Split Arrow

About the first hit always missing, I've noticed this too, although it's not related to switching weapons, because I don't switch.

Just in normal play, if I've not attacked in some time, this first split shot will always miss (on all arrows). It's unpredictable, and I've yet to pin-point exactly when it happens. I think it may be related to turning around. I'll test more.
idk, split arrow is this far my main skill.

With faster projectiles, piercing and mana leach in it + fair amount of mana regen it has small impact on my mana pool.
Not to mention that its fast.
Yeah you can use stuff like lightning or poison + multi projectiles but you get heavy mp penalties.

Also split arrow doesn't convert physical damage but uses everything you got. elemental + physical.
i find it quite interesting to aoe 20 mobs and shock+burn them when i crit :D

Piercing is a must have for it. The rest are situational.
You can use added cold damage also.
Greater projectiles would work too, you get more arrows, covering larger area.

I haven't moved over to lightning + multi and such due to the heavy mana cost.

No nerfs needed - its build specific. But id prefer some kind of "angle" lock option. sometimes u just dont have time to regulate ur cursor position in dungeon where u kite loads of mobs. Since you move with cursor also.
As far as I've seen so far, over levels, it just adds more arrows.
Would it be feasible to start at "2 extra" and then just add percentages with levels?
That would make it more viable with MP, for a true arrow storm; DPS is probably still lower than, say, MP Expl. Arrow.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
The amount of coverage this skill has is extremely aggressive. It effectively covers about a quarter of the screen and doesn't particularly care about aim. A nice thing to use when trying to hit enemies off-screen.

I guess at its current strength it would choke the life out of other AoE skills, if not for the support gems that transform other skills into this skill.
The main benefit here, I think, is that you gain additional projectiles without need of a support gem. This frees up links for even more support dps. When I first started playing, I was gifted a damn good mid level bow and quiver by a ranger who claimed to have used this for excellent dps for this reason; having enough links available to run all of the desired supports (in this case, if I remember correctly, WED, Faster Attacks, Added Fire, Crit Strikes, and Crit Damage).

Curious if anybody has tried this with fork.. I think it could be quite fun :)
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Curious if anybody has tried this with fork.. I think it could be quite fun :)

Actually I have used this extensively with Fork, and yes it is fun. It would probably also be nasty with Chain but I haven't tried that combination yet, as Fork is just a lot more mana efficient given the number of projectiles Split Arrow uses given Split Arrow's already higher base mana cost and the relative modifiers between Fork and Chain.

With Fork, Split Arrow becomes a real crowd killer as Forked arrows can and often end up with a mob being hit a couple times by one volley and without the MP damage penalty you can get a lot of elemental damage on each arrow from your gear and passives. The 'shotgunning' occurs typically on mobs towards the back of the pack as often two arrows fork into it from mobs being hit at the front of the pack. But I'll admit I got insanely lucky and found a +15% quality Split Arrow rather early on with my bow using Shadow, but even without the quality boost the skill is rather useful, and will probably be trying to get a +20% quality Split Arrow in Open Beta/Live.

Also I've placed Split Arrow (with Fork) into a Ranged Attack Totem... and it is rather impressive against crowds of normal mobs despite the damage penalties to damage and attack speed from using it in a totem distracting and damaging them while I work on the crowd using other Arrow skills from a safe position. It becomes rather helpful for attacking groups around corners, especially since we can't put Poison Arrow or Rain of Arrows into the Ranged Attack Totem. I will also admit Split Arrow (with Fork) in a Ranged Attack Totem made my Bandit Fights rather easy by running around letting the totem clear the minions fast with Split Arrow while I focused on killing the Bandit lord and staying alive.

But I do agree that placing enhanced elemental damage support gems have a significant boost in the effectiveness of Split Arrow and if your not going to place it into a ranged totem, pile them on. I just wish it wasn't such a mana hog at lower levels. If I had a perfect 6L to use for Split Arrow I'd probably go Split Arrow + Fork + WED + Faster Attacks + Ranged Attack Totem + either Reduced Mana or Mana Leech (To make keeping the totem up easier on my mana reserves.)
I'm new to PoE got a 21 Ranger since yesterday, played D3 b4.

I went down the Crit/Dex road to have a solid basic build for the early levels.
At first levels i used Burning Arrow as it has the highest dps/per mana cost
for AoE I used Poison Arrow / Lightning Arrow depending the situation, Split Arrow
was unusable at the early levels.

However I found out something interesting, I got a Hybrid Flask that instantly applies
50% of amount and has a stat that says for every critical hit you gain 1 point of charge.

I use Split Arrow together with Fork and Multiple projectiles, since m critical chance
is very high I gain a lot of charges depending on how many enemies are in the area it can go
up to around 15ish with 1 shot, so I used my Razer Mouse and attached a macro to it whenever
I use SA it also presses 1 to drink the flask. Now my mana is permanently full when I
encounter large groups of enemy's making SA my best AoE option so far.
Last edited by Rizzit on Dec 15, 2012, 10:35:56 AM
A very creative use of mouse macros.
However, does that mean that every arrow counts as a critical, instead of just the attack?
That'd be mighty interesting.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Split Arrow and Chain are hugely synergistic; with pretty mediocre gear it's getting 1.2k per arrow with Chain. That's 6 arrows that hit 4 targets for 1.2k dps each. Clearing open outdoor maps is incredibly easy, and one shot in a crowded indoor room in, oh, say Pyramid, clears the whole place out. With Mana and Life Leech socketed it's trivial regenning enough to use it continuously and stay alive. I'm not really sure where the power is coming from; might just be a combo of a lot of my added ele damage and Chain being very strong right now.
Last edited by spaph on Jan 3, 2013, 10:31:19 PM
Died at lvl 31 to blue leapers with dmg aura.

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEILg6tFHUZjiU_KaUs6TWSSn1OyFb6Z6B0QYd2kAqbjaJAp9Sr0q_rtBrEosS4037V-NwV3Q3iy-2D7g70-PzF_sg=
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info