Caustic Arrow

I made a short guide on my build and thought I would share it here since we were talking about it:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/319344
Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Apr 7, 2013, 4:55:01 PM
This skill "poison arrow" really needs a name change. Change the name to "Chaos Arrow".
Why?
Because:
1. There is no poison type damage in the game
2. The ability does chaos damage
3. Chaos Arrow just sounds cool.
4. Would not confuse people new to the game wondering why a chaos type damage ability is called poison something.
It might be called chaos damage, but what it really is is poison damage.
Just take a quick look through things that allow you to do it and the nememies that do it.
"An it harm none, do what you will"
"
Hi

I read through the posts, but something is still not clear to me.

Does the qual. effect of added chaos DMG (℅increased chaos DMG) aplly to the DOT or not?

cheers
Reviving a post from several posts back because support are being asked about it
No. "increased damage" bonuses cannot apply to damage-over-time/degen. Increased burning damage is a specific exception which can apply to burning damage, which is DoT, but cannot apply to actual hits of damage.

The quality bonus will increase any chaos damage dealt when that skill hits something, it cannot apply to DoT.
Poison Arrow's cloud damage doesn't scale too well at high levels currently, even though it does seem otherwise at first glance. I've tried leveling a character with it using a bow with +3 to bow gems, and enemies in Merciless Act 3 needed 2-3 full durations of the effect, because every second enemy is resistant to Chaos. Needless to say, killing speed was very very slow. Rare Chaos resistant mobs that regenerate life couldn't even be damaged without other means at all; the DoT damage was only enough to counteract their regeneration. Alternatively, there could be something external to the gem itself that could increase PA's DoT effect.
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
Last edited by moozooh on Apr 19, 2013, 6:47:06 AM
I enjoy Poison Arrow(+2/+3 gem level), although past level 40ish it seems to require vulnerability curse to be of much effect(which makes it work quite well). Versus chaos resist bandits, chaos resist snakes, and Golems its much worse, perhaps some curse that lowers chaos resists would help with that problem. Another large issue is totems are completely immune to the degeneration portion of poison arrow so you're left tossing bear traps or waiting for minions/someone else to kill the totem. Maybe chop off the entire physical scaling portion of the ability and put more damage into the degeneration part, but perhaps that could be too powerful.

I've used poison arrow from low levels<->84 so far, currently using it with the ^above bow, dual curses, traps, and just letting zombies/skeletons keep things distracted.
Just out of curiosity, I have been trying to work on a poison arrow build that focuses on the physical (and added chaos) damage part of the skill and basically ignoring the DoT (not like anything inproves it's damage anyway...), would you still use +2/+3 to bow skills under such circumstances? It feels like a weaker version of a LA character. Granted you could stack some elemental damage and shock stack with crits, but then it's pretty much the same old thing. It just doesn't seem to scale as well because of monster chaos resistance! Not to mention elemental damage nodes and support gems don't work either. Is there any other way to improve the impact portion of the skill?
If you want to maximise impact damage, go for Iron Grip and Point Blank, and aim for Physical and Projectile Damage increases with a high-Physical bow.
Also, get a ton of Mana Cost reduction; Poison Arrow becomes immensely expensive later on.
So does the ring Le Heup of All increase the poison arrow degeneration damage or not?

I've heard someone say it does and someone else say it doesn't, but I don't have one to test it myself.
does not

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info