[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Here is the first updated Skilltree Picture:

Open in a new window, save it or zoom in to have a easier time reading ;)

As you can see, not much changed compared to the 2.6 tree/pic.

Mind over Matter is more in favour due to the change (works for dots now) and Bloodmagic only used with a tukohama fortress.

For Gems i would add a Clarity into the CWDT setup, like cwdt + stonegolem + Clarity.

With ancestral bonds Stonegolem + Ice/Lightning Trap + Clarity.

And ofc Burning Damage is now in the rf and SB setup, efficacy the 6th link in a soulmantle.

I changed the text in the pic a lot, should be better now for colorblind people (depending on the type, this helped at least one guy), more details which nodes to pick when and so on.

Now working on 2 different versions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 25, 2017, 2:48:16 PM

Added to the guide.

Explanation to those two skilltrees are coming. Currently writing about those ;)

Well they are basically the same, just for different classes and thus minor changes.

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 25, 2017, 4:10:51 PM
Todays updates

- Added Efficacy in the General Information section
- Bm/Mom/aura section updated. MoM is now more favourable and go to choice in most cases
- tukohama/soulmantle section. Changed my preference. I recommend dropping ancestral bonds one one of those items is used.
- Chieftain, Berserker or Ascendant? added the Ascendant class
- Gem section includes Burning Damage and Efficacy in some setups. had to remove some links to the gems because the beta doesnt allow me to link the updated/new gems. Will add it in 3.0
- Bandits updated
- Changed some order and text in the gear section. Added Starkonjas Head
- Outsourced the "gear, skilltree and gem excamples" in a few posts below the mainpost
- added Pantheon section
- added mana/manaregen rolls in the jewel section
- added clarity in the gemsetup
- updated the skilltree section
- moved the Playstyle section a post below

on my list are:

- Updating/Overhauling the leveling section for 3.0
- adding 3.0 Path of Building links
- adding scion to the "default" version
- adding some more detailed scion information
- coupled with the scion stuff, adding what the curses excactly do with 2x kikazaru.
- some tweaks in the gearing section for rare gear (new liferolls etc). Adding Pyre again.
- adding a picture of the aoe difference between both skilltree versions
- changing the 3.0 section from mainly theorycrafting to a changelog
- stuff i am missing
- stuff you guys suggest

things i can only add with the 3.0 release

- updating character section (obviously)
- linking the new/updated gems in the gem section
- maybe adding new/updated uniques in the gear list
- working skilltree links (use the pictures/path of building links)

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 25, 2017, 5:37:44 PM
"
Milkyslice wrote:
Hierophant, after playing him 2 times on the build, is shit.

Sanctuary of Thoughts is only useful with proper scaling for ES and if we spend any mana (which the build rarely does). You basically get a bit of es > get hit once > es is gone for like forever.

This node gets good if we travel in the shadow area for the life/es nodes.

Divine Guidance is the only good node.

Illuminated Devotion is great for leveling, but bad once a 4link soulmantle is aviable. Leech? no use for that. Penetration? nothing works. AoE? maybe fine for a blasphemy curse.

Pursuit of Faith is good against Rares in a pack and bad against bosses.

Practically the only thing a hierophant gains for the build is a slightly better MoM and manaregen.

I´d rather play a Hybrid life/es/mom (or CI / low life) Occultist than a Hierophant

Herald of Ash does nothing. It gains damage based on pyhsical dmg (we dont have any) and the overkill dmg is only triggered by kills via attacks (we dont attack).

I have played a hierophant rf totem dude in the beta and i was disappointed.

Edit: ive imported the hierophant tree into my character setup with 6l mantle and stuff like that. Its less than halve the dps (210k vs 460k) and around 600 less life while having 900 more mana and higher manaregen (140 vs 40 mana/sec).

The 10% MoM looks good but actually just changes where the damage lands. 8% less damage from the chieftain is overall better

Sup Milky, I wasn't tryin steal your thunder or nothin. Some things you said above don't really mesh with what I've seen though.

1. Herald of Ash is a burning damage MORE modifer and that has nothing to do with your weapon. http://i.imgur.com/blkiZQX.jpg

2. I wasn't even trying to get mana on my gear and I have 1500 mana AFTER reservation from a high level Clarity and Herald of Ash. So my mana regen is actually around 250.

