[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

I'd just like to thank you for this build. I used it as the base for my build.

After I got the caustic arrow build put together nicely, I was looking at another character that I was having a hard time with. My Bane / Obliteration witch.

Suddenly, I had an idea.

This build focuses strongly on chaos and AoE enhancements. Those are also important to a Bane Pop build.

I looked at my character's stats, and realized that she was only 8 points from being able to equip Obliteration wands. I tweaked the build slightly, and now have those intelligence points I needed.

So, right now, I have a Ranger Raider with Caustic arrow on his 6L bow, and Bane on a 6L Kintsugi.

When I flip weapons, I swap bow and quiver for dual Obliterations.

I run Grace and Herald of Ash and can still use either attack quite nicely.

I link Despair with Bane, and when fighting tough critters, I will slap it with Bane & Despair for DPS and chaos damage debuff, then smack it with the caustic arrow bow.

Caustic arrow will mostly do the job that Bane does, but with the dual Obliterations and Herald of Ash running, It is much easier to rapidly take out large and/or slightly spread out groups.

So, currently I'm running around as a Ranger Raider, carrying a bow and two obliterations, and enjoying it greatly :)

I have been doing a lot of higher content than I've ever done before, but not end-game stuff yet. The ranger is only L88. Tonight I did a couple T12 rare corrupted maps easily with no deaths.

Bane, right now, is only a L17 gem. Despair and the four support gems I run with Bane are all L15-18. (Efficacy, Void Manipulation, Swift Affliction, Controlled Destruction.)

Right now, a lot of rare mobs, even those that are not hexproof, take a while to kill with Bane, so I use caustic arrow for more then bosses, but I expect that to change as the Bane gems level up.

I also run a Starkonja's Silken Hood with the build. If something does hit me, and I'm hurt, that extra evasion sure is nice. I do not think either Caustic Arrow's puddle, or the Bane effect are impacted by the damage penalty from the hood when injured. However I rarely get hit. Unless I am fighting a boss, or more than one rare at a time, I frequently just facetank any small groups.

Thanks again for the great build!
I saw you got your body armor already on ssf! Congrats! Just wondering did you use any method or just lucky drop?

Edit: So I noticed for your gem setups you need a 2red 2blue piece so I went to look at your gear to see what you were using for it and notice you were using plate boots so decided I better start picking up everything if thats what I'm going to need and the very first plate item I pick up was these boots o.o

Edit2: Also do you use quartz flask just for the extra 10% dodge on each? Just curious as you didn't mention quartz at all but seem to be running it this league

https://imgur.com/a/HLfuDPX
Last edited by BoozBear on Dec 17, 2019, 2:39:23 AM
"
DankawSL wrote:

"
I am following this great guide (thank you!) but am pretty new to the game. One thing that I don't quite know how to handle is key bindings. How do you usually bind your mouse buttons and keys for potions and skills?

I have lots of videos, in each of them you can see what keys im using. I only really changed R and T to mouse buttons. On those keys i have flares and dynamite instead.

Right, sorry, I should have thought of looking at the videos. Everyone on Twitch seems to bind "move" to LMB and the main attack to RMB, but for me, it somehow feels easier to switch Tab and Shift and bind LMB to primary attack (Caustic Arrow) and then attack by pressing Shift while running. That frees up the RMB to be the secondary attack (Toxic Rain). I wonder why nobody at the high level does it this way. Oh well.
Thank you a lot for amazing guide! Helping me 2nd temporary league.

What do you think about Atziri's Step? Good for mapping and end-game?
Just wanna start by saying thanks a lot for this guide. This is the second season (first one was betrayal and was also last time i played poe) I use it and it's been great for me, I'm currently top 5 raider on HC!

Can you help me understand how steelskin is better than IC+CWDT? I feel like the only way I'm ever gonna die is a big fat hit goes through and when it does I have IC to save my ass and my instant flasks. I don't think steelskin was a gem the last time I played so I'm not sure if I quite understand it.

