[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I just made it to level 80 so I'm here to give a quick update. Between L75 and L80, I managed to get to the last set of shield block nodes. I'm now at 68% shield block before tempest shield. Unfortunately, I do not detect any additional survivability with the additional 6% but it is probably because I haven't gotten Ondar's Guile yet and I keep running into chaos mobs. My passive tree is looking like that:

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtFCAUTRjbGS4aMho4GlUb-h0UIWAjTSXfJ-0oxTKJM5Y26D3iQDZAoEGMRHJHfkp9TDVPfVBHUWBT31RJVcZW-lcNV-JY21nzW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcqlzP3TtdPF35XrvfNmAVoTEhNmE74d2j0aQVZuDns2gtKIApBmnMKeEqZWsqqyvtPm307ndvqfAD8AaxLjPZdDQ0iHSTdSP1fjXy9lh3Q3nUuw47g7vDvAf8i_zvvrS-6r8xQ==

My current stats are:

HP: 3.65K
Armor: 6.8K
Evasion:: 0.5K (pathetic)
Resist: Max
Chaos Resist: -36%
DPS with Infernal Blow: 6.9K
Auras: Grace, Hatred, Anger. (will add haste soon)

I still find my survivability to be higher than most people I group with. It still amazes me about how easy this build is. I have started to use flammability curse as the maps got harder because I'm just not hitting hard enough to clear rooms. I think that this could be my first character that I'm going to try to get to L85 and possibly beyond. :)

I also have to say that I have a new found respect for those of you that play self-found only. Although trading is a pain, I was able to find upgrades to my equipment. That has helped out quite a bit.

One last note. I have 2 shields that might be of interest to folks doing this build. One is a Vaal Buckler with 38% block and about 500 evasion. The other is armor with 34% block and about 1000 armor. They are building block pieces and not end game. Since this isn't a sales thread I'm not going to post the items. Just PM me on the forums if u are interested in them and let me know you are a lazy pally build. You will get a good deal for them. :)
I forgot to mention that both shields are in Anarchy!
Last edited by Dwarg on Jul 15, 2013, 3:11:49 PM
I'm bored of my Templar and am thinking of taking advantage of the respec and starting a new build. He's around level 40 right now I believe, probably pretty undergeared. How's the leveling speed on this build?
"
curryflurry wrote:
I'm bored of my Templar and am thinking of taking advantage of the respec and starting a new build. He's around level 40 right now I believe, probably pretty undergeared. How's the leveling speed on this build?

If you take too much block/defensive its kinda slow leveling. I had a unique 2h lowlevel weapon so i did just go for the basic in this build on my 2nd templar. so far no block, no shield, focusing on hp-nodes and the nodes to reach all the good things. Did also take the 5 elementaldamage nodes from the start, think i can afford to respec those when i reach merciless level and when its time to start tanking.

...at level 34...
Allthough did just find a dagger that does more dps then my 2h axe. So need to find some kind of shield and start take advantage of not taking damage. and need to fill up those 7 nodes that i did skip for shield.

The good thing with not taking damage at these levels is that i can focus on quicksilver flasks and run faster.-)
"
Dwarg wrote:
I just made it to level 80 so I'm here to give a quick update. Between L75 and L80, I managed to get to the last set of shield block nodes. I'm now at 68% shield block before tempest shield. Unfortunately, I do not detect any additional survivability with the additional 6% but it is probably because I haven't gotten Ondar's Guile yet and I keep running into chaos mobs. My passive tree is looking like that:

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtFCAUTRjbGS4aMho4GlUb-h0UIWAjTSXfJ-0oxTKJM5Y26D3iQDZAoEGMRHJHfkp9TDVPfVBHUWBT31RJVcZW-lcNV-JY21nzW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcqlzP3TtdPF35XrvfNmAVoTEhNmE74d2j0aQVZuDns2gtKIApBmnMKeEqZWsqqyvtPm307ndvqfAD8AaxLjPZdDQ0iHSTdSP1fjXy9lh3Q3nUuw47g7vDvAf8i_zvvrS-6r8xQ==

My current stats are:

HP: 3.65K
Armor: 6.8K
Evasion:: 0.5K (pathetic)
Resist: Max
Chaos Resist: -36%
DPS with Infernal Blow: 6.9K
Auras: Grace, Hatred, Anger. (will add haste soon)

I still find my survivability to be higher than most people I group with. It still amazes me about how easy this build is. I have started to use flammability curse as the maps got harder because I'm just not hitting hard enough to clear rooms. I think that this could be my first character that I'm going to try to get to L85 and possibly beyond. :)

I also have to say that I have a new found respect for those of you that play self-found only. Although trading is a pain, I was able to find upgrades to my equipment. That has helped out quite a bit.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you are enjoying enough to take it all the way.

