Rain of Arrows

Very fun skill to use, I love how it feels. Sadly so far I use it mostly in dungeons to hit casters/raged mobs just around the corner. Some caster stand just around a corner or a doorway and try to attack you. Of course they just hit the wall and I can still aim Rain of Arrows right next to them. Don't know if this is intended but works for my squishy ranger.
I've tried using this some (33 bow ranger) but I just don't ever see it doing much damage.

I'm probably considered squishy at the moment and as such, I usually end up kiting more often than not when things start running at me. Even with snare, its hard to use this ability much and I find that Lightning Arrow + Lesser Multiple Projectiles seems to get the job done much better.

I think the problem is that Rain is a bit tricky to get right (have to time it perfect pretty much) and the damage output isn't really worth the risk involved using the ability. It does have some gimmicky uses as others have mentioned (hitting things around the corner) but at this point in the game, I have a hard time using it ever and just find that Lightning Arrow + LMP is just much more effective.

I've even been using Fire Trap a bit and prefer it over Rain of Arrows as well. I can kite in a semi-small circle and keep NPCs inside the trap for sustained damage.

Maybe this ability would be much more beneficial in a group setting where the NPCs aren't coming at me, but rather on melee/tank types. I have not grouped at all yet so I cannot comment on its group setting use/viability.
Last edited by uebermann on Jun 27, 2012, 5:46:59 AM
Currently in Cruel Act 2 and I have just fallen in love with this skill. I have some nice life leach and the way I use this skill is by running around and aggroing mobs, letting them get the best possible surround on my poor ranger, and then proceed to rape everything around me.

I use increased projectile speed to make the arrows come down a lot faster. With my setup it feels really strong right now. I do around 450dmg with my main attack so similar damage with RoA. I do not see myself dying since my ranger leaches back so much life per cast.

Animation is dope.
IGN: ImmortalFang
I currently play a Point Blank Marauder build with Iron Reflexes, Point Blank, Iron Grip, and Blood Magic. I use Rain of Arrows as my primary skill and I just want to know if the damage is affected by Point Blank.

It seems like it is, but I read an old post that said the damage wasn't being calculated properly for Point Blank + Rain of Arrows. Can someone confirm that this is fixed?

If it isn't fixed then I'm wasting a lot of time leveling this gem up.

I have Rain of Arrows linked to Projectile Speed, Life Gain on Hit, and Added Fire Damage. I rape. And since I have Blood Magic I can spam this skill non stop.

Having Iron Reflexes and the Grace gem boosts my armor very high so I have high absorb and can take a beating while gathering the hoards of prey ;)
"
FlamingNova wrote:
It seems like it is, but I read an old post that said the damage wasn't being calculated properly for Point Blank + Rain of Arrows. Can someone confirm that this is fixed?

It has been fixed a while ago and it does work with point blank.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
Last edited by Targuil on Jul 12, 2012, 3:00:34 AM
Feedback based on 26 Ranger, only completed normal so far:

Loved this skill. Very well balanced imho, expensive, but capable of generating a lot of burst aoe DPS. Allows for interesting tactical combat (e.g. sniping totems), and takes some targeting to use effectively. Used this combined with an Added Cold Damage support gem for aoe freeze, which worked very well.
Not sure about high levels, but I got this skill at 16, and it seems pretty bad. Maybe if I had someone tanking for me, I could spam it, but as it stands mobs move towards me, and the lag in the spell's cast time means it never hits anything.
"
jurble wrote:
Not sure about high levels, but I got this skill at 16, and it seems pretty bad. Maybe if I had someone tanking for me, I could spam it, but as it stands mobs move towards me, and the lag in the spell's cast time means it never hits anything.

Increased Attack Speed and Increased Projectile Speed radically improve the lag time between firing the skill and the arrows landing to do damage, and I'd highly recommend either or both for anyone using the skill.

It's also a nice combo with Frost Wall.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
This skill is my pride and joy. I'm a level 53 witch and have used this since day one. Using a decoy totem and curse is devastating for long range AOE.

Throw in faster projecties, faster attacks, faster casting, piercing and increased area of effect and you'll have a blast.

I've actually been kicked out of groups because apparently the frequency of arrows is burning their graphics cards.
FFA loot = single player game.
Vaal boss fight = single player gane.
where do these clueless posts come from? faster casting and faster attacks cannot both be used at the same time, adding piece to a projectile so that what...it goes through the ground?

personally i think it needs a buff, doesnt scale as well as other gems imo and its lack of piece does limit damage a fair bit. animation is gorgeous though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info