Ice Spear

No need to test that if you're a huge nerd. :P

When a Projectile hits a target, it does three checks, in the following order:
-Pierce
-Fork
-Chain

If one of these checks passes, the following checks are skipped. The first form on Ice Spear has a 100% Chance to Pierce, so it can never Fork or Chain.

As for the Crits: normal behaviour. When a skill is cast, it does one Crit Roll, and every Hit is checked against that same Crit Roll. It is possible for the second form to Crit and the first form to be a regular hit because they have different Crit Chances.
(example with numbers, in case it's not clear yet :) )
Call me nerd but for me it's better to ask than to be wrong.

So if I use just chain support gem with (no fork or pierce) with Ice Spear (IS) the sequence would be like this:

1. 1st form of IS -> pierce, possible with crit
2. 2nd stage form of IS -> more likely to crit (+600%)
3. Chain - 2nd stage form of IS -> dmg with crit if at 2. was crit.

In other words if I got almost every time crit on 2nd stage when I use chain these 'chained' projectiles will automatically crit (because they've already crit before chain).

Or after chain there is third roll on crit (first with 1st form, second with 2nd)? If the last sentence is correct - the chance for crit is identical as 2nd form because 2nd form chained, yes?

edit:
Why I'm asking? I'm thinking about changing cold penetration to chain. I've got about 80% chance to crit in second form and about +600% to dmg with crit, so if chained projectiles deals much dmg I think it would work nicely.
Last edited by kawrr on Aug 30, 2013, 6:25:36 AM
The Chained Projectiles are still part of the same Skill activation: they use the same Crit roll.
The forms and potential additional Projectiles are no different either. One Crit roll.

(that nerd comment was referring to myself btw: I don't need to go ingame to test what I wrote, because I already know I am correct :) )
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 30, 2013, 6:29:02 AM
anyone has tested with added light dmg and arcing blows?
"
DutchRudder wrote:
anyone has tested with added light dmg and arcing blows?

Arcing Blows doesn't apply, as Ice Spear is a spell. Do you mean Static Blows?

Added Lightning damage is a good idea though, as on an Ice Spear build you'll be getting big crits all the time, so it has a lot of potential to shock enemies. You don't even need Static Blows, as critical hits always cause status ailments (provided they do enough damage to get over the minimum threshold).
Last edited by Incompetent on Oct 29, 2013, 9:14:19 PM
Hello.

I am a cold crit witch with nearly 90% chance to crit with Ice Spear in second form.
Must choose 2 curses to use, can you help me with choice?

option 1: Critical Weakness (to get crit chance to cap and do increased crit damage) + Elemental Weakness (to do more damage).
option 2: Elemental Weakness (to do more damage) + Frostbite (to lower resistances even more).
Hateful post.
"
Kaskar wrote:
Hello.

I am a cold crit witch with nearly 90% chance to crit with Ice Spear in second form.
Must choose 2 curses to use, can you help me with choice?

option 1: Critical Weakness (to get crit chance to cap and do increased crit damage) + Elemental Weakness (to do more damage).
option 2: Elemental Weakness (to do more damage) + Frostbite (to lower resistances even more).

This depends on the enemy's resistances.
If enemy has low resist, option 1 is the best.
If enemy has 90-140 resist, option 2 is best.
If enemy has over 140 resist, the is option 3 (critical weakness + projectile weakness).

Usually, enemies dont have 90+ resists, but sometimes (elemental resistance mod/aura, EE map, cold resistance map) that may happen.
Another good idea is to use cold penetration gem. With it, you can just dont care about resists and even use critical+projectile weaknesses always.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I think I'm on to something

Edit: It's also not a glass cannon. I have/will have EB IR MoM and 250% life. I will share the build around the end of the league.
Last edited by Nangingg on Jan 25, 2014, 8:21:43 PM
That blurring. I'm definitely never going to guess your single green and four blue Supports.

FC, GMP, Crit Damage are the obvious ones; they're right there in the screenshot. Accounts for two blue, one green, and all the Increased Cast Speed.

Power Charge on Crit shows up below 5 Proj, and it's a pretty obvious choice for a Crit-based skill. +1 blue.

Added Lightning/Chaos Damage are a possibility; recently buffed and there's no Cold Pen. Shock's good and ACD adds a large amount of Damage. My money's on Chaos.

168 Mana Cost. Level 20 Ice Spear (Chill Duration) -> 35 base Mana Cost.
FC * GMP * Crit Damage * PCoC = 1.2 * 2 * 1.3 * 1.1
ACD is *1.5, and ALD is *1.4

ACD: 35 * 1.2 * 2 * 1.3 * 1.1 * 1.5 = 181 Mana Cost
ALD: 35 * 1.2 * 2 * 1.3 * 1.1 * 1.4 = 168 Mana Cost

Rats, I just lost to myself! It was Added Lightning Damage after all (or 7% Reduced Cost :P ).

0.46 Cast Time, with a 0.85s Base and 59% ICS from FC/GMP. There's another... *math*... 26% or so ICS from passives and gear in there. 9% from the Scion start (EB/MoM + loads of Life? 100% Scion), maybe Nimbleness. Who knows.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 26, 2014, 10:07:52 AM
ETA on Vaal Ice Spear = D2 Frozen Orb?
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Mar 5, 2014, 5:43:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info