[3.3] Gilded Cage's Comprehensive Guide to Maps

I just wanted to let you know that I deeply appreciate all the work you've put into this. Your guide is well formatted, easy to read, thorough and of great help.

Superb job, really. Keep up the great work, people out there value it :)
"
zankioh wrote:
I just wanted to let you know that I deeply appreciate all the work you've put into this. Your guide is well formatted, easy to read, thorough and of great help.

Superb job, really. Keep up the great work, people out there value it :)

What this guy said, bookmarked in my POE folder. Appreciate the time and effort you put into this post /salute

Hello, thank you very nice for a guide, but I have a question for which I couldn't find an answer.

what is the difference between maps with different levels ?

for examle:

Tier 5 Pier Map
Item Level 81

&

Tier 5 Pier Map
Item Level 72

Should we roll High Item level(81) map at lower Tier?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, thank you very nice for a guide, but I have a question for which I couldn't find an answer.

what is the difference between maps with different levels ?

for examle:

Tier 5 Pier Map
Item Level 81

&

Tier 5 Pier Map
Item Level 72

Should we roll High Item level(81) map at lower Tier?

Thanks in advance.

UPdate: Found this post at Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3q2pkh/question_dropitem_level_maps/

ilvl for maps currently has no practical value.
Tiers are tiers, and they are stupid.

Is it true?
#NeverGoing90
"Cartographer's Strongbox

If found outside of a map they will only drop tier 1 maps."

It´s possible to get T2 maps.

I found a white box in Act3 Merc and used Transmute/multiple Alterations/Regal/Vaal on it.

I got 8 ilvl 65 maps

1x T2 rare
3x T1 rare
4x T1 White

The suffix was "of Treasure" and the second prefix was "Contaminated" (don´t remember the first prefix)
Last edited by Firestorm on Feb 1, 2016, 1:30:01 PM
Hello, thanks for the guide.

I've got a question: is the mid-high tier mapping supposed to be unprofitable or it's just my "luck"? Usually I run chiseled tier 10+ maps (and gorge/canyon sometimes) with 80+ iiq or 70+ iiq and +pack size (for tier 12+ maps I try to roll 100+ iiq with +pack size) and I get almost no profit (some cheap currency or so and zero good rares and uniques). Moreover I need many chisels to run maps (vendor recipe isn't enough) and they cost some currency.

The only way to make some money for me is chaos\regal recipe and converting all gathered alts\cromatics\jeweller's into chaos, but that's VERY SLOW.

Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. Are tier 14\15 maps worth clearing or it's more profitable to sell them?
There's no mechanism that gives you less or worse drops in higher-tier maps. If you roll those maps with high iir/packsize you WILL in the long run get better and more drops than if you run maps without that. For deciding which tier of maps to run for your best chance at loot:

- high-level maps can give you valuable other high-level maps and ilvl 75+ items (obviously)
- low-level maps can be cleared faster

I would advice you to run the highest tier of maps which you can still clear fast. In terms of loot it can be worth less to crawl through a yellow tier 12 map than to burst through two blue tier 8 maps in the same time. For the highest tier of maps ilvl 83+ items are a consideration, though I don't know how well they can be sold. So I'd be interested in how difficult the maps you are running right now are for you and how fast you can do them.

It's normal to get half or even more of your currency from Chaos/Regal recipe, six-sockets and Alteration shards. But even on Standard I can sell at least one 5-10 chaos rare every day (and I don't play very much right now). I almost never get a unique or rare worth an Exalted or more but the other things can add up quickly as well.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I seem to be stuck at tier 3.
I rarely get tier 4 maps, and the few I got didn't yield any higher tier or same tier maps.
I even tried to alch an arena map..which just resulted in many low tier (1-2) maps.

I try to not run maps with IIQ<30. unless I spend too many alterations

I have 5-6 T1, 8+ T2 , 8+ T3, 2 T4, 1 T5 atm
what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by sanan22 on Feb 11, 2016, 3:49:03 PM
Being stuck at tier 3 is really uncommon. At this tier, you can pretty much run your maps blue without paying attention to IIQ or packsize and sitll progress easily. Unless it's a problem with your loot filter somehow not showing higher-level maps (check it to be sure) it's just a patch of bad luck.

Solution: either trade up maps (vendoring three tier 3 maps of the same type gives you one tier 4 map) or buy something like 10 higher-tier maps on poe.trade, you can get even tier 8 maps for a Chaos a piece so I imagine tier 4 or tier 6 to be really cheap in bulk. I would give you a bunch for free if I were on Talisman but sadly I'm not.

Also to progress run the highest-tier map you have that you can still clear at decent speed. So run those tier 4 and tier 5 maps you have and more will come.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Last edited by scrooge999 on Feb 11, 2016, 4:12:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info