Explosive Arrow

Em...I am now trying an explosive arrow build on templar who could get fire/ele damage nodes more easily than ranger.
Since ex arrow is not much linked to phys dam of a char, I try to use a unique bow named 'quill rain', which gives +100% ias(original 3+attack speed) and 91% projectile speed but -50% physical damage. [However the nodes arond ranger are mostly ias and physical damage related and I dont need them at all :(]
I am now thinking use fire trap(also benefit from fire/ele dam + flammability)/bear trap or poision arrow(not much depends on physi dps[30%] and no extra nodes needed for chaos dam)+concentrated area of effect to do some nuke for bosses since ex arrow is comparely weak facing individuals...its power stands more on mutiple explosions caused by foes staying together, I suppose.
I plan to use knockback to ensure some safety but everything's just started... I have no idea if this build will work, but I am willing to try.
IGN: MidNightess
"
PyrosEien wrote:
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
do you guys run double curse with EA? or is ele weakness enough?

I use Elemental Equilibrium. It means you can't use +fire dmg on your gear but other than that it's fine, if you have cold or lightning dmg on your gear it procs EE automatically before the explosion on the mobs you hit and you can use a 2L Lightning Arrow with LMP/Fork/Chain depending on what you prefer to debuff everything. Overall I find it less costly in terms of stats than going double curse even using one of the uniques, and it "casts" faster since LA is an attack so it uses quill rain's speed.

I do have 2 curses though, I just use them depending on the situation, flammability obviously and enfeeble for when I'm scared of dying.

i was thinking about an EE build but i came to the conclusion that it is very bad, and here is why.

when using lmp/gmp your explosions are going to be going off at slightly different times since mobs will be different distances apart. which means the mobs will be gaining 25% fire resist for the 2 or 4 other explosions in 99.9% of cases for aoe.
ign = ultrahiangle
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
i was thinking about an EE build but i came to the conclusion that it is very bad, and here is why.

when using lmp/gmp your explosions are going to be going off at slightly different times since mobs will be different distances apart. which means the mobs will be gaining 25% fire resist for the 2 or 4 other explosions in 99.9% of cases for aoe.

I don't use LMP/GMP.
I've always been unclear about something regarding explosive arrow: does the actual damage increase with more charges or is it just the same explosion damage with a bigger radius?
IGN: Iolar
"
BRavich wrote:
I've always been unclear about something regarding explosive arrow: does the actual damage increase with more charges or is it just the same explosion damage with a bigger radius?

yes, both
ign = ultrahiangle
Probably its only me, but sometimes my arrows jsut doesnt want to explode. Even if i wait 5-10 seconds. And they dont do any damage, so its not just a graphics bug.

How i use it:

Exlosive arrow-LMP-LoH-chance to ignite

Explosive arrow-LoH-Culling Strike

It happens with both. Does anyone had the same issue?
Can someone clearly explain Explosive Arrow's crit mechanic?

I was under the impression that if the first arrow crit, the actual explosion would crit, regardless of the subsequent fuses placed.

But I was also told the arrow's chance to crit was based on the bow it was firing from, and thus independent of the skill's 6% innate crit chance.

These two things don't seem to match.

That aside, I would like to confirm what does and does not increase the explosion's crit chance and/or modifier. Passives, I think the only things that work are the generic crit nodes (Heartseeker/Bloodthirst), as opposed to those for bows (Heartpierce/Deadly Draw). Item properties, I'm guessing that any global crit property works just fine, just not local ones.
"
Enreign wrote:
I was under the impression that if the first arrow crit, the actual explosion would crit, regardless of the subsequent fuses placed.

But I was also told the arrow's chance to crit was based on the bow it was firing from, and thus independent of the skill's 6% innate crit chance.

These two things don't seem to match.

Well, that's because they're not supposed to :P

The arrow and the explosion are separate damage and Crit rolls. The arrow naturally uses your weapon's Crit Chance, whereas the explosion is based on the skill's Crit Chance.

You are correct regarding Crit Chance/Damage increases.
EA has a certain base explosion radius that increase by +2 per additional charge on the enemy. Suppose I have five charges go off on a guy for an explosion radius of base+8. Will +aoe radius effects scale only the base portion of the radius, or the whole base+8?

ie, if I have +10% aoe radius from passives, will the modified radius on a 5-charge blast be (base*1.1)+8 or (base+8)*1.1?
if the radius says "+ to base" then happens before %AoE size mods, else after.
i want to be wrong but that is most likely the case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info