Scorching Ray

As for me, the skill damage is irrelevant, game has a bunch of ways to reach absurd amount of deeps with any skill. But that [..] 'wind up' 'pre-charge' delay is pure cancer. for God's sake remove it.

300ms of bs.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Nov 18, 2016, 9:36:39 AM
i imagine they put that animation to prevent abuse.
... to prevent "enjoyable gameplay" abuse.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Nov 21, 2016, 7:56:36 PM
Just did some quick testing of the skillgem before i start leveling a new Trickster for a dedicated build. Below are my first impressions:

• Skill looks awesome! [newline
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Trying scorching Ray in a totem build with Ancestral Bond and Ritual of Awakening Which I'd had setup from a flameblast totem build.

Did a little rejigging of my tree removing AOE nodes and replacing with burning damage nodes.

First impressions are: What was the point ?!?!?!

Multiple beams don't stack damage. WTF not? Every other spell skill stick on two totems targeting the same mob does twice a much damage .. this one .. nowt ./.. why, what is the rationale?

If that wasn't bad enough .. its targeting from totems is about as retarded as it gets. I accept that there's no controlling the beam .. but when it starts targeting sparks, wildlife or some other miscellaneous scenery rather than monsters it makes you wonder what sort of testing it went through given its been delayed two months already.

About as useful as a kick in the teeth.
"
jcottage wrote:
Trying scorching Ray in a totem build with Ancestral Bond and Ritual of Awakening Which I'd had setup from a flameblast totem build.

Did a little rejigging of my tree removing AOE nodes and replacing with burning damage nodes.

First impressions are: What was the point ?!?!?!

Multiple beams don't stack damage. WTF not? Every other spell skill stick on two totems targeting the same mob does twice a much damage .. this one .. nowt ./.. why, what is the rationale?

If that wasn't bad enough .. its targeting from totems is about as retarded as it gets. I accept that there's no controlling the beam .. but when it starts targeting sparks, wildlife or some other miscellaneous scenery rather than monsters it makes you wonder what sort of testing it went through given its been delayed two months already.

About as useful as a kick in the teeth.

they never tested with totems because there is no point sticking it on totem. Skill description clearly states max stack on target.
"
Chrom wrote:
Can we please get an explanation of how both Faster Casting and duration affect the debuff stages?
I've been trying to test with FC (0 and 35) and it seems like the time to build up stages is static.

This is my biggest complaint with the skill, it's hard to get an accurate picture of what exactly is going on. I've been playing with it exclusively since the patch came out yesterday and leveled a fresh character with it, I'm more or less enjoying the skill, but I have no idea what stage of damage a mob is at any given time. It makes it hard to me to know if I should be working more cast speed into my build or not.
"
kavinux wrote:

they never tested with totems because there is no point sticking it on totem. Skill description clearly states max stack on target.

Everything about the move suggested it had two purposes, spell totem and support for RF. If totems don't get their own instance of damage so they can ramp it up it just lost half of its purpose nobody is going to self cast this as a main skill :/

Edit: Tested this it indeed doesn't stack, even with 1 totem and yourself it doesn't stack :/ my friend was going to run a multi-totem build with this and he's gutted no idea why it'd work this way.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 18, 2016, 7:01:58 PM
DpS, clear speed, usability and stacking aside, there's a minor amount of beef I got with the feel of the skill. The beam locks on targets so it hops around when moving it over a bunch of enemies instead of rotating smoothly which feels pretty bad to me.

I assume this behavior is there so totems can use the skill because it isn't doing anything for us, but if that isn't the case I'd personally like to see it removed.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Nov 18, 2016, 8:37:53 PM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Edit: Tested this it indeed doesn't stack, even with 1 totem and yourself it doesn't stack :/ my friend was going to run a multi-totem build with this and he's gutted no idea why it'd work this way.

Because this is how literally every other Damage over Time effect works. GGG released the Gem description which clearly states the Burning Debuff (which is on the enemy) has a stack cap of 8.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info