3. That gives me 1500+ ES which you are right, is worthless against trash where you get hit a bunch, but it is wonderful against bosses where the big hits only comes once in a while and you have a few seconds in between to get back to full. With Mana and ES combined, I have an effective health pool of 9k without counting block or armor. And again, this is with not great gear. I could push those numbers way higher.

4. The DPS part is what I dont understand. I've snagged every damage option available. So I have no idea how you are doing twice what I am. But I will definitely be checking your Path of Building to see if there are any tweaks I can make in that regard.

5. Oh and Illuminated Devotion is what I get last for my Orb of Storms in Gloves. Just a quality of life thing. Could just as easily pick up the other minor node for Placement speed and mana regen.

I'm diggin the build a lot and you wrote a great guide. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

PM me or find me in game if I win. It's hard to keep track of all my bids.

IGN = ShatCrash
Last edited by koranuso on Jul 25, 2017, 7:01:34 PM
I am looking over mana and mana regen numbers for Chieftain and Berserker versions of these builds in path of building and it seems very low to run MOM and sustain any hits and still have mana for movement skills or orb of storms.

Especially if you are running Berserker since you most likely require purity of fire and clarity reserving a huge chunk of your mana (55%).

With Chieftain this should be a bit better if you have more unreserved mana.

I will try to test them out leveling as berserker to see if it feels ok after you get Warbringer, or it feels more comfortable running some of the other aura options.

How has MOM felt in beta so far with these chars Milkyslice?

I've died 3 times attempting to incorporate it into HC character early on, it is very vulnerable to multiple successive hits and leaves you immobile unless you have blood magic or equiv on the movement skill. Seems more at place with a trickster style build and excessive mana regen from cloak of defiance for example.
"
kager wrote:
I am looking over mana and mana regen numbers for Chieftain and Berserker versions of these builds in path of building and it seems very low to run MOM and sustain any hits and still have mana for movement skills or orb of storms.

Especially if you are running Berserker since you most likely require purity of fire and clarity reserving a huge chunk of your mana (55%).

With Chieftain this should be a bit better if you have more unreserved mana.

I will try to test them out leveling as berserker to see if it feels ok after you get Warbringer, or it feels more comfortable running some of the other aura options.

How has MOM felt in beta so far with these chars Milkyslice?

I've died 3 times attempting to incorporate it into HC character early on, it is very vulnerable to multiple successive hits and leaves you immobile unless you have blood magic or equiv on the movement skill. Seems more at place with a trickster style build and excessive mana regen from cloak of defiance for example.

I agree that those regen numbers are relatively low and need either a manaflask or further investment to keep it up longer.

Personally i am not totally sold for MoM on the endgame.

Ive played it on a hierophant (shit) version in the beta and it was great until i mapped 8 levels below the maplevel :p

Then stopped playing the betawave eith lvl 71 because i had no zana.

If it absolutely not works later in the game i would go back to bloodmagic (and for the curse focused version into auras/AA).

I will adress your concerns in the guide and rework a few things, since my tests were not too deep.

A berserker wont use purity of fire later in the game, the aura radius is limiting for bosses and for trash its not needed. we are talking about i minor longer uptime of ~0.2sec or something like that.

Overall i see MoM more like a hp pool puffer for sketchy situations and less like a full defence (like trickster/hierophants easier achieve).

"

Sup Milky, I wasn't tryin steal your thunder or nothin. Some things you said above don't really mesh with what I've seen though.

1. Herald of Ash is a burning damage MORE modifer and that has nothing to do with your weapon. http://i.imgur.com/blkiZQX.jpg

2. I wasn't even trying to get mana on my gear and I have 1500 mana AFTER reservation from a high level Clarity and Herald of Ash. So my mana regen is actually around 250.

3. That gives me 1500+ ES which you are right, is worthless against trash where you get hit a bunch, but it is wonderful against bosses where the big hits only comes once in a while and you have a few seconds in between to get back to full. With Mana and ES combined, I have an effective health pool of 9k without counting block or armor. And again, this is with not great gear. I could push those numbers way higher.

