Balance Changes to Chill, Shock, and Charges

ok, heres my thought on the charge situation...

if youre gonna do it in the future you got to go through the items and passives that stop making sense and change those too, switch up frenzy for power charges etc.

Regarding the 4% more spell damage... I think thats alright, power charges come down to 40%, ok, 30% is too low because you have to keep them up, its something u got to factor in. Even at 40%, you spend 2 passives to get one of these, that puts them at 20% per node + the hastle of working a way to generate into your build, having to keep them up. Well a generic little crappy crit chance node is already 20%, the small value ones, so 2 small nodes is better than a power charge even at 40% because theyre truly passive, 100% uptime, no curse on hit/skyforth/giving up a 3 or 4 link for orb of storms and casting it regularly... even at 40% a power charge is sort of bleh. If you want to calm down crit strikes why not make the small nodes all over the tree 5% less each? Maybe all the nodes? Maybe bring the rings down to 25%?

So looking at a situation where you got 40% crit chance + 4% more spell damage for a power, 4% more attack and 4% attack speed for a frenzy... essentially thats buffing caster dps while slightly nerfing crit attack. Ok, but what about non crit attack? Heres the thing, it could be argued for a long time endurance was the most powerful charge, and you could still make a case that its a powerful charge. But those builds, marauders, their damage is junk compared to crit spells and crit attacks. If it were me I might make this change to charges, but Id give endurance charges 4% more melee phys damage too.

That may make it the best charge in a way, but the builds using them are the worst builds. Their damage is still gonna be sub par compared to dex crit attackers and int casters, just not quite as sub par as it is already. Whats the worst thing that can happen? Serious people actually start playing melee marauders as much as casters and crit attackers? Surely that would be a good thing? Can we really see a day when melee physical endurance stackers are the meta? Where thats the hot thing ALL the ballers wanna play rather than their phys conversion barrage, srs, free deeps easy racer casters? No, I dont think were in any danger of that even if you have them a boost like that. So... why not? That could be a decent step in bringing some needed balance to that playstyle while all these dagger and claw frostbladers and crit casters are running around doing 2x, 3x, 4x their damage and really, is a dex attacker that much more fragile? Stick on a coil, get a basalt and a taste of hate, grab phase acro, boatload of evasion? I dunno that an armoured marauder is rly that more tanky I got to be honest and I feel like 4% more spell D for powers with frenzy already having 4% more damage, theyre really getting left out in the cold more and more in such a dps focused meta where the increased survivability of marauders isnt highly desired, if it even exists at all.
"
Destroyer989 wrote:
Was really looking forward to power charges having 4% more spell damage.

Would love to see this added to Elemental Overload to make them useful to noncrit builds.

+1
"
KoukenNZ wrote:
Thank you for reopening build diversity, find a better way to tweak charges if they still need a change

And to the people saying "youve caved into reddit, dont listen to reddit" shut the hell up
There was outcry on this forum aswell and the change was not good for build diversity, the very thing path of exile is known for. We dont want this game to end up like D3 where there is 2 or 3 viable builds for each class. We want completely fluid diversity.

Thanks GGG

Would you care to elaborate on how this reopened build diversity? It would so sadden me to find out you are just another parrot.

I mean the new power charges on non-crit caster builds opened up build diversity. Frenzy charges not being so OP that they had no competition opened up build diversity.

You don't seem to realize that when things are so powerful that they have no competition, it actually diminishes build diversity, it doesn't increase it.

Just because you had a build that would have stopped working after this change, doesn't mean there would have been less build diversity.

Your personal experiences do not constitute as build diversity.
Also new thresholds for chill/shock are a bit too low? Maybe just add "reduced shock/chill threshold" on the tree and increase to a more reasonable %? With 10% anyone with almost no investment can chill/shock. And I hope bosses have reduced ailments effectiveness at least.
Nerf or no Nerf i'm ok.

Just do not change the release date!
It's not the best idea to listen to hardcore and vocal community sometimes. But sometimes it is.

I fear this wasn't one of those times you should have listened to the community. People don't like changes until they become familiar with them. It's almost certain some players just wanted to keep their potentially overpowered builds and plans safe by rioting against this particular change. You probably got metrics from the beta server but I don't think it contains enough sample size or a sample that accurately reflects those who play the live game to reach into such conclusions that made you revert them back.

