Discharge

I'm making a discharge build thats crit based but the discharge base crit is pretty low and with 4power charges up it only goes up to 14.9crit chance with a 40%dagger. It is possible to get a high crit with this ? I have almost all the ele dmg nodes besides two 8's and a 5 node and my dmg doesnt seem good at all.

I also read this:
"Charge Bonuses: any bonuses granted from the charges that are being expended will be actively applied to that cast of Discharge. For example, expending 3 Power Charges and 3 Frenzy Charges will cause that cast of Discharge to have +150% increased chance to crit and the cast time will be decreased by 15%. Once Discharge is finished casting, charge bonuses will no longer apply." from the wiki but didnt know if it applied already on the char sheet which means my crit is at 14.9 with four power charges :/

Edit:I just read through a few more pages of posts and I think I got my answer.. and im really upset to see that that a skill that takes so much to get its max potential dmg is extremely low. It just seems worthless.. I spent so much time leveling this guy and preparing gear for nothing lol, I mean getting 4frenzy,3endurance,4power charges isn't that easy to do in a hard map and in return I would get 2.6k dmg for all that effort.. Just not worth it.. Especially with all the other builds out there just doing 3+k dmg easily and consistantly with okay gear. Not 2.6k every 10-15seconds like my discharge.
Last edited by Obstikal555 on Mar 30, 2013, 4:41:54 PM
First thing's first, I'm wondering if WED% nodes on the tree (i.e. Catalyse) will affect both spells (i.e. Discharge), and other attacks (Frenzy/Power Siphon), given my weapon of choice will have X-X elemental mods on it. If WED% nodes don't work for both, you can disregard all the stuff below LOL

Spoiler

I'm thinking of making a Utility Discharger for party purposes. With the Power Charge on Crit support gem coming out next week, I think this will work out alright.

I'm planning to use all the charges; starting as a Ranger and heading to Shadow/Witch/Templar territory and finally ending on the last Endurance Charge node at the marauder side.

Since WED% nodes affect Discharge, as well as elemental damage (X-X) on weapons (correct me if I'm wrong), my weapon of choice will be a wand with Spell Damage, Critical Chance, Critical Chance for Spells, and Elemental Mods (X-X). Frenzy and Power Siphon will be supported by GMP, Increase Critical Chance, Chance to gain a PC on Crit, and Elemental Proliferation. Because I am getting the Static Blows/Chance to Shock nodes, I can contribute with AoE shock stacks while charging up my Frenzy. In addition, I can choose when to switch over to Power Siphon for the culling effect and power charge gain on kill. With the Conduit keystone, I can share all these charges with my party if there is no lack of AoE DPS. Having dual Enduring Cry gems will help for tanking purposes.

This build will also revolve around a lot of the Uniques I've decided to gather for this build:

Spoiler

Missing: Rime Gaze Royal Circlet

Additional skills I will be using are Tempest Shield with Elemental Proliferation, Added Lightning and Molten Shell with Chance to Ignite, Increase AoE, and Increased Duration.

Discharge will be run on Rime Gaze (either this or Molten Shell) for the level 15 CE from the item, and supported by Increase AoE, Iron Will, and one other gem I'm still deciding on (Ele Prolif? Increase Crit?)

This seems like a good utility build, as it can be used for tanking (Aegis Aurora, Tempest Shield, Molten Shell, Rainbowstride, Endurance Charges), DPS support (shock stacking Frenzy/Power Siphon, Conduit), or AoE DPS (Discharge/Molten Shell, or even Frenzy/Power Siphon since WED% nodes affect both, I think?)

Might also consider grabbing a totem of some sort and Immmortal Call too.
@ELLE_mt

Dual Elemental Hit Totems w/ Tri-Curse, Traps, Frost Wall: http://tinyurl.com/bvdxbjz
Last edited by Versal on Mar 31, 2013, 4:33:17 PM
Attacks use your Weapon to determine damage output.
Spells don't give a rat's ass what you wield. Spells don't deal Weapon-damage.
-> WED does not apply to Spells.

Similarly, flat Elemental damage from gear and Anger/Wrath does not add to Spells.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 31, 2013, 5:30:27 PM
Oh, I just realized that there are two types of elemental nodes on the tree:
Elemental Damage
Weapon Elemental Damage

Would I be correct when I say that the Elemental Damage nodes (Shadow/Templar starting area) will affect both spells and other attacks then?

and also, the Increase Critical Chance; is that attack specific?
@ELLE_mt

Dual Elemental Hit Totems w/ Tri-Curse, Traps, Frost Wall: http://tinyurl.com/bvdxbjz
Last edited by Versal on Mar 31, 2013, 8:39:20 PM
If a passive applies only to Attacks or Spells, it will specify as such.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
If a passive applies only to Attacks or Spells, it will specify as such.

Got it, thanks
@ELLE_mt

I'm sure this skill is bugged or something because every time the mob casts it it causes a huge lag spike to the point my screen literally stops for a second or two. If a group of them casts it at the same time I'm pretty much dead because my screen is literally frozen.
The game has to load the textures etc. for skills when they are first used in a given instance. Discharge and Summon Skeletons are both resource-heavy skills, and thus cause a noticable stutter when they are first used. It's something GGG is aware of.
"
bartholomewj wrote:
Discharge is pretty powerful as it is, but I wouldn't say no to a buff :D.

My templar is currently at lvl 51 and 1 shotting blues the same lvl as me and getting rares to ~half hp with only a 6 endurance charge discharge.

I've made a build based around endurance charge fire dmg and elemental equilibrium here..

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/270264

People just need to think outside the box.

thank you bartholomeww. this build is the most fun i've had in this game :D

Instead of the extra endure and golems blood I am going to try getting Arsonist + maybe the 2 power charges if the support gem is swanky.

discharge does feel awfully weak in groups. every other build can just faster casting and get over 4k dps easy but discharge is like... totally depends on so many variables to come together ... only does 4k dps in perfect situations with huge crowds.. every other situation it's weaker. I'm having too much fun to care.. but this thing really needs some help.
Last edited by waffenheimer on Apr 3, 2013, 9:51:43 PM
Yea it's not exactly the most efficient or effective build, but it's by far the most fun build i've had so far :D.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info