Firestorm

I link it with Cast when damage taken-Blind-increased duration on a 4L. Blinding meteors every 0.15 seconds for no mana cost.
"
Epicbo wrote:
So I've been playing on a dual totem firestorm templar the last few days, using Increased Duration and Faster Casting as supports on my 4L. I found it pretty good actually, the damage is nice etc. Anyway today I bought a Tabula Rasa which gives me a 6L. So I decided to try out different supports. I tried to add Concentrated Effect and Fire Penetration, however the mana cost went through the roof so I skipped the Fire Penetration and replaced it with Item Rarity instead. Unfortunately the only thing that followed was disappointment...

The problem is that I don't notice any damage bonus. Concentrated effect should give me 55% MORE damage. This is huge. Yet I can barely see a difference with and without Conc effect socketed. Maybe it's just me, but a 55% damage should be clearly noticeable. Is Conc effect somehow making less fireballs hit the target? Doesn't make sense to me. :/

20% effectivness means: you deal only 11% more damage with that gem.
additionally, totem has a 50% less damage... so lol
"
NagiSoi wrote:

That's not true at all. 20% effectiveness means gems that add flat damage only add 20% of the amount. It has no effect on percentage based increases.
IGN: Danick
"
koflem wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

That's not true at all. 20% effectiveness means gems that add flat damage only add 20% of the amount. It has no effect on percentage based increases.
he's talking about the concentrated effect and "net gain" from using it. .2 *.55 = .11
it is actually misleading to measure by this because it is missing the "full picture" version of the calc: .2 * 1.55 = .31
would've had to add the .11 into the .2 otherwise but why do more work? especially when it gets a bit out of hand when trying to do more modifiers such as the totem's less damage that was omitted.
the totem penalty is a 50% less damage so: .31 *.5 = .155
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Nov 9, 2013, 1:16:35 PM
"
iao wrote:

I'm also considering the use of Remote Mine if Arctic Breath and Frost Wall do their jobs well. Stacking 5 mines would do insane amounts of damage against large enemies. Come to think of it, Faster Casting is worthless with mines so I could just swap the gems whenever I need to use it.

Funnily enough, mine laying speed with spells supported by "Remote Mine" are affected by cast speed and not mine laying speed. Mine laying speed only affects actual mines like Freeze Mine and Smoke Mine, which in turn are not affected by cast speed (concluded from self-testing in game). Another thing about going with mines or traps is that "Clever Contraptions" is almost obligatory, or you will have some headache against monsters with frequent AoE attacks (eg. water elementals). Since you are investing so hard into mines anyway, Freeze Mine + Proliferation is a much better way of freezing large packs (100% freeze, no cooldown, based on much larger "fake" cold dmg).

And as a final reminder, "Volatile Mines" is useless in its current state.
Last edited by ugeowhopwr on Nov 10, 2013, 11:17:24 AM
Most of the aoe mine skills need to be reworked to actually choose targets (like Arc or Lightning Warp mines) in order to not be absolutely and completely worthless. Right now the vision/trigger radius of firestorm mines appears to be zero, so it just casts it on itself uselessly.

At least arc mines function.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Nov 11, 2013, 5:33:32 PM
why firestorm, that is supossed to be aoe skill, deals less aoe damage than firebal+elemental proliferation?

I think firestorm should be reworked to scale better with increase aoe passives/gem. I have 46% increase area of effect radios and it makes no difference because the number of fireballs is fixed. It makes no difference or even make it worse. It should be something like 1fireball falls per 0.x seconds per y units. The big problem here is increasing the aoe but the number of fireballs that falls remains the same.

I probably should have read this topic before investing 10passive points to get increase aoe x.x
I have been trying to use this skill for spreading as many burning effects as possible. My thought was, the damage on each effect might not be huge but they are applied both almost instantly to any foe on the screen and in quick succession so while the enemies may flee my aoe they will a) stop attacking me and b) still have plenty of burning effects in line (according to wiki they don't get overwritten, rather put in line so no damage is lost). My setup is:

firestorm + chance to ignite + increased burning damage + fast cast

+

I invested in almost all +area of effect keystones and spam flammability inbetween.

The result works well for mobs but my single target dps is very poor...
When I first started to plan my build, firestorm just seemed way more fun to use than the other firespells but there's a sneaking suspicion it is actually the weakest firespell since there is no real synergy.
I chose burn damage over direct hit damage since all +direct hit dmg gems get their effect cut in 1/5th due to lower damage effectiveness. Burning damage seemed to be the lesser waste of potential here although it would require high crits instead of rapid low hit effects.

Come to think of it, firestorm has a great potential at proccing effects although I haven't come across many in path of exile so far... there are maybe blind and elemental equilibrium?

To be honest, using an unskilled firestorm just to keep frost and lightning resistance permantly down seems a good idea but is far away from any firemage build.
Last edited by Escadin on Nov 25, 2013, 9:38:08 AM
There is hidden dmg multiplier inc duration and cast speed can have 7 firestorm spells on the same area at the same time, also i recommend avoiding inc area passives and make 2 skills, one with con effect for bosses and rares and other with inc area for area dps.

Can get upto 4.5k dps from gems only if you include gear and passives you should get 10k dps.
Last edited by kavinux on Nov 26, 2013, 4:58:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info