Same with the AH. This game needs a proper AH not some third party tool for those that want to gain huge advantages by using it. And that requires for you to come with an item-sink mechanic to remove top-quality items from the economy whether people like it or not. But you're delaying this issue because some part of the community doesn't want it.

I think you're just giving a bit more value to hardcore players' conservative behaviour nowadays.

I know you'll come with something even better in the near future. Just know that there'll be an even more outcry when a charge change comes to the live servers with it being the patch's focus and every pessimist conservative (hardcore) eye turned to it.

If it was up to me, I would roll with the changes, get the data and metrics from the live servers and quickly adjust the numbers if a necessity was risen.

Now it'll be more dramatic...
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
Last edited by permaximum on Aug 1, 2017, 4:59:47 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ok, heres my thought on the charge situation...

if youre gonna do it in the future you got to go through the items and passives that stop making sense and change those too, switch up frenzy for power charges etc.

Regarding the 4% more spell damage... I think thats alright, power charges come down to 40%, ok, 30% is too low because you have to keep them up, its something u got to factor in. Even at 40%, you spend 2 passives to get one of these, that puts them at 20% per node + the hastle of working a way to generate into your build, having to keep them up. Well a generic little crappy crit chance node is already 20%, the small value ones, so 2 small nodes is better than a power charge even at 40% because theyre truly passive, 100% uptime, no curse on hit/skyforth/giving up a 3 or 4 link for orb of storms and casting it regularly... even at 40% a power charge is sort of bleh. If you want to calm down crit strikes why not make the small nodes all over the tree 5% less each? Maybe all the nodes? Maybe bring the rings down to 25%?

So looking at a situation where you got 40% crit chance + 4% more spell damage for a power, 4% more attack and 4% attack speed for a frenzy... essentially thats buffing caster dps while slightly nerfing crit attack. Ok, but what about non crit attack? Heres the thing, it could be argued for a long time endurance was the most powerful charge, and you could still make a case that its a powerful charge. But those builds, marauders, their damage is junk compared to crit spells and crit attacks. If it were me I might make this change to charges, but Id give endurance charges 4% more melee phys damage too.

That may make it the best charge in a way, but the builds using them are the worst builds. Their damage is still gonna be sub par compared to dex crit attackers and int casters, just not quite as sub par as it is already. Whats the worst thing that can happen? Serious people actually start playing melee marauders as much as casters and crit attackers? Surely that would be a good thing? Can we really see a day when melee physical endurance stackers are the meta? Where thats the hot thing ALL the ballers wanna play rather than their phys conversion barrage, srs, free deeps easy racer casters? No, I dont think were in any danger of that even if you have them a boost like that. So... why not? That could be a decent step in bringing some needed balance to that playstyle while all these dagger and claw frostbladers and crit casters are running around doing 2x, 3x, 4x their damage and really, is a dex attacker that much more fragile? Stick on a coil, get a basalt and a taste of hate, grab phase acro, boatload of evasion? I dunno that an armoured marauder is rly that more tanky I got to be honest and I feel like 4% more spell D for powers with frenzy already having 4% more damage, theyre really getting left out in the cold more and more in such a dps focused meta where the increased survivability of marauders isnt highly desired, if it even exists at all.

For bosses: Switch set -> Throw traps -> Power charges at maximum. There you go.
For trash: Was this ever an issue?
Very sorry to see the threshold jewel vendor go. It felt like a natural progression from support gems in earlier acts, and for SSF it made the threshold jewels an actual thing that was in the game, rather than something so rare it might as well not exist.
Identity is cheap. Reputation is priceless.

Retired Let's Player.
Retired HC player.
Still a SSF hipster build player who loves Ruthless.
"
Rory wrote:

In Wave 4 of the Beta, we reduced the Increased Critical Chance granted by Power Charges bonus and gave them More Spell Damage, while changing Frenzy Charges to only grant its More Damage bonus to Attacks, to better align each of them with their appropriate attribute.
We received a lot of community feedback, with many people against the change and many people in favour of the direction of its nerfs. We have decided to take more time to discuss this change and its consequences, removing it from the 3.0.0 patch.

Meh, and there is going free 12% more damage for my spellcaster. At last GGG buffed something and withdrawn it at once due to moaning... :/
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
OMG! Power Siphon now OP!!! (no)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info