Firestorm

"
Bjarmfark wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
first, it is NOT DoT.

Perhaps not defined by the game as a DoT effect but it is unevitable a DoT since the definition is that you cast the spell and it will on its own do damage over a specific area over a given time (damage over time). So yes, it is and should be regarded as a DoT. I think that the effect over area is key for the definition.
sorry for nit picking, but in yes more global game terms, firestorm is dot. i personally made this asumption when i first played the game, but you cannot compare games when testing them. you may when searching for improvements but thats yet another story.

DoT (of this format) in nearly all games is fixed, 98% of games i have played/found don't use actual intervals of where the damage happens. if a damage is a DoT in some other game, it is finite intervals of every second on the second (and typically on the moment of cast completion too). the only game to come close is guildwars (and gw 2) with meteor storm 3 bolts, one each 3rd second plus a crowd control that keeps affected foes in the spot (or in gw2: 24 bolts of damage over roughly 3 seconds BUT number dependant on how long the cast time lasted).
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
DoT (of this format) in nearly all games is fixed, 98% of games i have played/found don't use actual intervals of where the damage happens. if a damage is a DoT in some other game, it is finite intervals of every second on the second (and typically on the moment of cast completion too). the only game to come close is guildwars (and gw 2) with meteor storm 3 bolts, one each 3rd second plus a crowd control that keeps affected foes in the spot (or in gw2: 24 bolts of damage over roughly 3 seconds BUT number dependant on how long the cast time lasted).

Maybe a bit off topic, but PoE's iteration of Firestorm is functionally exactly the same as Wizard spell Meteor Storm in Ragnarok Online.

So yes, Firestorm is "damage over time" in a sense of a word. But not DoT in game sense, and it does stack.
In the midst of the Burn build craze, I'd like to make a different kind of fire wizard using this spell.

I think stacking area of effect radius, skill duration, and cast speed with a full quality gem will allow to stack multiple instances of Firestorm in a single area. In my opinion that's probably the best way to make use of this spell.

My main concern is humanoid enemies running away when burnt (because I'm going with critical strikes), so I'll have an Arctic Breath totem and maybe Frost Walls going so I can keep enemies in place. Both of those also aided by increased skill duration.
Edit: Actually, Cold Snap + Elemental Proliferation would probably be best.

I'm also considering the use of Remote Mine if Arctic Breath and Frost Wall do their jobs well. Stacking 5 mines would do insane amounts of damage against large enemies. Come to think of it, Faster Casting is worthless with mines so I could just swap the gems whenever I need to use it.

Concentrated Effect will not be used because I'd like the fireball's individual blast radii to be as large as possible.

I'm also thinking about ways one could incorporate stun into the build. It would definitely make the job of keeping enemies in the same area a lot easier.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Jul 18, 2013, 11:05:25 PM
Increased Projectile Speed should affect the rate at which fireballs fall from the sky, similar to the quality bonus. You'd probably have to do it with diminishing returns or something, otherwise it'd probably pump the damage output too high. Or maybe reduce the base damage of the spell, but that'd make Increased Projectile Speed mods mandatory.
The skill duration nodes between the dualist and ranger effects Firestorm, right?
"
Chiliconkarma wrote:
The skill duration nodes between the dualist and ranger effects Firestorm, right?

Yes. Firestorm has the 'Duration' tag in the gem description, way at the top, and it's a Skill.
It is a nice skill but it is a shame that the duration is so short, making it hard to synergize it with Fireball or even Incinerate.
1.0 says mana reduction!
YES!!!
would be cool if anybody could find out how much when the game launches
So I've been playing on a dual totem firestorm templar the last few days, using Increased Duration and Faster Casting as supports on my 4L. I found it pretty good actually, the damage is nice etc. Anyway today I bought a Tabula Rasa which gives me a 6L. So I decided to try out different supports. I tried to add Concentrated Effect and Fire Penetration, however the mana cost went through the roof so I skipped the Fire Penetration and replaced it with Item Rarity instead. Unfortunately the only thing that followed was disappointment...

The problem is that I don't notice any damage bonus. Concentrated effect should give me 55% MORE damage. This is huge. Yet I can barely see a difference with and without Conc effect socketed. Maybe it's just me, but a 55% damage should be clearly noticeable. Is Conc effect somehow making less fireballs hit the target? Doesn't make sense to me. :/
The fireballs have a smaller impact radius, so it is technically possible you're hitting with fewer fireballs. You also have a smaller radius in which the fireballs land however.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info