
1)Is it more optimal to place arc in a 4L helmet with a "Remote mine" support or to simply place arc in a 6L chest piece with lightning spire trap in the 4L? The guide didn't mention arc being placed in the chest piece at all, but after reading a few replies on this thread, it seemed to be that the general consensus was that placing arc in the 6L is better than lightning spire in the 6L. There was even a comment regarding how GC in the helm with hypo and arc in the chest would be more efficient than arc in helm and LST in the chest.

2)If lightning spire is to be placed in the 6L, the guide says to support it with "Lightning Spire Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Lightning Penetration - Added Lightning - Controlled Destruction - Increased Critical Strikes". Yet in his character he uses "Lightning Spire Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Elemental Focus - Added Lightning - Advanced Traps - Lightning Pen". What are the pros and cons of each one? Also, should added cold damage or TnM support be added in the 4L arc helm?

3)Finally, the most frustrating part is figuring out which QoL gems to use. He states in the guide to use "smoke mines, detonate mines, spell totem, and inc duration" yet he doesn't even use smoke mines in any of his chars. He uses bear trap in one of his chars and replies on this thread have been talking about using vaal RF. Other gems have been mentioned too so I am curious about the playstyles of each.

This was in no way to bash the guide writer; it was to simply point out some sections that could use improving on. I would have plugged and chugged each of the gems in PoB, but there have been a few comments stating that the calculations would be incorrect due to shock or something of that sort.
I'm having some confusions with this guide aswell. :/

At first leveling and mapping went very smoothly but in the late game I have encountered the same problems like others have pointed out: Which gems to use in which linked setup, where to socket which gems (helm or armor) etc...

It is a good build that's for sure and until now I was able to kill everything except uber elder and the new mastermind boss.

I think I got a fairly good equip so far, yet I'm still having problems to kill uber elder but I'm unsure whether I'm just too bad with my movement, flask timing etc. or if I'm doing something wrong I'm not aware of.

I compared my char in path of building with op's char and whereas he got an average damage of ~32k, I have nearly 60k - yet killing t16 bosses, elder guardians or shaper is not that easy and fast as it should or could be imo.

The whole thing with the spell totem was also very confusing to me. Meanwhile I got rid of it completeley and I'm just selfcasting mines and detonating manually. Not sure if that's the reason for failing uber elder. :o
Last edited by mongomonki on Jan 15, 2019, 10:13:09 AM
"
Perplexities wrote:
This guide does a terrible job of explaining when it comes to which gems to use and where to socket them. While it was easy to follow at first, upon further inspection of his characters, everything that was written in the guide seemed to contradict with the build that he is using himself -at least gem wise. I appreciate the time that he took to write this build, but it is downright confusing.

For starters
1)Is it more optimal to place arc in a 4L helmet with a "Remote mine" support or to simply place arc in a 6L chest piece with lightning spire trap in the 4L? The guide didn't mention arc being placed in the chest piece at all, but after reading a few replies on this thread, it seemed to be that the general consensus was that placing arc in the 6L is better than lightning spire in the 6L. There was even a comment regarding how GC in the helm with hypo and arc in the chest would be more efficient than arc in helm and LST in the chest.

2)If lightning spire is to be placed in the 6L, the guide says to support it with "Lightning Spire Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Lightning Penetration - Added Lightning - Controlled Destruction - Increased Critical Strikes". Yet in his character, he uses "Lightning Spire Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Elemental Focus - Added Lightning - Advanced Traps - Lightning Pen". What are the pros and cons of each one? Also, should added cold damage or TnM support be added in the 4L arc helm?

3)Finally, the most frustrating part is figuring out which QoL gems to use. He states in the guide to use "smoke mines, detonate mines, spell totem, and inc duration" yet he doesn't even use smoke mines in any of his chars. He uses bear trap in one of his chars and replies on this thread have been talking about using vaal RF. Other gems have been mentioned too so I am curious about the playstyles of each.

This was in no way to bash the guide writer; it was to simply point out some sections that could use improving on. I would have plugged and chugged each of the gems in PoB, but there have been a few comments stating that the calculations would be incorrect due to shock or something of that sort.

1) with "remote mine" and "place an additional mine" helm, many ppl (myself included) keep lvl 21 arc in 6L chest and able to do all contend with 4L helm lightning spire trap. I had the GC confusion b4 as well and someone pointed out GC is used for a different build so I stopped using it. use PoB for different combo for highest damage. You can check my character for reference, I can kill uber elder but not deathless nor as fast as others.

2) I think the advantage of using advanced trap is faster uptime for the trap. I don't use added cold damage as i play in softcore, TnM support has much more damage

3) I don't use spell totem to denote and do it myself, and definitely not for mapping in general as to cast the totem is too slow. Also, the good / bad thing about this build is there are many possibilities. Many ppl uses a different set up in different situation.

I personally do not use smoke mine, sometimes uses bear trap, vaal grace, vaal summon skeleton, vaal righteous fire (need to be careful when to use it). Depending on what boss I go up against. Also, I would suggest using 1 golem, I use stone golem myself (although it keeps dying for uber elder and most of the time i don't have time to self cast while fighting him)

for example, I found vaal summon skeleton is very convenient again Chimera and vaal righteous fire useful when I am safe and can / need a burst damage. Bear trap when I feel safe to use (takes time to lay it).

Last edited by kchan821 on Jan 15, 2019, 11:32:55 AM
i finally killed uber elder after 5 sets. :p (it's my first uberelder kill actually and bitch didn't dropped watchers eye..) i just wanted to know if this build is for really a good starter and poor man's friend. that's why i didn't spend too much on this. i killed everything except mastermind. now, i will start all leagues with this build if arc is not nerfed. thank you op, i already thanked you at game before. :p

jewels/all crafted:

switched for uberelder:

flame golem+smoke mine+clarity

i think these gloves are bis for this build. actualhorn, pls consider:

cost:
wand: 40c
shield: dropped
helmet: 30c / enchant: myself
armor: 50c / corrupted myself on incursion temple
essence worm: 40c
ring2: dropped
amulet: 15c
belt: 80c
boots: dropped
gloves: 30c
Last edited by freakydouche on Jan 15, 2019, 2:26:34 PM
SSF Uber elder down. Was SIGNIFICANTLY easier than I thought...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info