Dominating Blow

"
grepman wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The description explicitly mentions the enemy has to die after being Hit. If you miss, you don't Hit :P

this is what I thought as well, but someone on the forums said otherwise, they had zero accuracy and apparently the debuff was still applied, according to them

personally I have 58% chance to hit without RT and I definitely feel like I miss waay too much

Because you're missing about 1/2 the time...

You need to either get RT ASAP, as in respec for it, or invest in some serious amount of dex + accuracy nodes + accuracy on ring/wep/helm.

You're cutting your DPS in half like that O.o
IGN = Dellusions_Duelist
Last edited by Dellusions on Jul 14, 2013, 11:50:24 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
Does the dominating blow debuff apply even if you miss the attack ?
Turns out, yes! This bug will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Thanks for checking up on this thread, Mark. I hope you got a chance to look over some of the comments/feedback I provided on page 19 of this thread.

On an additional note, I think the quality bonus on Dominating Blow is a bit lackluster. At 20%, it provides a +6 second duration increase, which is small, to say the least. Perhaps extending the duration per unit quality just slightly would make the quality bonus more appealing? Thanks if you can give this a thought!
"
- the quality bonus on Dominating Blow -
lv 21 dom blow + full quality = 40 seconds, add lv 17 inc duration support of full quality, enjoy 80 second long minions. optionally, add the +45% skill duration node group to make 98 second long minions.
counter optionally, the minimum levels but max investing are (14 +6) *(1 + .7 + .45) = 43 seconds.
"
"
grepman wrote:
personally I have 58% chance to hit without RT and I definitely feel like I miss waay too much

The big question is why you don't have RT.
I did, I keep respeccing in and out of it.

and mark just said it was a bug :)
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
- the quality bonus on Dominating Blow -
lv 21 dom blow + full quality = 40 seconds, add lv 17 inc duration support of full quality, enjoy 80 second long minions. optionally, add the +45% skill duration node group to make 98 second long minions.
counter optionally, the minimum levels but max investing are (14 +6) *(1 + .7 + .45) = 43 seconds.

Ah I forgot that Dominating Blow has been primarily used in summoner builds or as secondary skills. I use DB as my main skill and thus support it with Melee Splash, Multistrike, and Blood Magic (along with Melee Physical Damage, Faster Attacks, and Blind from Bringer of Rain). Creating an army is a secondary bonus for me and that's why I don't use Increased Duration, so the quality bonus on DB appears unappealing.
Last edited by mimivirus on Jul 16, 2013, 9:12:52 PM
"
funny stuff :D
but... you're already doing a nice minion army. all those supports affect your minions created by dom blow, which means THEY wreck stuff up just as much (if not slightly more than) as you.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
funny stuff :D
but... you're already doing a nice minion army. all those supports affect your minions created by dom blow, which means THEY wreck stuff up just as much (if not slightly more than) as you.

I'm not sure where I said "funny stuff :D" but you quoted it, so I guess I'll take it.

Anyway, I don't need Increased Duration because ultimately I'm doing the most damage. I make an army of minions, but they really only serve as a meat shield for difficult situations. Certain mobs can definitely do a lot of damage when dominated, but having them for a longer period of time isn't really necessary when I can just dominate the next mob that comes my way. My build is tanky alone and I could switch out Dominating Blow for Infernal Blow anytime (in fact, I'm using IB right now because it makes me lag less) and have around 7-8k DPS. I still don't have Bringer of Rain, but once I get that my DPS should rocket up.

On an additional note, Increased Duration's mana cost multiplier is 150% and I currently already have Melee Physical Damage (140%), Melee Splash (160%), Life Leech (130%), and Blood Magic (205%). I think it costs around 260 health to use once, so adding Increased Duration (if I had a 6L) or replacing Life Leech with Increased Duration makes the cost harder to manage. The health cost will rise when I use Bringer of Rain and probably I'd use Melee Physical Damage, Faster Attacks, Blind, Melee Splash, Multistrike/Life Leech, and Blood Magic.

EDIT: I added my current gear below (as you can see, I'm using Infernal Blow in the 5L I found, but I used to use Dominating Blow and will probably return to using it later).

Last edited by mimivirus on Jul 17, 2013, 2:07:36 PM
i never was telling you to "hey go use this instead", i was complimenting your good thinking regardless of you realizing your choice for a different build focus, adding feedback. a lot of builds overlap, and if you can do two things at once, then all the better! this specific case, you ARE doing two things at once: a dps primary skill that has extra strong minions.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
i never was telling you to "hey go use this instead", i was complimenting your good thinking regardless of you realizing your choice for a different build focus, adding feedback. a lot of builds overlap, and if you can do two things at once, then all the better! this specific case, you ARE doing two things at once: a dps primary skill that has extra strong minions.

Oh, sorry I got the wrong message from what you said earlier. Thanks, and I appreciate the suggestions as well.

By the way, I'm level 71 in Hardcore and having an easy time in Catacombs (ever since I began trying it at level 68) with -60% chaos resistance and overcapped cold resistance. For anyone reading this and considering trying this out in HC/Onslaught, know that it does work! (for now)
anyone can clarify whether minion passives affects dominated minions?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info