Power Siphon

"
cnre wrote:
Tried Power Siphon with Ranged Attack Totem and I am sorry to say it does not work.
Monsters killed by the totem does not grant power charges.
Am I doing something wrong?
These are the gems I have linked

Power Siphon
Greater Multiple Projectile
Power Charge on Critical
Ranged attack Totem

I just want to know if it was intended to not grant power charges or if it is a personal problem. Thank you.

Totems cant have power or frenzy charges, and dont give them to you. They benefit from your own charges, but you should gain charges yourself.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Don't you think Power Siphon is just a wee bit expensive?

A level 4 fireball costs 8 mana, and has an explosion
A level 3 firestorm costs 8 mana as is a large AoE.
A level 1 power siphon costs 15 mana and is single target..

I found myself having to chug potions to use it, both health and mana, as I would leave far more enemies alive due to the lack of AoE.

Sure, you can get a bit of extra crit, but is that honestly worth the massive cost? If you're just using it as a support skill you'd be better off speccing into some spell crit, if you're using it as your primary skill you better bring the best potions you have if you want any hope of being slightly viable.
Last edited by Frogmander on Dec 5, 2013, 6:28:21 PM
"
Frogmander wrote:
Don't you think Power Siphon is just a wee bit expensive?

A level 4 fireball costs 8 mana, and has an explosion
A level 3 firestorm costs 8 mana as is a large AoE.
A level 1 power siphon costs 15 mana and is single target..

I found myself having to chug potions to use it, both health and mana, as I would leave far more enemies alive due to the lack of AoE.

Sure, you can get a bit of extra crit, but is that honestly worth the massive cost? If you're just using it as a support skill you'd be better off speccing into some spell crit, if you're using it as your primary skill you better bring the best potions you have if you want any hope of being slightly viable.

As a single-target skill, it's worth mana spent. BTW, among all skills, usable with wands, Power Siphon is the cheapest. Frenzy costs even more mana (considering attack speed) and Elemental hit requires absolutely ridiculous amounts of mana.
Power siphon also has power charge generator build-in (saves one gem slot of PCoC), and with culling strike, its effective base damage is 137.5%. Not bad for ranged skill, is it? That's why mana cost is that high.
The main problem with wands, however, is that they lack ANY AOE SKILL. Players are forced to use LMP/GMP/chain/pierce to turn single-targeted wand skills into AoE, but that screws all damage over. AoE skills (Like Split Arrow or Lightning Arrow) ALWAYS are more efficient, than single-targeted ones, supported with LMP/GMP/Chais/Pierce.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Dec 6, 2013, 7:57:59 AM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
As a single-target skill, it's worth mana spent. BTW, among all skills, usable with wands, Power Siphon is the cheapest. Frenzy costs even more mana (considering attack speed) and Elemental hit requires absolutely ridiculous amounts of mana.
Power siphon also has power charge generator build-in (saves one gem slot of PCoC), and with culling strike, its effective base damage is 137.5%. Not bad for ranged skill, is it? That's why mana cost is that high.
The main problem with wands, however, is that they lack ANY AOE SKILL. Players are forced to use LMP/GMP/chain/pierce to turn single-targeted wand skills into AoE, but that screws all damage over. AoE skills (Like Split Arrow or Lightning Arrow) ALWAYS are more efficient, than single-targeted ones, supported with LMP/GMP/Chais/Pierce.

Regarding the mana cost, this is true.
I also agree on the dps dropping on PS if you use GMP/LMP/Chain/Pierce.

I must disagree on one point, though, with wanders absolutely NEEDING/forced to use LMP/GMP/Chain/Pierce to be an effective AoE skill.

As I am typing this, I am AFKing in Sarn Merc, Nemesis, playing with my level 80 Holy Fire Power Siphon Templar. Its a very unorthodox build and very vexatious to level with (used cleave because wanders scale ele dmg so well). I have 14k DPS on AoE Power Siphon with my full 7 power charges and a terrible wand that I paid 2c for that increases fire damage by 21%. My single target is 20k. How is this possible? with certain passives from my tree and 1 5-link (I paid 6c, I'm very stingy) scaling the damage accompanied by Wrath and Anger.

