[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

Hey Fiver when you have a chance could you take a peek at my character. I have about two ex right now, as I havent been able to play much this season. I am trying out ToA but dont like it as much as bloodseeker. Not sure what I can update next. Im only on yellow maps, so my damage is still pretty good. Just need a direction to focus my spending.
What would i change if i wanted farruls fur?
"
Smartbinder wrote:
So i decided to exclude the rage gem from main FB setup due to suck this stacking mechanic and realising that I don't even hit berserk even in complicated fights. So this is the poeninja feature to enlarge your dps on paper, but in mapping and especially in boss fights like uber elder or so dmg on full life is much better. POB says that i loose almost 1.5kk dps due to berserk, but without it comparing with 50 rage stacks dmg on full life provides about +500k and muuuuuch easier to sustain. And so to say, berserk bonuses deteriorates quite fast, so personally i don't think that it worth to use it. At the uber elder, for example, at the end of the fight i had ~50 rage stacks, but why do i need them if the fight is already over? And the map bosses just dissapears even with my current links.

TL;DR: if you want to hit t1 dps on poeninja, continue to use rage+berserk, using it both in quite rare situations. Otherwise use dmg on full life - and have much better overall dps, qol and less buttons to hit before fight.

(Edit: I realised after posting and re-reading that I may sound a bit hostile. That is not my intention. Please don't take it that way.)

Ok, so first of all.
In the PoB blueprint, I have the rage set to 30. I could've put it at 50, but realistically you aren't gonna be at 50 rage most of the time, so I didn't do that.

Second.
I don't care about poe.ninja. I do, however, care about my PoB and the realistic expectations of the builds damage output. Because that's where people should be looking. I really hope people don't decide what builds to play based on what they see on poeninja.

But let's get serious.
You don't need 50 rage stacks for Rage and Berserk to be effective. The strength of the Berserk is not affected at all by the amount of rage stacks you have. The only difference will be how long it lasts.
If you wait for it to reach 50 stacks before using it every time, of course it's gonna be bad for. You're not using it correctly.

It's not like burst skills have to last 20+ seconds in order to be good.
The third time I use it in the UE fight linked below I have 11 stacks and it still lasted 4 seconds. That's the same as Vaal Haste. Is Vaal Haste bad? Of course not. It's incredibly powerful.

During a fight like Uber Elder you can use Berserk lots of times.
In the first Uber fight for me this league I used Berserk a total of 7(!) times. On one of those I was on 50 stacks. And that one would have lasted well above 10 seconds if I hadn't get slowed by Elder half way through.

13 Stacks
29 Stacks (would easily have been 50 if I hadn't died at 1.00)
11 Stacks
50 Stacks
18 Stacks
21 Stacks
18 Stacks

Furthermore, when it comes to mapping you'll stay at high rage easy when you move from pack to pack. You rarely spend more than 4 seconds between packs unless you are looting chests from a blight encounter or something similiar.
And you will have berserk up when you need it 90% of the time. And it will last long enough to make an impact.

Rage and Berserk are incredibly strong.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Sep 21, 2019, 8:52:24 PM
Hey Fiver,
I really like Frost Blades and your build, but I have some questions.
I dont really know what to upgrade right now, so can you please have a look at my character?

Im planning on getting a new claw with higher dps and Taste of Hate right now.
Having a bit of a problem with attribute requirements tho, I have to take a lot of stat nodes and I also anointed Utmost Might to barely get the strength I need.
I also got a 6link Fur wich I really like, so dont want to change that yet.

Havent looked into enchantments and corruptions yet, im also missing the more expensive jewels.

I just dont know what to prioritize.
Keine Reue
Fantastic guide, I love not having to switch weapons on a build. I mostly just run around with Ruthless on as killing bosses on TD takes a little bit longer than I like with Ancestral.

My current gear. I'm still working on map clear but I've cleared all of white/yellow maps and most of red. Looking to save up for Pandemonius/shield next after finally getting the Ex for the weapon, curse ring and belt today.

Main problem I've had so far is juggling stats/res on so few items/skills.
Other minor problem is that blood rage barely gets cast as I barely get hit by mobs, they literally get their turn animation before getting splat but I'd like to have it up and ready for bosses, have you ever used it manually?

Last edited by Jacobite on Sep 21, 2019, 9:57:37 PM
"
Fiver wrote:
Spoiler
"
Smartbinder wrote:
So i decided to exclude the rage gem from main FB setup due to suck this stacking mechanic and realising that I don't even hit berserk even in complicated fights. So this is the poeninja feature to enlarge your dps on paper, but in mapping and especially in boss fights like uber elder or so dmg on full life is much better. POB says that i loose almost 1.5kk dps due to berserk, but without it comparing with 50 rage stacks dmg on full life provides about +500k and muuuuuch easier to sustain. And so to say, berserk bonuses deteriorates quite fast, so personally i don't think that it worth to use it. At the uber elder, for example, at the end of the fight i had ~50 rage stacks, but why do i need them if the fight is already over? And the map bosses just dissapears even with my current links.

