[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Schata wrote:

Any tips about my gear or opinion from other ppls using would be really appreciated :)

If you don't choose to go with the recommended spell block amulet as you haven't, you could be getting a lot more damage from a rare amulet slot there.

I would assume also that one of the example belts would be more damage than yours (meginords or the rare from uber setup). May be minor difference.

Save up for a taste of hate.

Also, clear speed is usually linked to size of aoe, so try increased aoe support instead of concentrated. That might feel better to you.

If you don't feel tanky, it's because your spell block is much lower than the guide examples due to your gear choices and budget (if budget you need rumi's, again, see guide example setups.)
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 23, 2019, 6:43:29 PM
Today's update: Reintroduced progression builds, now updated for 3.8.
Skipped this league because it looked terrible. Decided to see how deep in delve I could push some of my old standard characters. Started with this character as its the first PoE build I ever followed.

The change to spell block a few leagues ago really hit this build hard. It just requires to many uniques and skill tree travel to get the block/spell block where you want it. So I decided to go with one of the Lethal Pride keystone changes, Glancing Blow.

It doubles block and spell block, but you take half the damage. This allowed me to get the block near max without all the travel or sub-par uniques. The jewel also gives me attack leech and extra fortify effect on some of the other nodes as well.

Another problem is that the templar area of the tree lacks weapon damage nodes besides staves. I got around this by taking Spiritual Aid and Spiritual Command so I could use the minion nodes there to scale damage. Was only able to push this version to around depth 550-580, but did most other content fairly easily.

here's the pastbin https://pastebin.com/x0bruanK
character name: Aarizan

PoB still doesn't handle the Legion jewels correctly. The attack block is maxed and spell block is at 68.

I'll probably revisit this character again as im not sure Aegis is the best. Blood rage drains the ES fast, so it doesn't help much as a buffer. The surrender or a rare shield might be better.

Last edited by jackal917 on Oct 18, 2019, 10:08:41 AM
"
jackal917 wrote:
So I decided to go with one of the Lethal Pride keystone changes, Glancing Blow.

I'll probably revisit this character again as im not sure Aegis is the best. Blood rage drains the ES fast, so it doesn't help much as a buffer. The surrender or a rare shield might be better.

Interesting approach....

Many of the block nodes we take are actually amazing DPS nodes as well, you have to travel the tree quite a bit to do better.

I'm at 75/75 block and a million peak DPS with this build but I know I'm a bit high level.

Blood rage is not used with aegis. I get the odd frenzy charge from the node on the tree instead.

Thank you for the idea..... how hard is it to repeat what you did... common item?

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
jackal917 wrote:
So I decided to go with one of the Lethal Pride keystone changes, Glancing Blow.

Interesting approach....

Many of the block nodes we take are actually amazing DPS nodes as well, you have to travel the tree quite a bit to do better.

I'm at 75/75 block and a million peak DPS with this build but I know I'm a bit high level.

Blood rage is not used with aegis. I get the odd frenzy charge from the node on the tree instead.

Thank you for the idea..... how hard is it to repeat what you did... common item?

Any lethal Pride jewel that is commanded by "Kiloava" will turn keystones into glancing blows, so fairly common. Its hitting the attack leech or fortify effect on nodes you want to take that's trickier.

I'll probably stick with Aegis for now, it makes good use of the ES spell block nodes in the witch area and gives me 8k efective hp.

The block nodes are good dps nodes, but there's just to much travel to get to them. And the uniques you have to wear to get the spell block are to limiting.

Im around 1 million dps without flask and I could get more damage, but then the defense would slip. Since this was delve focused I can't lose any defense. Maybe i'll replace Pandemonius with this:

but then I lose the blind....
Have you tested tweaking the build to fit in cyclone instead? Cyclone + The Unshattered Will for Harbringer of focus buff, then take the defensive nodes that buff Fortify, and if possible find gear that buff fortify even higher.
And I think you really need Soul of Steel and Brinkmanship nodes if you build a defensive build.
Havent played this build in a while, since block was nerfed, i rather go for damage and other mitigations instead of using block atm.

But i miss block, using a shield and sword is the way to play melee in my world.
"
Hierokliff wrote:
Have you tested tweaking the build to fit in cyclone instead? Cyclone + The Unshattered Will for Harbringer of focus buff, then take the defensive nodes that buff Fortify, and if possible find gear that buff fortify even higher.
And I think you really need Soul of Steel and Brinkmanship nodes if you build a defensive build.
Havent played this build in a while, since block was nerfed, i rather go for damage and other mitigations instead of using block atm.

But i miss block, using a shield and sword is the way to play melee in my world.

I suppose the nice thing about PoE is there are choices, all of these things would come at a cost of other things, pros and cons.

I haven't gone back to try Cyclone again in a few years, didn't they nerfed the AOE size too much lately?

I tried to balance max block with damage output in the current build, while having decent life... not sure losing some of that for 5% melee damage reduction and 1% resists is worthwhile. Not to say it's a bad choice just have to reroute and lose some things.
cyclone is very good atm, been watching streamers delving in hardcore with defensive builds and its useally the skill they use. Every little % damage mitigation seems to be the goal. But its so far gladiators or juggs. The AoE in delve is big enough with cyclone.
"
Hierokliff wrote:
cyclone is very good atm, been watching streamers delving in hardcore with defensive builds and its useally the skill they use.

Did you notice what support gems are currently popular with the skill? Something like this?

Uberdan's build seems to be the goal

https://poe.ninja/challengehc/builds/char/PoEDan79/DanDelveTwoK?i=0&search=skill%3DCyclone

skills
Cyclone (21 / 20)
Infused Channelling (19 / 20)
Pulverise (21 / 20)
Fortify (21 / 20)
Melee Physical Damage (21 / 20)
Elemental Damage with Attacks (20 / 20)

Last edited by Hierokliff on Nov 30, 2019, 4:35:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info