Back to maps!
"
"
DankawSL wrote:

"
I am following this great guide (thank you!) but am pretty new to the game. One thing that I don't quite know how to handle is key bindings. How do you usually bind your mouse buttons and keys for potions and skills?

I have lots of videos, in each of them you can see what keys im using. I only really changed R and T to mouse buttons. On those keys i have flares and dynamite instead.

Right, sorry, I should have thought of looking at the videos. Everyone on Twitch seems to bind "move" to LMB and the main attack to RMB, but for me, it somehow feels easier to switch Tab and Shift and bind LMB to primary attack (Caustic Arrow) and then attack by pressing Shift while running. That frees up the RMB to be the secondary attack (Toxic Rain). I wonder why nobody at the high level does it this way. Oh well.

Because when you run through packs and press on an enemy it will shoot and stop moving. You'll get into trouble eventually :P.
Last edited by Kodesterx on Dec 17, 2019, 5:36:49 PM
You guys are incredibly active this league. I usually have much less traffic out here. I wonder why the guide is popular considering nobody recommended me from streamers (as far as i'm aware).

"
Darthuns wrote:
Spoiler
This will be my 4rth league using this specific build.

So far i always had great fun with it in softcore league.

My biggest problem is keeping track of my frenzy charges.

most of the time i dont need to curse, trash dies so quick its longer to stop to shoot a frenzy than just keep moving. But i'm worried im doing something wrong by not having frenzy up all the time.

How important is it to keep frenzy up ? How much damage is it providing to the chaos dot ? or is it just for the initial hit ?

I'd like to know more about the importance and use of frenzy for this build and if frenzy gives damage to the caustic cloud ?

3 frenzy charges = 12% more damage, 12% attack and cast speed.

While farming you shouldn't need any frenzy charges. It's only for bosses, really. 3 frenzies also ensure we have phasing and with it elemental ailment immunity, even if onslaught didn't proc.

"
Cheopis wrote:
Spoiler
I'd just like to thank you for this build. I used it as the base for my build.

After I got the caustic arrow build put together nicely, I was looking at another character that I was having a hard time with. My Bane / Obliteration witch.

Suddenly, I had an idea.

This build focuses strongly on chaos and AoE enhancements. Those are also important to a Bane Pop build.

I looked at my character's stats, and realized that she was only 8 points from being able to equip Obliteration wands. I tweaked the build slightly, and now have those intelligence points I needed.

So, right now, I have a Ranger Raider with Caustic arrow on his 6L bow, and Bane on a 6L Kintsugi.

When I flip weapons, I swap bow and quiver for dual Obliterations.

I run Grace and Herald of Ash and can still use either attack quite nicely.

I link Despair with Bane, and when fighting tough critters, I will slap it with Bane & Despair for DPS and chaos damage debuff, then smack it with the caustic arrow bow.

Caustic arrow will mostly do the job that Bane does, but with the dual Obliterations and Herald of Ash running, It is much easier to rapidly take out large and/or slightly spread out groups.

So, currently I'm running around as a Ranger Raider, carrying a bow and two obliterations, and enjoying it greatly :)

I have been doing a lot of higher content than I've ever done before, but not end-game stuff yet. The ranger is only L88. Tonight I did a couple T12 rare corrupted maps easily with no deaths.

Bane, right now, is only a L17 gem. Despair and the four support gems I run with Bane are all L15-18. (Efficacy, Void Manipulation, Swift Affliction, Controlled Destruction.)

Right now, a lot of rare mobs, even those that are not hexproof, take a while to kill with Bane, so I use caustic arrow for more then bosses, but I expect that to change as the Bane gems level up.

I also run a Starkonja's Silken Hood with the build. If something does hit me, and I'm hurt, that extra evasion sure is nice. I do not think either Caustic Arrow's puddle, or the Bane effect are impacted by the damage penalty from the hood when injured. However I rarely get hit. Unless I am fighting a boss, or more than one rare at a time, I frequently just facetank any small groups.

