Viper Strike

Im just wondering if i get all the increased chaos damage and increased damage over time passives. if they will somewhat stack multiplicabli with the aplied chaos dot... i dont understand how they could not. any insights?
No multiplication, just additive. "Increased".
Anyway, anyone tried the new VS ? Any impressions ?
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
auraforlaura wrote:
Im just wondering if i get all the increased chaos damage and increased damage over time passives. if they will somewhat stack multiplicabli with the aplied chaos dot... i dont understand how they could not. any insights?

Base DoT damage = Base hit * 175%

Total DoT damage:
= Base DoT damage * (1 + all %additive mods that apply)
= Base DoT damage * (1 + %DoT + %chaos)
= Base hit * 175% * (1 + %DoT + %chaos)

If Vulnerability is running on the target, it's just another additive mod that applies.

Feel free to read the Puncture feedback thread for more detailed information since it's the same mechanics.
Passive take to increase dot damage or chaos damage - no need
Example:
Initial hit = 100 damage
Attack speed = 5
DPS = 100*5 = 500

Viper Strike (7sec)
Consider the damage starting at 8 seconds:
dot per second (over 7 sec) = 7sec*5*50%= 17.5
Dot DPS = initial hit * dot per second = 100*17.5 = 1750

Total dps over 7 sec = 500 (hit) + 1750 (dot) = 2250

increase 10% dot: 500+1750*1,1 = 2425

increase 10% damage: (100*1,1*5) + (100*1,1*17,5) = 550 + 1925 = 2475

P.S.
Attack speed increases the overall DPS, I think it's obvious.
For this DPS, the goal needs to attack without stopping - at least 7 seconds.
DPS Viper Strike overall 7 sec = 1.875*DPS Weapon
Last edited by nameforgame on Aug 22, 2014, 12:48:02 AM
Question about quality versions of this gem: The previous version of viper strike gained an increased duration upon gaining quality. However, the quality viper strike gems do not have an increased duration and only have the .5% attack speed. Did it really drop the increased duration on quality, or is it a tooltip problem?

I'm trying to make a viper strike build work but it's getting harder and harder to justify.
It has always been IAS per % quality.

Forced a friend to test skill out with a high level chars and different setups - +3 weapons, very fast (+2.00) low/average damage weapons, high damage weapons .
The conclusion is to forget about old VS as gameplay and mechanics are completely different now.

- You can't rely on debuff lategame, as at full stacks + vuln. damage is ridiculously low. Tested with +3 to buff degen only. Super fast weapons failed either, as there's no point to apply degen stacks fast, as latter are useless. It was tested on a specialized viper striker with all of the degen nodes present.

- Forget about degen/chaos nodes on tree. You'll gain better results by increasing phys damage overall- by nodes, or improving weapon.

This skill is now a way to provide chaos (no degen) damage. Degen helps but isn't something to rely on, just an add-on.
High phys setup with added chaos performs pretty well. When there are chaos res mobs, it's the phys damage that crushes them, making gameplay easier than before (at high levels, well equipped).

It appears current VS build looks like that : make a full phys (crit) build, like whatever 1H/DW melee hitter build. VS is weapon dependent now, get a good weapon. Snap VS gem on. Add chaos if you like (not necessary). Play the game.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
So to clarify . In no way does it like "double dip" to take the chaos nodes on the tree ? I just figured that somehow the aplied chaos dot would be a new "base damage" that would be increased. therefor makin it somewhat multiplicable compared to just gettin more regular increased % ?

U give me 2 different answers. According to ur calculations it does infact end up multiplying ur base dot with increases to dot damage... right? so its not all additive because its aplied after the base dot?
Last edited by auraforlaura on Aug 22, 2014, 5:43:47 AM
"
nameforgame wrote:
Passive take to increase dot damage or chaos damage - no need
Example:
Initial hit = 100 damage
Attack speed = 5
DPS = 100*5 = 500

Viper Strike (7sec)
Consider the damage starting at 8 seconds:
dot per second (over 7 sec) = 7sec*5*50%= 17.5
Dot DPS = initial hit * dot per second = 100*17.5 = 1750

Total dps over 7 sec = 500 (hit) + 1750 (dot) = 2250

increase 10% dot: 500+1750*1,1 = 2425

increase 10% damage: (100*1,1*5) + (100*1,1*17,5) = 550 + 1925 = 2475

P.S.
Attack speed increases the overall DPS, I think it's obvious.
For this DPS, the goal needs to attack without stopping - at least 7 seconds.
DPS Viper Strike overall 7 sec = 1.875*DPS Weapon

If u already have a 200% increased attackdamage to ur initial hit( like 200% increased pysical damage to swords), then by my calculations u would get more from 100% increased dot damage, than u would from another 100% regular attackdamage ? would u not??
"
torturo wrote:
It has always been IAS per % quality.

Forced a friend to test skill out with a high level chars and different setups - +3 weapons, very fast (+2.00) low/average damage weapons, high damage weapons .
The conclusion is to forget about old VS as gameplay and mechanics are completely different now.

- You can't rely on debuff lategame, as at full stacks + vuln. damage is ridiculously low. Tested with +3 to buff degen only. Super fast weapons failed either, as there's no point to apply degen stacks fast, as latter are useless. It was tested on a specialized viper striker with all of the degen nodes present.

- Forget about degen/chaos nodes on tree. You'll gain better results by increasing phys damage overall- by nodes, or improving weapon.

This skill is now a way to provide chaos (no degen) damage. Degen helps but isn't something to rely on, just an add-on.
High phys setup with added chaos performs pretty well. When there are chaos res mobs, it's the phys damage that crushes them, making gameplay easier than before (at high levels, well equipped).

It appears current VS build looks like that : make a full phys (crit) build, like whatever 1H/DW melee hitter build. VS is weapon dependent now, get a good weapon. Snap VS gem on. Add chaos if you like (not necessary). Play the game.

Quality viper strike skill gems used to also increase the duration of the dot alongside the attack speed %. Now it is just the attack speed %, making it one of the shittiest quality skill gems in existence now.
I am a bit disappointed in the direction taken by Viper Strike. Personally, I like that there are a few attacks that don't heavily rely on the DPS of the weapon for their damage. Primary examples of this are the Poison Arrow's cloud, Explosive Arrow, and Elemental Hit. Viper strike used to be a key example of this (and viper strike was an important component of original Tempest Shield build of the week for this very reason). Losing attacks which ignore main weapon DPS also hurts the endgame viability of low level unique weapons.

I really wish that, instead of changing viper strike, a new skill was added and that the old and new versions of viper strike could exist simultaneously. As is, the change to viper strike also drastically changes the place which viper strike occupies in builds. The loss of the old viper strike
Last edited by Britannicus on Aug 22, 2014, 2:42:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info