[3.5] Say_Ten's Melee Shadow - Murder Everything Cheaply

"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
frenzul wrote:
Man, I've sucked at melee every time I tried it but I love this guide. You speak my language. I have too many questions but that is because I still don't get mechanics and I hate to trade with people, so I'll just consider to suffer.. but I do love the Shadow so I'm going to use your passives as a guide.

Thanks dude.

the mechanics take a long time to get used to and understand. i used to hate trading too. fortunately they made things a lot easier over the last 2-3 years. if you need help, feel free to reach out. and fucking kill everything.

Mechanic wise, I think I'm starting to get a grip on damage. I still don't understand crit chance, but power charges tend to get me close for whatever reason. This HC character attempt feels super solid damage wise. Even at level 40, things are starting to die off the screen and I'm still just fuckin around with different melee skills to see how they work.

However, holy fuck if I take damage my life spikes hard. It goes up immediately, but I need to get this shit sorted out asap. Luckily, I just got to A4 Dried Lake so I can farm the hell out of that for a bit and enjoy the power.

Normal and magic monster groups are getting one shot, abyss' are getting stomped, rare monsters and the boss of that map that drops the banner die in 2-3 seconds with Vaal Double Strike. Feels good, those spikes though. Not sure where I'm going wrong, and I'm pretty sure my resists are fine.

Anyway, sorry for thinking out loud. Don't want to make my yearly "haalp, no fuckin clue what im doin" thread and just get shit on again.
I would like to share an idea to improve this build even further if you have more currency to spend. I hope Say_Ten can provide feedback. :) I felt a little bit squishy sometimes so I tried different things.

I got the best result with Belly of the Beast (Armor) and Devoto's Devotion (Helm). Both provide excellent defensive stats and you will love the movement speed of Devoto's. I thought I would lose plenty of DPS, but in fact I gained DPS. Its true that Bringer of Rain has flat physical damage. Bringer of Rain has built in gem sockets, which is nice for the beginning of a league, but if you socket all the gems into the Belly of the Beast and have them at Level 20 / 21 and 20% Quality, you have more DPS actually and are WAY more tanky.

You also gain an additional 4 link. I tried: Cast when Damage Taken (Lvl 1) - Blade Vortex - Increased Critical Strike SUpport - Power Charge on Crit Support
As an Assasin you gain Power Charges passively (non crits) and with Assasin's Mark, so instead you could use Blind there as well to get back what you have lost from Bringer of Rain.

I hope this helps people who want to invest more into this build, it's amazing. Feel free to give feedback and Say_Ten: do you have any other recommendations for the 4 link in the helm?

Also

"
Say_Ten wrote:
curious to see how Xzandro does with damage once he has better weapons and gear. he's using a bloodseeker and having excellent results without vaal pact.

Working on it, but my upgrade described above was kinda costly. And the weapon are VERY expensive still.
Last edited by Xzandro on Dec 14, 2017, 11:50:29 PM
"
frenzul wrote:
"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
frenzul wrote:
Man, I've sucked at melee every time I tried it but I love this guide. You speak my language. I have too many questions but that is because I still don't get mechanics and I hate to trade with people, so I'll just consider to suffer.. but I do love the Shadow so I'm going to use your passives as a guide.

Thanks dude.

the mechanics take a long time to get used to and understand. i used to hate trading too. fortunately they made things a lot easier over the last 2-3 years. if you need help, feel free to reach out. and fucking kill everything.

Mechanic wise, I think I'm starting to get a grip on damage. I still don't understand crit chance, but power charges tend to get me close for whatever reason. This HC character attempt feels super solid damage wise. Even at level 40, things are starting to die off the screen and I'm still just fuckin around with different melee skills to see how they work.

However, holy fuck if I take damage my life spikes hard. It goes up immediately, but I need to get this shit sorted out asap. Luckily, I just got to A4 Dried Lake so I can farm the hell out of that for a bit and enjoy the power.

Normal and magic monster groups are getting one shot, abyss' are getting stomped, rare monsters and the boss of that map that drops the banner die in 2-3 seconds with Vaal Double Strike. Feels good, those spikes though. Not sure where I'm going wrong, and I'm pretty sure my resists are fine.

Anyway, sorry for thinking out loud. Don't want to make my yearly "haalp, no fuckin clue what im doin" thread and just get shit on again.

