2.6.0 Area of Effect Changes

"
Slicer9875 wrote:
"
Kenrian wrote:
Can GGG make an AOE calculator ?
Cause mechanics are really vague, and it should be really simple to do.

If i understand well firt nodes / sources of increased area are more effective and its decreased to be less effective in total.

And when i see your schemas, i imagine that support gem "Increased Area of effect" its less effective than before cause it's give a lot of AOE.

But a melee splash with a +8 increased AOE node will be more effective than before ?

it seem to look like this :

So i think it's pretty cool in general, cause you have a better cover with less
investment. That mean for me : no need to focus to much on AOE anymore.

Thank you: this is something I actually do understand. Idk about everyone else, but I would have preferred either a numerical comparison of radius or a direct formula to use for calculating radius. I was debating about trying cyclone but now, I don't think so.

I would prefer also a numerical comparison. Without that there is a lot of risks of miss-interpretation.
I think cyclone will not be nerf as aoe, there is no aoe node around marauder, duelist, ranger and shadow (ok you can cyclone with witch and templar ... but common its not usual :p ) and it's not really current ever (at least i think) to play cyclone with increase aoe.
So all ways for increase aoe will not be huge (unique and all) and that will be, if i understand well, a better aoe than now.
so cyclone slayer is a complete rip then? this doesnt look good to me idunno maybe im looking from a bad angle...
While these patch notes look terrifying, i'm going to reserve judgement until the leagues start and i can see the effect of these changes on an end-game character as well as on multiple skills.

I think the infographics are both inaccurate and misleading though because they simply don't make sense given the explanation of the desired outcomes of the changes, if they did then the following would be true:
With around 0-80% increased AoE, post 2.6 area would be larger.
With around 80-100% increased AoE, post 2.6 area would be roughly the same.
With around 100%+ increased AoE, post 2.6 area would be smaller.

But as i said, i'd need to see these changes in action for myself and as others have stated, even if these are hefty nerfs to AoE skills, for all we know other "archetypes" of skills are getting a similar treatment.
Seems very weird and bad? Guess I'll start the league with projectile build. Though still it will be less fun, because what is the point in getting a lot of currency if there is less builds to play?

I actually think after my league starter, I will make a cyclone character with conc effect, taking no aoe nodes. Seems like that's the way people who likes these types of changes want melee to be. Not realizing melee will suck in a game like this except for single target then.

Either it will have good clear speed and not look as melee, or it will be slow clear speed. Guess this might be changeable by making everything slow and making people stand and shoot at one mob multiple times per screen. Changing the definition of good clear speed. Then this true melee people seem to be wanting will be viable. But I don't know if many players will stay then that is used to going fast?

ARPGs is fun to a lot of people because you improve your character and make it feel powerful. If you suddenly go from killing 30 mobs to ½ in the same time then its the opposite of improvement.

EDIT:
A better solution than making everything tedious IMO:
"Force" melee to use two skill gems. Make the ones with horrible aoe do very good damage, and make the big aoe ones do worse damage. Similiar to bow and wand builds that run barrage for single target and something else for clearing.
Last edited by fesru on Feb 27, 2017, 8:33:59 AM
Why in the fuck would you nerf melee FURTHER?
There are only a few enjoyable ways to play this game. Stacking AoE for something ridiculous was on of them. You killed the fun GGG, yet again.
"
xX999Xx wrote:

You are not getting it. Check the Video comparsion from the Streamer who did the Flameblast video! After this patch your aoe will be smaller with all the tools you listet, than Flameblast with only 3 aoe nodes WITHOUT lvl 20 inc AoE gem! You cant even reach the size with dying sun. Thats 40% smaller (minimum). Holy shit people are either dumb or blind.

So what? It's still huge AoE. Cry me some more because you won't be able to kill whole screen with 1 AoE...
In Ascendancy changes you mentioned Slayer's Impact, but he also has inc AoE in Headsman node (15% inc AoE if killed recently)
The Impact's nodes were changed 5->10 and 10->20.
Is Headsman bonus going to be adjusted properly too?
it's definately a very good balance update, AoE went too far.
IGN TylordRampage
Rory, have you guys remembered to also modify the base AoE size of the Infernal Blow explosion? With %inc AoE nodes being nerfed, I believe that it also deserves some kind of base increase like the rest of the skills.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info