[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

Thanks @DankawSL - great guide!

I have played POE on and off since 2013, but never played CA. I was always a character DPS numbers screen whore, and didn't like dots. That being said, I wanted to try a new ranged build for the PS4 launch.

I love this build, and while I have no idea what my DPS is, it is certainly high. Even though I am only level 58, I found a 5L bow, and essence crafted a +1. I just found a relatively cheap Kintsugi and 6S/5L it with 10 jewelers and 6 fusing!

So I am well on my way, but I have a couple questions. I am sorry if they were answered before, but I am bad at searching threads.

(1) I am currently running to Auras (Grace and Purity of Elements) with a remaining mana pool of 85. I run out of mana building 3 frenzy charges, but I rarely run out if I am casting CA (22 mana cost currently). Is the idea to run 2x Auras when mapping? Grace and Clarity? Can you get by with 2 defensive auras, or will mana be a problem? Is there any reduced mana reserve items that should be considered to help?

(2) I am confused by your bow crafting section, and the synthesis section. Generally, I am confused by sythesis crafting overall. My main question is, should I craft an endgame bow using fossil method or sythesis method? It seemed like fossil was your recommended choice during Delve league, but now I am not sure.

Oh - and this build seems great for console! Movement speed is your primary movement (instead of some type of teleport), which is ideal for using a controller instead of a mouse. Thanks!
IGN: Cimos_Baller
playing the game for the very first time on ps4 and choose your guide to follow - so thanks for writing it all out!

i have a lot of questions, but i belive i will search the wiki for it and not bug you - but one thing i want to know is why choose increase of poison damage in the skill tree? arent we doing chaos damage mostly? what skill/attack scales with poison?

thanks again!
Is it worth farming tabula with this build on Ssf Hc?
"
Cimos21 wrote:
Spoiler
Thanks @DankawSL - great guide!

I have played POE on and off since 2013, but never played CA. I was always a character DPS numbers screen whore, and didn't like dots. That being said, I wanted to try a new ranged build for the PS4 launch.

I love this build, and while I have no idea what my DPS is, it is certainly high. Even though I am only level 58, I found a 5L bow, and essence crafted a +1. I just found a relatively cheap Kintsugi and 6S/5L it with 10 jewelers and 6 fusing!

So I am well on my way, but I have a couple questions. I am sorry if they were answered before, but I am bad at searching threads.

(1) I am currently running to Auras (Grace and Purity of Elements) with a remaining mana pool of 85. I run out of mana building 3 frenzy charges, but I rarely run out if I am casting CA (22 mana cost currently). Is the idea to run 2x Auras when mapping? Grace and Clarity? Can you get by with 2 defensive auras, or will mana be a problem? Is there any reduced mana reserve items that should be considered to help?

(2) I am confused by your bow crafting section, and the synthesis section. Generally, I am confused by sythesis crafting overall. My main question is, should I craft an endgame bow using fossil method or sythesis method? It seemed like fossil was your recommended choice during Delve league, but now I am not sure.

Oh - and this build seems great for console! Movement speed is your primary movement (instead of some type of teleport), which is ideal for using a controller instead of a mouse. Thanks!

Yes, you will be using Grace/Malevolence and Clarity at the end game. The latter reserves only small portion of mana. Purity of Elements is only a situational aura to fix resistances, but it's not a permanent solution. Dread Banner that you should be using later on also reserves mana. Everything takes up ~75% of mana.

As i mention in the synthesis section - if you don't understand, it's better to stay away. That's because it's expensive, hard to understand and outcomes can be random. I really can't make it more simple than it already is. Yes, synthesised bows are stronger. No, you don't need them to finish the content. Keep using normal crafting section.

Movement speed is good on console - noted. I'm still worried about targetting tho. It might be good with overkill damage but might sucks in situations where enemy is ridiculously tanky. Also prefiring at location is a thing. Is that an issue or not at all?

"
conirhawk wrote:
Spoiler
playing the game for the very first time on ps4 and choose your guide to follow - so thanks for writing it all out!

i have a lot of questions, but i belive i will search the wiki for it and not bug you - but one thing i want to know is why choose increase of poison damage in the skill tree? arent we doing chaos damage mostly? what skill/attack scales with poison?

thanks again!

That particular poison cluster has general increase for attacks that deal chaos damage. It is not poison exclusive.

Any skill that deals physical/chaos damage with hits has ability to poison. It's much easier to scale it with attacks tho.

"
Lupofin wrote:
Is it worth farming tabula with this build on Ssf Hc?

Definitely. You don't have easy access to 5/6-links so Tabula is most certainly great to have until you can replace it. Farming acqueducts for hours might be tiring tho, you can try progressing maps with 4-link +1 or +2 bow until you farm the card in Channel.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Ty, when should I replace the tabula? When I have a +1 or +2 5l bow?
Minor update - with GGG announcing the fossil and essence crafting fix is ready to be deployed with next patch, i'll definitely take another look at potential synthesiser crafting methods. There's one in particular i have in mind that will definitely be included, specifically for bows. I won't be releasing it until patch hits and it's confirmed that it works (so shortly after).

"
Lupofin wrote:
Ty, when should I replace the tabula? When I have a +1 or +2 5l bow?

Correct, 5-link bow is definitely superior to Tabula, especially since you can now use a decent defensive chest. Make sure to use prophecies, i found three 5-link prophecies in my own SSF adventure this league.
Do you have any additional tips for SSF? Any specific items or div cards to farm?
"
Lupofin wrote:
Do you have any additional tips for SSF? Any specific items or div cards to farm?

I've posted some tips earlier, but i'll do it again:

* You'll be using Grace for most part, but against some tough bosses (shaper/elder etc.) it's good to have Malevolence to switch.
* Prophecies are no-brainer to use, Kintsugi and 5-link prophecies are relatively common.
* The Porcupine card can be extremely valuable. If you happen to get Shrieking Dread essence (that's T6) and get lucky, you can craft a nearly perfect 6-link bow without using your fusings. T13 Gardens, T14 Plaza and T8 Orchard drop it. High Gardens in act 8 can drop too, but the chance is so low i got 2 over ~4-5 hours of farming with 2 fresh characters (no/lower drop penalty).

* You should collect fractured bows in order to potentially craft +1 bow or +1 all gems. Chance is low, but if you get it then you have your end game bow to throw fusings at (i actually succeeded getting +1 bow personally).
* Pick up a lot of rare items in search for upgrades, you might find great item that you'll use for long time (since we care about hp/res mostly anyway). You also get a lot of alterations this way for potential synthesis crafting.

* Switching Swift Affliction <-> GMP really speeds up clear. I do that all the time.
* Aisling in transportation can really speed up finding chaos DoT multiplier craft. Guff in transport is also great for potential elder rare crafting (if you find one anyway).
* I found Quartz flask to be very good third utility flask. There's more and more spells added to the game so it's great defensively.

I don't have anything else that's build specific and is worthy of mentioning.
Just stopping by to tell this build+guide is awesome! Best character i've played. Thanks for the hard work!
Wouldn't volley be better than GMP for clearing ?
The size of the aoe seems to be almost the same, and the "less Projectile Damage" is smaller ?

Edit : thanks a lot for the answer !
Last edited by Vertymbras on Apr 6, 2019, 3:23:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info