Balance Changes in Content Update 2.1.0

I haven't had a chance to comment on the changes, but I wanted to give my feedback. Overall I really like the general idea: make more builds and more variety viable. Good stuff! Anyway, one by one:

1) End game spell damage buff: I really like this as I have always felt that grind from lvl 19 to lvl 20 was not particularly impactful, and I think this is a nice way to make end game spell and grinding a bit more rewarding (not all spells will get this, but most is most).
The reduction in area increase nodes is minor, and they actually give more damage as well as the 5% nodes being more 'relevant'. Overall probably a good thing.

2) Melee splash buff: I admit that I'd prefer that GGG favoured a 2 skill system where we would use one for AOE and one for single target (so that there'd be less button spamming and more thought). However, if they're not going this route then the next best thing is to make some skills much more viable, and this change was sorely needed. Also, note that for bosses etc this gem can be removed (ex: atziri) making it even more interesting for melee builds (and even SRS lol). Big +1 for the (hopefully) increased variety.

3) Leech buff: No brainer needed, I especially like the leech nodes near duelist giving attack leech and not just physical leech, this will give different non phys builds a MUCH needed boost if they choose to use these nodes. I wouldn't say they're anywhere near mandatory but they seem like a really interesting option.

4) Surgeon flask nerf: Very much needed, amazed it survived so long. I don't, however, think its the best solution: the builds that made this nerf necessary where the ones that hit multiple times fast, and they're barely going to be affected. The nerf should have been, imo, one that limited charge generation per second. This would be far more elegant.
Although I can understand some of the motives behind the whole legacy thing, I think it would have been preferable to not go legacy. Still, at least it gives standard players a bit of a buff and reward for their 'loyalty' to their characters (also, compared to the usual legacy stuff flasks are extremely cheap to get).

5) Mana changes: Can't see why not, blood magic was a bit too prevalent imo. If using mana with melee becomes popular then that's probably a sign of more variety, again a positive thing.

6) Point blank buff: More than needed, was totally **** before. I'd consider it now, but even the 50% less hurts like hell.

7) Bows buff: Not sure this was totally needed, I think 2.0 had less bow builds (except for PA) because it was the 'class' that had less novelty, but I might be wrong. Anyway, better leveling and a better gaming experience is a good thing in my books.

8) PA and SRS nerfs: Might seem strange to join both but my reasoning is as follows - this was a quite clever nerf as at first glance they may still be very similar to before, but there is one major difference which imo was where there was a big need for a nerf: both builds benefitted too greatly from +2/+3 items (for their cost) and by reducing their base damage this directly affects how good these items will be. I'm sure they'll still be BIS for the build, but they won't have such an overall impact.

9) Flame totem, Incinerate and Cyclone nerfs: Nothing less than the community asked for tbh. Flame totem will still be a nice way to level or add a support while levelling.
Incinerate nerf is an interesting choice (I was expecting them to make it not work with spell echo), and hopefully its still a viable skill. The new gem that adds more damage for zero drawback is going to be mandatory.
Cyclone is only a small nerf and I wouldn't be surprised if its still incredibly popular, the very mechanic of doing damage while moving is what makes it so good.

10) Magma Orb, Arc, Searing bond buffs: Huge +1, any mechanical changes to an underused skill is in my view by far the best way to buff a skill. The main reason for this is it refreshes the player's interest in using it and theory crafting.
Searing bond will be back for levelling purposes, but thats fine by me: pro players just want to level faster, while less experienced players won't prob use it anyway. Also, another option other than flame totem for leveling aid is great in my books. They really could go all in and reduce the early penalties on spell/ranged totem so that people could level more creatively.

Last edited by Drakkon1 on Dec 7, 2015, 12:02:15 PM
"This will not change flask mods spawned before the deployment of 2.1.0 - they will still work the old way."

Does it means that there will be legacy surgeon's flasks ? I hope it won't happen. Creating so many legacy items is a very bad idea.
You should change them like items with leech. No one should complain that you are improving the game.
Last edited by SevenKnives on Dec 7, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
Yeah buff to melee skills exept cleave that is usless since you nerfed it (as if it was OP...)
DHA
EA untouched. Win!

Damn.. for a moment I was scared that I had to spend my alterations..
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1462987
So I want to bring to light how devastating the nerf to inc AOE in the passive tree for the upcoming talisman patch is to cleave...

Before the nerf it was essential to a cleave build to pick up the AOE nodes in templar, and even with those cleave was behind other skills like reave in pack clearing ability. If you are not going to allow plus to weapon range to affect the aoe of cleave then at least give it a base aoe buff to go along with the nerfs in the passive tree AOE nodes.

Cleave is barely competitive as it is, give it an AOE radius buff at higher levels, since cleave is used to race alot and problem solved. Or even allow weapon range to affect it.

Many spells and skills that depend on inc AOE were buffed because of the talent tree changes, why was cleave left out?
Hi

Searing bond can have 2 with these upcoming changes... even 3 out if I ever took ancestral bond

Whats with the AOE changes?
ANNNDDD GGG WORKERS I IMPLORE YOU TO NOT HAVE STUPID LEGACY SURGEON FLASKS.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
[redacted]
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Dec 7, 2015, 2:01:33 PM
you ever thought on people not having access to their game clients in the time between your surgeons nerf announcement and the patch?

at least you make my decision easier if i ever play standard again ... eh, i'm pissed, my game play is already crippled because i sometimes miss beginnings of leagues too only to come back right in time for the first game corrections ... and now this!
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info