Here is my planned tree if anyone is interested.
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEBwSzBVsOSBGWEmkUTRVQFm8WvxccFy8ZhRo4GmwfAiQ8JKonqSlPKo0tHy9vMok2xTbYNuk8BT9zRtdJUUyzUDBVxlXWV-JabWHiYqxjQ2TnZk9nvW0ZcFJwu3DVcXl35XjOfll_xoCkgUmCHoKbgziFfYfbiBuLjI9GkFWXhZ2jnaqdrp_fogCio6cIp1ynhLI4wFHB889l0NDTG9ad2CTZE9rd2wLbC-Fz42rjhOQi7DjsVe0g7m_vfO-F8B_z6vrS_Ks=

The gem links? I thought you would never ask...

AoE:
Spoiler
Power Siphon (%7) ((lvl 5 - you shouldn't ever level power siphon past lvl 5, the cost is too high for most builds)) - Increased Critical Damage - Additional Accuracy (%20) - Weapon Elemental - Elemental Proliferation (%10)

Mana Cost:
Spoiler

46 Mother Fucking MANAAAAAAA!!!!!

Single Target:
Spoiler
Power Siphon - Weapon Elemental - Increased Critical Damage - Item Rarity

By far my favorite character I have ever made so far. Also, one of the strongest. To my knowledge, people don't usually get 20k or 14k dps on their ST OR AoE untill they can afford some pricey unique like a Bringer of Rain or something else.
^^^

this is old kripp build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyC8taYyFcE

ive been using it for months (lvl82) (and posted about it in the past few times)

it is very nice to see other people using the same stuff but it is nothing revolutionary :)

i dont know if youve played it or only theorycrafted few important points for followers to note before using it:

- at all cost avoid COLD dmg on gear/wand. if you crit with cold dmg corpse will shatter. shattered corpses do not proliferate burns
this is so important that because you omitted it i thought youve actually not played it

- this build works because of crit and crit multi. it is much more important than +%fire dmg as you need one BIG burn to spread. avg fire value does not matter much - so your +%fire dmg nodes are mostly wasted. ive done some calculations and +crit multi works better esp with..

- shock stacks. wand with lightning + lightning on gear guarantees creating shock stacks even on tough map bosses

- dex requirements are HUGE. sadly that part of the tree barely has any extra dex nodes

- aura nodes. take them all + inner force.

eldrich battery is completely unnecessary from my experience
Last edited by sidtherat on Jan 4, 2014, 4:13:54 PM
Is it even possible to make a decent PS build with no currency?
no, PS build is one of the most expensive build.
5~6 mirrors
"
sidtherat wrote:

You can use two 60% auras and you don't have mana problems without eldritch battery ?
Tree and items ? Just curious.

I wanna do a wander for some time now.Is this a good wand to start with ?

To crit or not to crit ?
Last edited by Slagmaur on Mar 13, 2014, 3:27:55 PM
"
Slagmaur wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

You can use two 60% auras and you don't have mana problems without eldritch battery ?
Tree and items ? Just curious.

I wanna do a wander for some time now.Is this a good wand to start with ?

this wand is 'ok' but.. i vendor stuff like this..:

there are 3 types of wanders, all use crit - so the higher the crit the better. 10+ is considered minimum

these types are:
- physical
- cocs -> high local crit + high spell bonuses. local dmg irrelevant
- elemental. high crit, ele dmg, FAST (tornado/imbued). elemental has the 'prolif' sub-type where you AVOID cold damage

my current wander build and gear. i use THREE 60% auras and no eldrih nor stupid bm gems

i use this build to farm with IIQ so the dmg is gimped slightly but it is capable of oneshoting rare and 2-3shoting map bosses. crit chance > 85% iirc

gear (i use RRGB alphas howl on another character)
Spoiler

build (lvl84). it has at least 4 points to re-spec once i get a way to fix my resist issue. currently i have to use passive points for that
Last edited by sidtherat on Mar 15, 2014, 4:54:49 PM
Yeah I read your post about your build (Kripp based) but I was thinking a pure Anger/Wrath
damage output and not proliferation.I have an Infernal Mantle and all the needed gems for your
build so I might give it a try.Do you have a video or someone's else video cause I want to
see how it works.

As for your passive points you can take that 20 dex nodes in the shadow crit nodes (to the left of Assassination) instead of the +10 dex node near Inner force and yeah resists are a problem
for me also :(
To crit or not to crit ?
Last edited by Slagmaur on Mar 16, 2014, 10:15:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info