Shield Charge

The skill is a bit bugged in terms of the path. For instance, often I charge at a guy, but I can't get to him due to some obstacle, but he gets hit anyway.

I also wish the skill could get some enhancement (via support gem maybe) where it would do AoE on everything it goes through. Then it could be a fun shockwave kinda skill. :D

It should get some sort of a bonus based on the shield you use. Favor larger/heavier shields, me thinks.
This may have been discussed earlier, but how come I can't hit barrels, corpses, bone piles etc with Shield Charge?
"
Lo4f wrote:
Spoiler
"
skaterboy80 wrote:
Absolutely love the Shield Charge , you know why guys ? It never ever ever misses + crit gem = yougotknockedtheFoutson :D

In my experience using this skill 'from maximum distance' is very frustrating and what ends up happening:

-Charge target from max range hoping for big effects.
-Cause no damage to anything trampled, but instead laughable knockback.
-Miss the target monster and charge again but receive no bonus due to close proximity.
-Use a more effective skill.

The mobility and graphical effects are nice, but the lack of AoE burst at the destination of the charge is a dealbreaker. Click slightly off the target monster, or it moves a step and Shield Charge misses. Compared to Flicker Strike(damage, mobility), and Phase Run(mobility) this skill is lacking.

Main points that still haven't been addressed in this thread:
Spoiler
"
Phoenix9525 wrote:
Fun to use but it feels a little clumsy, often it will miss if the target moves even a few inches from the spot they were at when you initiated the attack.
"
The graphic for this skill makes me think it should have a small AoE effect-
I then got Flicker Strike and found that I had almost no reason to ever use it again.
"
Ricebowl wrote:
This skill is, for a lack of a better description, flat out worse than flicker strike in just about every way.
Can't tell you how many times I've used this but was a little off in my clicking and just ran next to them for no reason.
"
rainji wrote:
it needs a little AoE-damage, because sometimes it doesn't hit, even if i click on the monster.
"
ptt_frmr wrote:
- Sometimes the skill will simply miss for no reason
- There seems to be no real pathing to the enemy, so if there's even a tiny obstacle between you and your target, you'll get stuck on air and drain mana without doing anything.
"
SwineFu wrote:
I miss the charge about 30% of the time - basically if my target is moving at all I'll miss since it seems I run in straight line to where they were, not where they are.
Conclusion

Shield Charge needs a linear 'donut Shock Nova treatment'. It makes no sense to be able to Shield Charge a target in close proximity as you have no momentum built up. Determine a minimum distance dead zone where the skill doesn't work (think Lightning Warp minimum distance limitation but farther), concentrated cleave-shaped AoE radius at the end of the charge, trample damage in addition to the minor knockback on monsters in path of charge, and change the scaling bonuses to greatly reduced constant bonuses.

O|...........| -currently charge any distance and miss target
O....|x|x|x| -suggested minimum charge distance, three potential destinations
O\../ -suggested dead zone

That is a skill I would use.

I really like the charging Cleave idea. Would make it both situational and powerful. I like the idea of different shaped AoEs, which seems to be underrepresented in melee attacks, compared with spells.
This is probably my favorite skill. All it needs to be improved is if u hold down the shield charge skill button it should auto-target like flicker strike. But if u simply tap the skill briefly it should work as it currently works sending you to wherever you click.
I agree with prior posters that a slight speed increase wouldn't hurt.
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
I am encountering a bug with this skill.

I can spam it against a mob multiple times in a row and the mob health will not decrease on every hit. The most common scenario this occurs in is when I am using it against a large pack that has swarmed me and I am just holding down right click (which is bound to shield charge) on each mob and switching as each one dies.

The skill fires as if it will hit everytime, but the mob health decreases on the first hit, then nothing on the second hit, sometimes nothing on third hit, then a hit on the 4th cast. Sometimes, it will cast 5 times in a row and none will "hit" the mob. The behavior in this section seems to be random in terms of when a hit will deal damage, which causes a lot of wasted mana since the skill still fires, but no damage is dealt.

I can kill the mob using shield charge if the mob moves a bit, or if I move and retarget it with shield charge again.

I am not so certain this is lag, my connecction is very stable and I never peak above 80ms ping.

Thanks.

Last edited by fiftysixk on Mar 24, 2012, 4:13:04 PM
I am also having this bug. Shield bash is impossible to use in tight corridors as it just refuses to target. It has a very buggy target system atm. After locking target this skill now misses every few hits.
Just an idea for this skill:

Make everyone in path get hit by the skill, not just the last one :D

(with proper damage balancing ofc)
Last edited by KurzedMetal on Mar 31, 2012, 1:23:05 PM
I kinda agree, when a maurader gets the hankering for smashing some pansy spellcaster's head in, likely with his own head, getting in his way is going to result in you being tossed to the side, violently.

I'm bad with numbers, but perhaps the skill could do 1/4 the potential damage the end of the charge could do?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info