In the progression builds in the guide, we are getting Ondar's around level 65. (Blood drinker too) Your variation has some additional armour and damage instead though, earlier on. Looking good. I personally believe in getting all of the major defensive perks lined up first, but this approach is certainly valid as well.

I think with leveled up reduced mana gems you could use determination aura as well, and then switch a couple of pieces of gear to raise your evasion and even things out. Grace and Anger can go on life. Evasion should not be discounted, especially with the upcoming patch. :)
"
curryflurry wrote:

40 is a good time to switch.

The leveling speed is fine as long as you keep upgrading your weapon, maybe every 5-10 levels until you get your end game axe.

You will also need to level up some good damage skill gems and get your hands on a 4-link to put them in.

I mention these things as some people might be used to the skill tree providing their damage.

This build is mostly reliant on your gear on the offensive end of things.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 14, 2013, 6:40:06 PM
"
Hierokliff wrote:
If you take too much block/defensive its kinda slow leveling. I had a unique 2h lowlevel weapon so i did just go for the basic in this build on my 2nd templar. so far no block, no shield, focusing on hp-nodes and the nodes to reach all the good things. Did also take the 5 elementaldamage nodes from the start, think i can afford to respec those when i reach merciless level and when its time to start tanking.

...at level 34...
Allthough did just find a dagger that does more dps then my 2h axe. So need to find some kind of shield and start take advantage of not taking damage. and need to fill up those 7 nodes that i did skip for shield.

The good thing with not taking damage at these levels is that i can focus on quicksilver flasks and run faster.-)

Rerolled already? I admire your courage to start again on HC. Kudos.

Definitely go max defensive as soon as possible.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 14, 2013, 6:43:05 PM
Ranger changes will be implemented tomorrow.
Probably those working us who has gone up to Ondar's Guile will get a full passive tree reset.

I can't wait to see the new passive tree and think on a new build for my ranger.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
Last edited by kahoraho on Jul 15, 2013, 4:53:40 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Hierokliff wrote:

...at level 34...

HC is fun, it gives that extra nerve to the game... Kinda disagre to go max defensive asap, because with hp-gear and some hp-nodes we dont need defensive until level-?. But 1-38 in a days playing off and on, its kinda fast leveling as tanky templar also. (Not as ele-dualcleave or bouncing-marauder, but i do survive as templar :-) I did start go more defensive now at level 37 and onward, mostly because with the new dagger i one-shot whites and dual-shot the rest with lightningstrike. So did remove a HP pot for a second quicksilverflask. So did take out one of the rusty shields i had in the stash from my former templar. I think ill retrain the 5 offensive nodes, when its time for vaal-cruel, or if i find a good phys damage weapon.

my build so far, with the 5 extra damage nodes for maybe faster leveling...did take the INT route early so i can train my INT-based gems while leveling...

"
Hierokliff wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Hierokliff wrote:

...at level 34...

HC is fun, it gives that extra nerve to the game... Kinda disagre to go max defensive asap, because with hp-gear and some hp-nodes we dont need defensive until level-?. But 1-38 in a days playing off and on, its kinda fast leveling as tanky templar also. (Not as ele-dualcleave or bouncing-marauder, but i do survive as templar :-) I did start go more defensive now at level 37 and onward, mostly because with the new dagger i one-shot whites and dual-shot the rest with lightningstrike. So did remove a HP pot for a second quicksilverflask. So did take out one of the rusty shields i had in the stash from my former templar. I think ill retrain the 5 offensive nodes, when its time for vaal-cruel, or if i find a good phys damage weapon.

my build so far, with the 5 extra damage nodes for maybe faster leveling...did take the INT route early so i can train my INT-based gems while leveling...

What kind of DPS are you getting at around lvl 37-40?
Sovyn, congrats on page 50 xD
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info