Cleave

Has there been any buffs/updates to cleave in the CB? Always wanted to use cleave but feels so lacklustre without investing so much to make it work compared to other skills.
"Damage dealt while dual wielding reduced to 60% for each weapon (from 65%). Base damage increased by 10%."

With two onehanders, it's been nerfed again.
With 1h+shield or 2h, it's been slightly buffed.

I don't know what you mean with "lackluster". Cleave always worked kinda nice as a dualwield attack, and was an ok...ish choice for 2h swords/axes.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
cleave just feels like reaves little brother to me. but instead of increasing the aoe and making it a clone, i'd rather see it get some other gimmick like bleed on hit or something.
Advantages over Reave:
1. Cleave is better for (true) dualwielding (1.2 multiplier instead of "nothing")
2. Cleave has a wider arc (180° to 135°)
3. Cleave has a higher starting range (20 vs 14-31)
4. Cleave deals more damage

Drawbacks:
1. There is that there's no "vaal reave" equivalent.
2. Once you have 4 (or even 8) stacks up, Reave AoE is much better.

I tested and levelled both on my current (sword) build, and in the end, I settled for Cleave, because I enjoy the reliable, stable range... and the damage.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 2, 2015, 10:40:08 AM
All the gameplay stuff aside:

Cleave looks awesome.
Cleave sounds awesome.
Cleave feels awesome.

Except it is neither of these things after the first 5 minutes. The reason being: You only swing from left to right. It needs some flavour, some seasoning.

So my suggestion is to make Cleave alternate between left-right, right-left, like D3.

Also neat: Make DW Cleave swing inwards-outwards.

Would instantly start a Cleaver with such an update.
"
5chneemensch wrote:
All the gameplay stuff aside:

Cleave looks awesome.
Cleave sounds awesome.
Cleave feels awesome.

Except it is neither of these things after the first 5 minutes. The reason being: You only swing from left to right. It needs some flavour, some seasoning.

So my suggestion is to make Cleave alternate between left-right, right-left, like D3.

Also neat: Make DW Cleave swing inwards-outwards.

Would instantly start a Cleaver with such an update.

This. I've never used cleave outside of 1-hour races because it's, well, boring.

Spicing up the movement (some of the above ideas are great, especially the dual-wield one) would help that a lot.
Wash your hands, Exile!
So I want to bring to light how devastating the nerf to inc AOE in the passive tree for the upcoming talisman patch is to cleave...

Before the nerf it was essential to a cleave build to pick up the AOE nodes in templar, and even with those cleave was behind other skills like reave in pack clearing ability. If you are not going to allow plus to weapon range to affect the aoe of cleave then at least give it a base aoe buff to go along with the nerfs in the passive tree AOE nodes.

Cleave is barely competitive as it is, give it an AOE radius buff at higher levels, since cleave is used to race alot and problem solved. Or even allow weapon range to affect it.

Many spells and skills that depend on inc AOE were buffed because of the talent tree changes, why was cleave left out?
...You're going to drop from a radius of 28 to 26, assuming you only took the Templar and Witch clusters for Increased Radius. You really think a loss of 7.1% total radius is going to make a notable difference? The loss is even smaller if you have a Carcass Jack.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
...You're going to drop from a radius of 28 to 26, assuming you only took the Templar and Witch clusters for Increased Radius. You really think a loss of 7.1% total radius is going to make a notable difference? The loss is even smaller if you have a Carcass Jack.

You simply do not have the points to grab every aoe radius node in the tree. RT builds definitely aren't going into witch area.

The templar tree AOE nodes have been nerfed by 5%. Only getting the templar nodes in current patch just barely made the aoe on cleave acceptable using multistrike. And why am I now forced to use a carcass jack if I want cleave to be competitive with the aoe of other skills?

I was fine with the inferior aoe on cleave, but now they made it even worse, it is a pure nerf to cleave, does anyone think cleave needs to be nerfed?

I have played with the inc aoe nodes using cleave and 5% radius is the difference between being able to hit an entire pack in a map without packsize, or not being able to.

Cleave AOE was already bad, they made it worse. Cleave didn't need a nerf, so that leads me to think they just forgot about it. It is a simple fix, just buff the base aoe at higher levels a bit.
i theorycrafted a tanky cleave build and it was working great so far but now that i hit the map grind......i feel like giving up my character...why?cleave aoe radius is just awfull....when there a pact of monster all close to each other its great but when they arent and they start to run everywhere, you lose so much time to chase them 1 by 1 and its just frustating. the clear speed is so bad because of that and when i see a reave build hiting the whole screen...i cry a bit in the inside...

why not use reave then?reave mechanic isnt working great with my build.armor based,using DW sword/axe, non crit with RT,so everything reave isnt for :(

plz do something about cleave aoe or add a mechanic that justify is crappy aoe. this old school skill is just useless with the current meta.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info