[3.1][HC] Scorching RF Inquisitor - cheap starter build - ZiggyD

Something that isn't quite clear to me, as I've never really played any elemental builds and am somewhat of a noob when it comes to these kind of mechanics, is how Elemental Equilibrium works with the build.

From what I gathered, if you have an item adding elemental damage to attacks that counts when you shield charge into an enemy, activating EE for that element(on the case of my gear, 1 to 2 cold damage). But doesn't Righteous Fire activate EE first? I'd assume the mobs take at least a bit of damage from it while shield charge is traveling, don't they?

And if you can't shield charge into them, for far away enemies, it's just a free +25% fire res for them, as Orb of Storms won't ever reach those distances.

Also, would love if someone could give their opinion on my gear. Currently at lvl 74 in softcorem, saving for a 6l rare, though it's still ways off. Anything I missed/should look to upgrade?
Spoiler

Overall the build is pretty fun, and as others have said, leveling was trivial, bosses do indeed melt. I tend to play Ranger and wanted to try something more tanky/not completely clearspeed focused, and this definitely scratched that itch.
"
Willowfield wrote:
Something that isn't quite clear to me, as I've never really played any elemental builds and am somewhat of a noob when it comes to these kind of mechanics, is how Elemental Equilibrium works with the build.

From what I gathered, if you have an item adding elemental damage to attacks that counts when you shield charge into an enemy, activating EE for that element(on the case of my gear, 1 to 2 cold damage). But doesn't Righteous Fire activate EE first? I'd assume the mobs take at least a bit of damage from it while shield charge is traveling, don't they?

And if you can't shield charge into them, for far away enemies, it's just a free +25% fire res for them, as Orb of Storms won't ever reach those distances.

EE is based on the last hit. So in your example, RF triggers first, gives the enemies the +fire res and -cold/lightning, and then the cold damage triggers the +cold res and -fire/lightning until RF re-applies the original +fire/-cold,lightning when it ticks again (so RF gets the benefit of -fire res for only one tick). Orb is good because it constantly re-applies the lightning damage, but you're right that it sucks against distant targets or bosses that you can't constantly stay in range.

edit: just want to point out that RF + shield charge cold damage don't stack to cause +lightning/-fire,cold because they are two separate hits, even though they might occur at/around the same time (due to the nature of RF as a damage over time). The only time that would happen is if one single hit applied damage from more than one element, for example if you had +fire and +cold on your gear and shield dashed.
Last edited by Kuram on Aug 21, 2017, 1:38:25 PM
"
Kuram wrote:
"
Willowfield wrote:

EE is based on the last hit. So in your example, RF triggers first, gives the enemies the +fire res and -cold/lightning, and then the cold damage triggers the +cold res and -fire/lightning until RF re-applies the original +fire/-cold,lightning when it ticks again (so RF gets the benefit of -fire res for only one tick). Orb is good because it constantly re-applies the lightning damage, but you're right that it sucks against distant targets or bosses that you can't constantly stay in range.

edit: just want to point out that RF + shield charge cold damage don't stack to cause +lightning/-fire,cold because they are two separate hits, even though they might occur at/around the same time (due to the nature of RF as a damage over time). The only time that would happen is if one single hit applied damage from more than one element, for example if you had +fire and +cold on your gear and shield dashed.

This is entirely incorrect.

The base function of EE is to move resists when HIT with elemental damage. Neither RF nor SR HIT with elemental damage, they cause only damage over time, thus never causing EE to swap to fire.

EE is conveniently procced in this build either by having additive cold/lighting damage on gear (important to note that you avoid additive fire damage either for spells or attacks, or if you have it, at least be aware of the order by which additive damage is applied so that some element other than fire is added last), but more practically by Orb of Storms, whose hits increases lightning damage but lowers fire resists.
"
Thukker wrote:
The base function of EE is to move resists when HIT with elemental damage. Neither RF nor SR HIT with elemental damage, they cause only damage over time, thus never causing EE to swap to fire.

Oh, I see, that makes a lot of sense, just wasn't quite clear on the hit thing. Was gonna say it wasn't present on the in-game description but just read it again and apparently I missed it even after reading it a bunch of times.

Thanks a lot!
Loving this build so far. Here's what I'm currently running. I've got an Empower 3 for my Stone Golem and Clarity for a little extra juice. I'd like to replace the Brine King helm at some point for a rare helm, and go back to Immortal Flesh for my belt, but I'm finding myself undercaped on my res if I do that. I also had to pick up a 30+ dex node for a bit until I can find somewhere else to squeez some dex. This build is an amazing Uber Lab runner, which is a great way to farm up some currency to make your upgrades. I'd also like to get Witchfire and +1 curse going at some point.

Spoiler
Only lv15 atm but this build is feeling so good! Just a quick question-

If I have access to a Tabula, how can I make the most out of it? :o
I'm not sure how to link my gear but my profile is public. I'm currently level 88 in harbinger hardcore and I was wondering what I should be aiming for in terms of gear at this point.

Thanks.

so I tried this build out as my opener for sc and i have to say . there are situations where having rf eat your mana is a huge and i mean huge issue particularly if you are fighting guardian level content.

realistically speaking the vast majority of your running around mana will be taken by rf

to the point where i was at 245% mana regen, 2.3k mana and level 20 clarity .... rf took all but 4 mana per second to maintain. this was also with 88% fire res and both dot pantheons.

if i had any kind of dot going on. the mana would be gone so fast and never come back.

you are going to want that mana and life regen on hit on you boots. it is absolutely critical to get at-least the merciless one because it will be the only non interactive source of mana regen that will get you over the passive degen of rf.

it was so bad that i actually dropped rf for certain things like hall of grand masters , uber lab and uber atziri.

and got some use out of

this is a pretty fun unique all things considered.... if still a little weak.
Hey guys,

i have a problem with mana reg.
PoB told me i have enough regen (+145) but ingame i lose mana constantly. Why is this?! I dont have changed any calculations or options in any way. Can someone help me?

My Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/JJjt8rxY

With Atziris Foible as an amulet its working. But PoB told me, it should work with my new amulet im wearing too?!

sorry for my bad english..

PS: Its all in my hideout, no map mods or something.
PPS: And why is PoB telling me, i've only 81% unreserved mana? I use essence worm, i dont have any mana reservered.
Last edited by HeartsIV on Aug 22, 2017, 4:01:33 PM
"
HeartsIV wrote:
Hey guys,

i have a problem with mana reg.
PoB told me i have enough regen (+145) but ingame i lose mana constantly. Why is this?! I dont have changed any calculations or options in any way. Can someone help me?

My Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/JJjt8rxY

With Atziris Foible as an amulet its working. But PoB told me, it should work with my new amulet im wearing too?!

sorry for my bad english..

PS: Its all in my hideout, no map mods or something.

I'm not the most knowledgeable but I do have two suggestions:

PoB says picking up Deep Wisdom will give you 6.1 mana regen and a level 20 Purity of Fire will give you +1 more to max fire resistance.(Says yours is level 19 atm). Try that at see if it balances you out maybe.

Looking at the rest of your tree and gear I really don't know what else it could be, you seem to have all the bases covered, other than trying to get some higher flat mana rolls on some pieces when you can replace.

Last edited by Weregooch on Aug 22, 2017, 4:16:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info