Thanks again for the great build!

Whatever works for you. Glad i could help create something new you like.

"
BoozBear wrote:
Spoiler
I saw you got your body armor already on ssf! Congrats! Just wondering did you use any method or just lucky drop?

Edit: So I noticed for your gem setups you need a 2red 2blue piece so I went to look at your gear to see what you were using for it and notice you were using plate boots so decided I better start picking up everything if thats what I'm going to need and the very first plate item I pick up was these boots o.o

Edit2: Also do you use quartz flask just for the extra 10% dodge on each? Just curious as you didn't mention quartz at all but seem to be running it this league

I'm trying to do metamorphs (despite how tedious collecting body parts is) and i have few priorities when it comes to rewards. Prophecy is one of them, they often drop prophecy chains. I simply saved up my coins until i found Deadly Rivalry.

Gloves and boots don't matter too when it comes to item base. Obviously it would be awesome to have evasion base, but gotta work with what you get. Helmet is important to have on evasion base since it has high evasion values.

Quartz is for dodge/spell dodge, yep. It also gives me ele ailment immunity when i'm entering the map which is small extra safety bonus.

"
Spoiler

With attack skill on left mouse button you'll attack any monster on your cursor. That means when you're moving around and try to dodge an important attack and mouse over an enemy... you'll have a bad time. That's why binding move only to LMB is often one of the first things people do before arriving at first town.

"
LithicTRG wrote:
Thank you a lot for amazing guide! Helping me 2nd temporary league.

What do you think about Atziri's Step? Good for mapping and end-game?

I mention it in equipment section. Yes, they're great and you can use them. That's assuming you have enough resistances.

"
S03 wrote:
Spoiler
Just wanna start by saying thanks a lot for this guide. This is the second season (first one was betrayal and was also last time i played poe) I use it and it's been great for me, I'm currently top 5 raider on HC!

Can you help me understand how steelskin is better than IC+CWDT? I feel like the only way I'm ever gonna die is a big fat hit goes through and when it does I have IC to save my ass and my instant flasks. I don't think steelskin was a gem the last time I played so I'm not sure if I quite understand it.

Back to maps!

Their purpose is similar, it's a matter of preference. Steelskin is simply offers more effective life pool in most troublesome scenarios and includes chaos damage. Immortal Call is stronger if you want it to be spammed constantly or if you gain endurance charges.

Which one is better depends heavily on the situation.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Hey Dan,

As always - great build. A few questions specific to Metamorph league:

- You mentioned farming Desert Maps. Is it just as simple as run a Desert Map to get the bonus then move on to Tier 3s and collect a large number of Deserts? So far I've got a whopping 0.

- Any word on the extra DoT affixes teased at the start of the league?

EDIT: Removed question about Quivers. I see now that's covered in the guide.

Thanks, and best of luck.
Last edited by maxdking on Dec 17, 2019, 12:49:51 PM
"
DankawSL wrote:
You guys are incredibly active this league. I usually have much less traffic out here. I wonder why the guide is popular considering nobody recommended me from streamers (as far as i'm aware).
"
BoozBear wrote:
Spoiler

I'm trying to do metamorphs (despite how tedious collecting body parts is) and i have few priorities when it comes to rewards. Prophecy is one of them, they often drop prophecy chains. I simply saved up my coins until i found Deadly Rivalry.

Gloves and boots don't matter too when it comes to item base. Obviously it would be awesome to have evasion base, but gotta work with what you get. Helmet is important to have on evasion base since it has high evasion values.

Quartz is for dodge/spell dodge, yep. It also gives me ele ailment immunity when i'm entering the map which is small extra safety bonus.

Tarkecat gave your guide a shout out so that's probably why, it's how I got here.

Also would you mind elaborating more on some of your priorities in both awards and what you look for as you progress? I know that's a super broad question but even just a super mashed short version would be great!

Cheers for the reply :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info