You gotta learn somehow. Mitigating those damage spikes is insanely difficult. I don't generally recommend this build for newer players trying to run HC but it is doable. AR doesn't help enough against the big hits, EVA is a little better, but you need to at least get rumi's for blocking bonuses and i like taste of hate for damage mitigation. if you check the FAQ, you can run a 6L armor and helm for more life and stats if you want...you'll just have less damage.
"
Xzandro wrote:
I would like to share an idea to improve this build even further if you have more currency to spend. I hope Say_Ten can provide feedback. :) I felt a little bit squishy sometimes so I tried different things.

I got the best result with Belly of the Beast (Armor) and Devoto's Devotion (Helm). Both provide excellent defensive stats and you will love the movement speed of Devoto's. I thought I would lose plenty of DPS, but in fact I gained DPS. Its true that Bringer of Rain has flat physical damage. Bringer of Rain has built in gem sockets, which is nice for the beginning of a league, but if you socket all the gems into the Belly of the Beast and have them at Level 20 / 21 and 20% Quality, you have more DPS actually and are WAY more tanky.

You also gain an additional 4 link. I tried: Cast when Damage Taken (Lvl 1) - Blade Vortex - Increased Critical Strike SUpport - Power Charge on Crit Support
As an Assasin you gain Power Charges passively (non crits) and with Assasin's Mark, so instead you could use Blind there as well to get back what you have lost from Bringer of Rain.

I hope this helps people who want to invest more into this build, it's amazing. Feel free to give feedback and Say_Ten: do you have any other recommendations for the 4 link in the helm?

Also

"
Say_Ten wrote:
curious to see how Xzandro does with damage once he has better weapons and gear. he's using a bloodseeker and having excellent results without vaal pact.

Working on it, but my upgrade described above was kinda costly. And the weapon are VERY expensive still.

Sounds good man. Yeah, I've been over this with a bunch of guys. You could also rock Abyssus and Lightning Coil. The build just becomes really expensive when you want any good 6L armor so I don't tout that a lot.

As for another 4L setup, depends on how much you want to micromanage shit, but I usually recommend Ancestral Warchief. You could also use Protector. Support with similar gems and you'll have buffs, aggro and a minion that's doing a lot of damage.
"
Say_Ten wrote:

As for another 4L setup, depends on how much you want to micromanage shit, but I usually recommend Ancestral Warchief. You could also use Protector. Support with similar gems and you'll have buffs, aggro and a minion that's doing a lot of damage.

I dont mind micromanaging things, but it cant be an active skill. Dual Strike, Ice Golem, Lightning Strike, Whirling Blades, Blood Rage, Herald of Ash, Hatred, Vaal Haste. And I dont think Totems will work well with Cast when Damage taken right? :/ Hmm...
First and foremost a big thank you for this build!

I'm currently level 51 and enjoying myself quite a lot. First time playing a crit build and boy oh boy is it better than everything else I played with Resolute Technique.

I like that you can't facetank everything (can you anything? :D ) and that you have to be active all the time. The Abyss monsters are always a very nice challenge. Generally I am much more involved in the game and it has awoken a new fire in me :D

However, one thing I am not fond of, and basically because of the visuals and fps impact - lightning strike.

So I was wondering OP could you give me any advice on switching from LS to Frost Blades? The visuals are nicer, less of a mess on screen, sounds better etc.
Right now I have FB linked with the same 3 gems as LS. Bit less damage but still strong.

Every other gem combination is set up as per your guidelines (without BoR and still working on a 6-link chest).

Thank you!
Last edited by NemoRSRB on Dec 16, 2017, 11:10:32 AM
Thoughts on Ahn's might with a pacifism jewel instead of using claws?
Playing through Abyss League, I'm kind of hitting a wall, but it's probably moreso due to my build. Normal monsters are easy, but rares can sometimes be a bit of a hassle and bosses I usually have to zerg rush and die (Doedre was the worst, lost ~50% XP at level 58 because I didn't know about valve turning and the balls one-shot me).

The Abyss monsters are also quite annoying.
Hi, I'm relatively new to this game. Will Trickster ascendancy works for this build? Thank you.
Hi, i know swords aren't optimal for this build, but if i did use two swords which one's would be the best ones?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info