[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:

I think aegis is decent choice, weather you notice it or not, might depend on the person. The main advantage is having 800 more effective life at least some of the time to mitigate one-shots slightly.
Granite of iron skin is huge with aegis, only real source of armour to make aegis work. 140es/block without, 340 with.
Drop added fire or faster attacks.

Thanks for the reply.

Most of my questions are still regarding your premium build example:

Sounds like Aegis relies on a Granite flask to be really useful and even then it is only slightly better for one-shots. For a "lazy" theme, would you say that Non-Aegis is generally better for full-time damage mitigation without relying on flasks?

For the lazy theme, why don't you build in or recommend Life Leech anywhere? Seems lazier than Life flasks.

re: BF AOE gem, I tried it and the quality-of-life was great. Why don't you use AOE?

With Inevitable Judgement (Ele pen), why curse with Elemental Weakness instead of something like Enfeeble?

Could you beef up the section about which order to Quality gems?

My movement speed is bad, like yours. Could we get away with using faster boots and still attain max spell block without Rainbowstride? Especially for Non-Aegis variant.

Is Tempest Shield really worth the gem slot? I wonder if we could do something better with that CWDT trigger than 3% block and tiny damage.

Is Ice Golem redundant with Romira's Banquet? Seems like Banquet should be enough Crit+Acc that we could use another golem.
Hey, I am playing Wildstrike myself(on the character Melee_so_gud_kappa, if you want to take a look) similar to yours, but with resolute technique as biggest difference. And so far I found that Wildstrike, dps wise, is basically better than all the other melee skills(apart from bladeflurry).
Have you tried it with your build? How do you feel about it?

Oh and another thing: Did you try out
?
Check out my Guaridan Support build! /view-thread/1656032
Last edited by NEINNEINNEIN on Dec 13, 2016, 11:40:03 AM
"
tainium wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

I think aegis is decent choice, weather you notice it or not, might depend on the person. The main advantage is having 800 more effective life at least some of the time to mitigate one-shots slightly.
Granite of iron skin is huge with aegis, only real source of armour to make aegis work. 140es/block without, 340 with.
Drop added fire or faster attacks.

Thanks for the reply.

Most of my questions are still regarding your premium build example:

Sounds like Aegis relies on a Granite flask to be really useful and even then it is only slightly better for one-shots. For a "lazy" theme, would you say that Non-Aegis is generally better for full-time damage mitigation without relying on flasks?

For the lazy theme, why don't you build in or recommend Life Leech anywhere? Seems lazier than Life flasks.

re: BF AOE gem, I tried it and the quality-of-life was great. Why don't you use AOE?

With Inevitable Judgement (Ele pen), why curse with Elemental Weakness instead of something like Enfeeble?

Could you beef up the section about which order to Quality gems?

My movement speed is bad, like yours. Could we get away with using faster boots and still attain max spell block without Rainbowstride? Especially for Non-Aegis variant.

Is Tempest Shield really worth the gem slot? I wonder if we could do something better with that CWDT trigger than 3% block and tiny damage.

Is Ice Golem redundant with Romira's Banquet? Seems like Banquet should be enough Crit+Acc that we could use another golem.

It's good to ask questions.

I wouldn't say that there is much difference between aegis and non-aegis, except that the peak damage is a bit more for aegis because you can use melee damage on full life and 20/20 MPD/FA. I would not get too worked up over armour, it's a minor defensce at best. Nothing endgame is a threat with small physical hits which is all armour works against at least at any attainable level.

I do suggest doryani's catalyst and the life leech and life on hit gems in the guide as options. Leech is also suggested as an option in the amulet and glove sections. And of course at least one red socket on Scaeva is probably inevitable so the budget build has some leech. If you can think of something else that's affordable, let me know. Personally, I don't use life leech because I hardly ever flask, aegis + life regen is enough for general mapping. I might flask rarely on the map boss but that's about it, and you'd need some fancy instant leech for that anyway to not have to flask and I don't think instant leech is affordable. Maybe I'm wrong, there's always new stuff in PoE.

I use increased AOE gem almost all the time, I posted phys to light in the gear example because it's good to show the best damage the build can do. Increased AOE has always been mentioned in the guide as an option in the blade flurry section and elsewhere. One thing I did in the past is leave the blue gem socket empty and say something like choose one and link all the blue gem options, I might go back to doing it that way for clarity's sake.

I have used enfeeble in the past and it's a good choice, mentioned prominently in the guide text. People have to actually read you know! I haven't reconsideered my personal curse choice in a while but I have used enfeeble in there often. Ele weakness helps still when not critting.

I don't think that order of quality matters much.

I move very fast because I use shield charge almost all the time. I think it would be expensive to max spell block with rainbows. They have resists too and some es for aegis. You could certainly choose 10% more move speed and life over the spell block if you want to. It would be more expensive.

3% block is valuable, CWDT is a very minor mechanic.

Use any golem you like, they are all mentioned in the guide text. Can't ever have enough crit+acc, at the time of testing, Ice was the best damage option.
"
NEINNEINNEIN wrote:
Hey, I am playing Wildstrike myself(on the character Melee_so_gud_kappa, if you want to take a look) similar to yours, but with resolute technique as biggest difference. And so far I found that Wildstrike, dps wise, is basically better than all the other melee skills(apart from bladeflurry).
Have you tried it with your build? How do you feel about it?

