Leap Slam

Played around with this a bit, and found out that using this with a Sabre (1.65 attacks/sec) was way slower than with a Ceremonial Axe (1 attack/sec). Reason? The sabre is one-handed, and one-handed weapons have a longer animation... If you ask me, that's pretty counter-intuitive. The big strong slow two-handers actually hit more often than the fast weak one-handers.

Simply having a way to increase the animation speed in the first place would be nice too. Leap Slam cares not for your attack or move speed, far as I can tell.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Played around with this a bit, and found out that using this with a Sabre (1.65 attacks/sec) was way slower than with a Ceremonial Axe (1 attack/sec). Reason? The sabre is one-handed, and one-handed weapons have a longer animation... If you ask me, that's pretty counter-intuitive. The big strong slow two-handers actually hit more often than the fast weak one-handers.

Simply having a way to increase the animation speed in the first place would be nice too. Leap Slam cares not for your attack or move speed, far as I can tell.

this doesn't sound right... just had a friend use leap slam with dw axes (1.35), and it was noticeably faster than leap slaming with a mace (1.1)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The sabre is one-handed, and one-handed weapons have a longer animation...
This part is definitely not true - I'm curious as to why you're seeing the effects you report, but I'm a bit busy with other stuff so won't be getting onto this for a little bit. In the meantime, if you could link the weapons in question here that might help.

Has anyone else noticed such a problem?
My marauder from a 1h to 2h build after the last patch reset, and I thought the Leap Slam anim had been shortened...
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The sabre is one-handed, and one-handed weapons have a longer animation...
This part is definitely not true - I'm curious as to why you're seeing the effects you report, but I'm a bit busy with other stuff so won't be getting onto this for a little bit. In the meantime, if you could link the weapons in question here that might help.

Know this beforehand: I am a little stupid.

I initially made a video with three weapon setups: Sabre + Shield, Sabre + Redbeak, Timber Axe. The Timber Axe and dual-wield setup were faster than the Sabre. Strangely, the Sabre is the fastest weapon of the bunch.

I expanded the setup to the following weapons (no offhand items were used):
-Redbeak - 1.43 atk/s, 10% IAS
-Sabre - 1.65 atk/s, 0% IAS
-Decorative Axe - 1.10 atk/s, 0% IAS
-Ochre Scepter - 1.36 atk/s, 13% IAS
-Timber Axe - 1.20 atk/s, 0% IAS

Redbeak, the Timber axe and the Ochre Scepter were all faster, with the Ochre scepter maaayybe a little faster still? Hard to tell. The Sabre and Decorative axe were equally slow.
I didn't think to look for IAS in my passive tree until then. 10% IAS for two-hand weapons only right there. *facepalm*
Apparently Leap Slam benefits from IAS!

It is confusing that the weapon's base speed is ignored entirely, but Leap Slam does benefit from %IAS. Maybe that's something to look into, to prevent people like me saying stupid things?
You should have known about this Mark. Didn't I talk to you about this various times?

Sweep, Leap slam, Ground slam, and probably whirling blades (I'm guessing logically) all have base attack times — this means that the skills don't use base weapon speeds, they are only affected by IAS.
(this makes fast varieties of x weapon type or fast weapon types worse for those skills, obviously)
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
0.95 Speed maces/staffs suddenly look hell of a dps machines.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
Last edited by Targuil on Jul 31, 2012, 7:26:26 AM
After multiple uses of this skill, the animation speed is absolutely too slow. That skill is useless as it is right now. The intent of such "leap" skills is to jump in the crowd asap and then slash mobs, which is not possible atm.
It is very much possible; you do need to stack IAS though. My most recent character, a Duelist, is using this as his main skill. Utterly wiping the floor at the moment with this. But yeah, it's fairly pointless if you don't have chunks of IAS to back it up...
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It is very much possible; you do need to stack IAS though. My most recent character, a Duelist, is using this as his main skill. Utterly wiping the floor at the moment
I don't know what you're referring to when you say "it is possible", but regardless of what's possible, the skill is ALWAYS one of the worst skills for DPS.

This is due to the combination of low damage and slow attack speed. No matter what you do to buff it, it will be more effective to buff other skills instead.

The only use this skill has right now is for transportation.

I'm actually quite disappointed that they've left some skills like this completely untouched for so long.

I don't think it needs to be a DPS skill, but it should do enough damage to make use of occasionally, and have a cooldown. That way it can be a good damage skill without being just another AoE ability people spam for DPS. Making the skill more unique useful by giving more knockback or a guaranteed stun would also help.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info