Scorching Ray

Scorching Ray appears to calculate the position of the mouse pointer incorrectly. While the ray aligns with the mouse pointer on the up/down axis, it is less accurate on the left/right. This can result in missing a target entirely.

Link to a video: https://streamable.com/bhcdin

If the video doesn't work, or isn't satisfactory in some way, I can replicate. Note that it was made in lockstep, so there are some pauses due to latency. I play in predictive, and the misalignment is the same in that mode.

Another feedback, which others have said already, some type of visual indicator that the monster has been exposed would be helpful. I'm playing a hexblast ignite character, and, judging from the monster's health bar alone, it is difficult to distinguish between flammability's doom stacks and stacks from scorching ray.
Upon further playing this skill, it appears to have an auto-target ability. As such, it probably doesn't (shouldn't) matter that the ray is exactly where the mouse pointer is.

However, something seems off about this skill. While playing RF/Scorching ray, I would expect my damage to near double when I apply the ray to something, and go up even further when the target becomes exposed. However, this does not appear to happen. When I switch from scorching ray to flame wall, the damage that happens becomes much more inline with what I would expect.
I just started messing around with SR and I'm just curious is there any particular reason it doesnt interact with like half the crap that would be useful for it IE: you cant ignite with it even with the ascendancy or leech energy shield or get the burn pops from HoA. Are the devs just that lazy or do they want it to be super niche?
"
Sophtspoken wrote:
I just started messing around with SR and I'm just curious is there any particular reason it doesnt interact with like half the crap that would be useful for it IE: you cant ignite with it even with the ascendancy or leech energy shield or get the burn pops from HoA. Are the devs just that lazy or do they want it to be super niche?

It can't ignite because it does not hit enemies, it only applies a fire damage over time debuff. It also can't do HoA pops because, since it's damage over time, it stops doing damage exactly at 0. It can not overkill enemies because it is not a hit.
Last edited by Tevsu on May 26, 2022, 5:17:33 PM
On controller, some auto aim capability is really needed.
Look at Disintegrate for Diablo 3.
It's super hard to aim correct initially. Only 360 spinning feels good, but some QoL for lazy gaming is much needed!

The game doesn't provide any convenient additional mechanics set that could possibly make the skill pleasant to use.
I'm telling this as a person who's had total 3 different lvl99+ SR characters over last 5 years and still keeping alive one of them. At this point I've wasted about 7k (standard) exalts but the character still sucks in comparison to a character that using any other skill with similar investments.
The skill by itself is defective not so good.
Missing crit, penetration and flat damage scaling isn't compensated in any way, the skill still has the same damage progression scaling magnitude with gem level like every other gem in the game.
How can the 700 base damage skill be any good if at current game state a "normal skill" has about 1k flat base and 6% crit, do you really think that the 420% built-in bonus matching to x7 multiplier from crit, x1.5 multiplier from flat added damage, x4 from penetration, x3-x10 from overlapped AoE of a "typical" skill?

It feels like the developers are using the "damage per minute" value when judging the skill buff.

They've buffed the damage by "one extra gem level" so what? How can this change anything?

The skill needs 5 units unscalable size damaging area around character, the beam itself should be a bit wider.
The skill damage at lvl 30 should be at least tripled.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Aug 20, 2022, 2:25:27 AM
Hello

I have always liked Scorching Ray since the days back when it came out (even if back then it did not allow to leech contrarily to other spells that hit but that is going off topic)...
I played as Trickster long ago...trying to make clever combination with EE and EO... like everybody who ever played it probably...

All this is gone and I know lots of people criticize the skill (I don't want to start a debate...I am more in need of understanding the mechanic here).

So in Affliction League I tried to put a Build together using SR. I have been leveling using SR which has been quite smooth and I have now reached lvl 91 (I cannot play as much as I would like unfortunately so please don't use that to show that SR is not good or my build is mid or whatever... this may be true but is beyond the point) and I am now mapping as you can guess.

Since lvl 60 I bought myself a Balefire Sceptre and it has worked very fine (thanks to the lvl 25 SR) + it has freed me a 6 links so everything was fine and I did not really looked into the maths of the Balefire specific SR.

However yesterday I noticed this line:

Burning Debuff can have a maximum of 8 stages
Additional Debuff stages add -40% of Damage

On a "normal" SR it shows
Burning Debuff can have a maximum of 8 stages
Additional Debuff stages add 60% of Damage

I am completely at a loss ... what does it mean? The more I channel the less damage my Balefire SR does?

In my current build I invested a bit in cast speed in order to reach max stages and apply exposure as fast as possible (i.e less than one second).

Is someone here knowledgeable to explain how those stages work?

My understanding:

Regular SR: +60% per stage x 7 stages = 420 % additionnal damage so at max stage SR does 520% of original damage (Deals (13.4-780.7) Base Fire Damage per second)

Did I get at least that right?

Then Balefire SR with the same logic -40% per stage x 7 stages = -280% damage at max stage .... so -180% of original damage? How does that even work ?

I am probably missing something as it seems my SR does indeed damage (for sure it does not heal monsters).

Should I check this in Path of Building? Can it help?
Last edited by LeRidje on Jan 30, 2024, 3:26:33 AM
Last time the skill felt "good" as main self-cast ability was in Harbinger.

2427 days, that's quite a gap I'd say.

I can only wonder how great the buff is going to be when it'll arrive.

**inhales

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info