Oh and another thing: Did you try out
?

I did test wild strike several times, and while it is a good skill, the clear times are slower than earthquake, ice crash, due to linear travel of wild strike damage which are sort of like beams. You don't kill monsters behind very well and multistrike distributes damage all over the place between enemies rather than getting them all at once. Same problem with all of the older skills. Multistrike targeting is just really bad compared with other mechanics available now.

You can also see in my test data in the FAQ that wild strike is 9th in boss kill speed.

So wild strike does not excel at clearing nor single target either. It's just merely average at both. It looks cool and fast but the stopwatch does not lie.

I have seen that shield and it is good but not worth the price yet. Lioneye's = 1 alc, Aegis = 5 chaos, Surrender = 2 ex. Maybe when people get real.
If anyone could help me with these questions would be great.

1. I'm 43 atm, following the levelling tree, but I've skipped all the 1h nodes atm, as levelling with a 2H is just so much quicker using Sunder, at what level/amount of nodes would it be better to swap to a 1H?

2. Is there a good unique 1H around my level that will make levelling still quick, idm using a 2 H till like 60+ if it's quicker.

3. What's the best attack skill on a budget for this league on HC with a cheap budget, so I can get ready to Tabula it around that level.

Thanks for any help.
"

1. I'm 43 atm, following the levelling tree, but I've skipped all the 1h nodes atm, as levelling with a 2H is just so much quicker using Sunder, at what level/amount of nodes would it be better to swap to a 1H?

2. Is there a good unique 1H around my level that will make levelling still quick, idm using a 2 H till like 60+ if it's quicker.

3. What's the best attack skill on a budget for this league on HC with a cheap budget, so I can get ready to Tabula it around that level.

Thanks for any help.

If you can survive with a 2 hander, great, but you are more vulnerable without the shield. If you are experienced with the game, it may be OK before cruel malachai. In hardcore, usually safety is more important than speed. There are decent 1h for sale around your level. Check here: http://poe.trade/search/ikikiyekabasih

You want to switch to blade flurry as soon as you can to hit things from a distance, much better for hardcore to not get too close. Use increased area gem to get even further back. It's good on a budget too. If you buy something other than a sword claw or dagger for now, you might consider lightning strike and holding down the shift key to attack from range.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

Thanks for any help.

If you can survive with a 2 hander, great, but you are more vulnerable without the shield. If you are experienced with the game, it may be OK before cruel malachai. In hardcore, usually safety is more important than speed. There are decent 1h for sale around your level. Check here: http://poe.trade/search/ikikiyekabasih

You want to switch to blade flurry as soon as you can to hit things from a distance, much better for hardcore to not get too close. Use increased area gem to get even further back. It's good on a budget too. If you buy something other than a sword claw or dagger for now, you might consider lightning strike and holding down the shift key to attack from range.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've been to 89 on HC last league I played so I know most of the mechanics, I seem pretty tanky with a 2 H so I been sticking to that but I'll probs swap to 1H once I finish the level 50 tree and fill in all the 1H damage nodes, that unique 1H in your search looks cool.

Blade Flurry looks the best bet to start with going in to maps atm doesn't it too? Might get used to it once I finish the part of the tree I'm up to and get a Tabula to beef it up.

If using Blade Flurry in chest, would you still recommend all the other gems you have in your other gear, or would you alter the setup?

Edit: Oh and would you still go Inquisitor on HC? I haven't looked at the other trees but Inquisitor seems a bit weird compared to the other classes trees I've played.
Last edited by jeffhardyrulez on Dec 13, 2016, 7:09:35 PM
"
Blade Flurry looks the best bet to start with going in to maps atm doesn't it too? Might get used to it once I finish the part of the tree I'm up to and get a Tabula to beef it up.

If using Blade Flurry in chest, would you still recommend all the other gems you have in your other gear, or would you alter the setup?

Edit: Oh and would you still go Inquisitor on HC? I haven't looked at the other trees but Inquisitor seems a bit weird compared to the other classes trees I've played.

Yes, blade flurry is best as soon as you can.

I probably wouldn't alter the setup for hardcore. Phys to light might be slightly riskier for ele reflect but I usually use inc. aoe for clearing and just pop on phys to light for the boss, so it's not risky that way.

Inquisitor does have a tank benefit, slightly less elemental damage taken. Obviously this is mostly an offense ascendancy, which is good because we go tank everywhere else, you have to remember that the faster monsters die, the less chance they have to hurt you. There's a balance.
Hi Sovyn, using your guide for 1st time.

Here is my character, named TrumpTowerShield

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/whiteyfang/characters

And here is my passive tree
Passive skill tree build

The build has been good so far. Still using Scaeva as I cant afford a Bino or Doryani as of now. Im not dying much unless its a lag spike / Breach lag. But the issue is I am not dealing enough damage I feel.

Even with Hatred and HoAsh I barely get 5K avg dps on tooltip for my Blade Flurry.

Can you once check my passive tree and equipped items and suggest what I should change?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by whiteyfang on Dec 14, 2016, 8:05:03 AM
Hey Sovyn, any chance when you have a few minutes free if you could skim over my character and see if anything's wrong?

About to start maps soon, I'm replacing the Blood Magic gem linked to Blade Flurry with Phys to Lightning once I get 10 more skill points (got a bunch of optionals to do) and go to the the right side where the mana leech is like you have in the screen shot.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info