4. The DPS part is what I dont understand. I've snagged every damage option available. So I have no idea how you are doing twice what I am. But I will definitely be checking your Path of Building to see if there are any tweaks I can make in that regard.

5. Oh and Illuminated Devotion is what I get last for my Orb of Storms in Gloves. Just a quality of life thing. Could just as easily pick up the other minor node for Placement speed and mana regen.

I'm diggin the build a lot and you wrote a great guide. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

1. the more burning dmg of Herald of Ash is only related to the gem itself and does not affect other burning related skills. I´ve tested that on the beta, the wording is shit.

2. nothing to say about that. Hierophant naturally works better with mom due to his mana/regen on the tree

3. i am just not a big fan of es without any bonus into recovery start or reecharge rate. It takes 7 second to get back to full health which is rarely possible (2sec to start, 20%es/sec recovery). It some cases it can help for sure, like against atziri where you dodge any skill but one hit can be absorbed better this way.

4. I've tweaked the values in path of building to adjust it with my configuarions (like enabling all curses on you, which is rarely the case but accounts every debuff). The main reason for the difference is the lack of jewels i think. Totemlife is huge.

Chieftain/berserker gain big more multiplier and scion has more skillpoints aviable

5. 2 minor nodes just seem better for sure :p Even power/endurance charge generation for faster EO proccs seems better

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 26, 2017, 1:27:57 AM
Update

I´ve posted a Disclaimer about Mind over Matter in the build in several related sections (mind over matter vs bm vs auras and skilltree section)

I couldn´t test it to a full extend in the endgame so far (i will). Its great for leveling but can suck later on.

If it feels really bad even with a manaflask go back to Bloodmagic or remove it and reserve the mana with Blasphemy, arctic armour or Auras instead!

Use it until maps, its great for that.
IN maps look how it performs and remove it if needed

Update

I´ve posted a Disclaimer about Mind over Matter in the build in several related sections (mind over matter vs bm vs auras and skilltree section)

I couldn´t test it to a full extend in the endgame so far (i will). Its great for leveling but can suck later on.

If it feels really bad even with a manaflask go back to Bloodmagic or remove it and reserve the mana with Blasphemy, arctic armour or Auras instead!

Use it until maps, its great for that.
IN maps look how it performs and remove it if needed.

Resulting from that i removed the 2nd skilltree option and moved it into the 2nd post on the mainpage. Its very reliant on how good MoM performs on the build

added this to the guide:

"

Here are the remaining debuffs of curses with 80% reduced curse effectiveness of Kikazaru:

Poachers Mark: 9.8% less evasion, life/mana gained on hit and frenzy on kill are meaningless

Projectile Weakness: 10% knockback from Projectiles, Projectiles deal 8.8% more damage

Temporal Chains: should have no effect with its 40% reduced effect on players. If it still has an effect its a 5.8% slow

Assassins Mark: 1,8% critchance, 4% critmulti

Conductivity: 8,8% lightning resistance, 2.8% chance to shock by lightning dmg

Elemental Weakness: 7,8% elemental resistances

Enfeeble: 5% reduced critchance, 6% less damage

Flammability: 8,8% Fire resistance, 2.8% chance to be ignited by fire dmg

Frostbite: 8,8% Cold resistance, 2.8% chance to be Frozen by cold dmg

Vulnerability: 5,8% more physical damage taken, 6,6% more dot damage taken

Punishment: we dont attack and don´t apply the "punisher" buff. Should have no effect.

Warlords mark: 6% reduced stun and block recovery, 0,4% leech and 2% chance to be stunned

Numbers are rounded UP in the game

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 26, 2017, 2:17:58 AM
Hey again Milky. I'm just wondering why you have not mentioned the item Doon Cuebiyari. It has comparable (quite easily better) stats as Daresso's Passion while not having the big dexterity requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again for your time.
"
LaserPanther wrote:
Hey again Milky. I'm just wondering why you have not mentioned the item Doon Cuebiyari. It has comparable (quite easily better) stats as Daresso's Passion while not having the big dexterity requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again for your time.

i remember having it in there hmmm, got lost. I add it again. Even used it before Doryanis in 2.6 (Doon can be quite expensive on hardcore early on)

edit: added it again

Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 26, 2017, 3:11:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info