TL;DR: if you want to hit t1 dps on poeninja, continue to use rage+berserk, using it both in quite rare situations. Otherwise use dmg on full life - and have much better overall dps, qol and less buttons to hit before fight.

(Edit: I realised after posting and re-reading that I may sound a bit hostile. That is not my intention. Please don't take it that way.)

Ok, so first of all.
In the PoB blueprint, I have the rage set to 30. I could've put it at 50, but realistically you aren't gonna be at 50 rage most of the time, so I didn't do that.

Second.
I don't care about poe.ninja. I do, however, care about my PoB and the realistic expectations of the builds damage output. Because that's where people should be looking. I really hope people don't decide what builds to play based on what they see on poeninja.

But let's get serious.
You don't need 50 rage stacks for Rage and Berserk to be effective. The strength of the Berserk is not affected at all by the amount of rage stacks you have. The only difference will be how long it lasts.
If you wait for it to reach 50 stacks before using it every time, of course it's gonna be bad for. You're not using it correctly.

It's not like burst skills have to last 20+ seconds in order to be good.
The third time I use it in the UE fight linked below I have 11 stacks and it still lasted 4 seconds. That's the same as Vaal Haste. Is Vaal Haste bad? Of course not. It's incredibly powerful.

During a fight like Uber Elder you can use Berserk lots of times.
In the first Uber fight for me this league I used Berserk a total of 7(!) times. On one of those I was on 50 stacks. And that one would have lasted well above 10 seconds if I hadn't get slowed by Elder half way through.

13 Stacks
29 Stacks (would easily have been 50 if I hadn't died at 1.00)
11 Stacks
50 Stacks
18 Stacks
21 Stacks
18 Stacks

Furthermore, when it comes to mapping you'll stay at high rage easy when you move from pack to pack. You rarely spend more than 4 seconds between packs unless you are looting chests from a blight encounter or something similiar.
And you will have berserk up when you need it 90% of the time. And it will last long enough to make an impact.

Rage and Berserk are incredibly strong.

It's okay, i personally don't take it so hostile :)
But mate, at my point of dps I don't really need berserk to boost my dps during mapping.
And the specific content of this league don't offer us ability to sustain rage charges during whole map, due to time taken for mushroom events, looting boxes and so on.
The next is that berserk draining our rage stacks and makes rage as support gem less effective - as far is it not so much effective already, if we are speaking about affecting our dps. Therefore we have some gaps in our dps output. And some time is needed to increase it on previous level.
Mostly, i used berserk for periods of fights when i needed to terminate something asap, like second stage of lich encounter in delve, final stage of elder and uber elder. In all other situations everything dissapears without need of berserk activation.

Of course, this is my personal opinion and some kind of development in basic build. Don't take it as critic or so.
Cheers
ИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИХИ
"
Smartbinder wrote:

sure man, reduce your ehp to ~2k hp and have fun being on the poe.ninja board for high dps
Hi.. can have a look of my gear? What is my next step? Upgrade body armour or get a pandemonius?
I think likely more towards the body armou as i have enuf currency to buy fated connection.
I have dilemma here..
Do i get loreweave or a rare crafted body armour?
1) loreweave seems to giv a Lot of dmg but no survivality or resistance. Does rare crafted has more damage witg the maim skill?
2) if rare crafted body armour what base would u recommend? Ilvl86 Zodiac leather or assasin garb? is assasin garb 3 % movement implicit worth over zodiac with its slightly lower evasion?
*** elder zodiac base is more expensive than assasin garb currently.

BTW
i plan to multimod an amulet for MF - left three open prefix

what stats do u think i shud put?
-life/ cold attack / elemental damage to attack
-physical dmg/ cold attack / elemental damage
-cold attack/ elemental damage to attack/ projectile speed + projectile damage
Last edited by tky0414 on Sep 22, 2019, 9:07:21 AM
Now I realize that Rage/Berserk are really good but I never liked it and I never will. I switched Rage to Ice Bite - synergizes pretty well with a lot of frenzy charges anyways. I hate timer mechanics and having rage stacks means that I constantly have to move or lose them - and I like just messing around, picking stuff up, getting lost because of course that's what I do. Hence why I don't use rage.

On a side note - you can also use lightning strike without even really changing anything and it works just as well - I sometimes do it just for fun. Frost Blades are stronger but LS is still competetive - I just switch out the two threshold jewels and annoint pierce. If you get bored using Frostblades you can also try that. You do need to learn to stay at a proper distance so that the enemy is hit by LS twice thanks to ancestral but it only really matters for bosses.

All in all i have to say I underestimated Frostblades for the longest time mainly because of how weak the very early levels are - but once it gets going - it goes all the way.
hypothermia or nightblade which better ? guys !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info