[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Khavali wrote:
Just passed through Act 3 Cruel last night and was able to get all of my 4L defenses set up and man, the build is really showing its merits at this point. Even with mediocre gear, I've melted everything I've come across without batting an eye - and static strike is still in a Four link.

Pretty impressive Sovyn...almost three years of fine tuning the guide and it certainly shows. This is the build I recommend to all the new players in my guild who don't know what to do, and it allows them to immediately love PoE, so thanks for the constant attention you've given it.

That's great, thanks for sharing that.
Update: I spent some time today updating my current gear with the Lightning Coil. Nothing over 1ex there at least on standard. If one gets good deals that is. I was patient which always pays off. Anyway the gist of the update is the DPS is nearly doubled from the prior setup. I did move Fortify off onto leap slam but that is a personal choice.
Hey Sovyn - great guide and tons of great info in here for new players. I took a long break from POE and recently returned. Will be trying out this build - it looks great.

I see you've listed a lot of skills which would work - any suggestions on which of those damage skills are the 'safest' for someone playing in hardcore league?

Thanks again for this great and detailed build
"
soth007 wrote:
I see you've listed a lot of skills which would work - any suggestions on which of those damage skills are the 'safest' for someone playing in hardcore league?

You might want to check out lightning strike actually. Ride the shift key and stay back. Can't hurt.

Weapon elemental damage, faster attacks, multistrike, added fire damage for supports. These work with the projectiles and the melee portion if so inclined. If you want to always used the ranged attack you can consider physical projectile attack damage support as well.
Hi Sovyn, I posted earlier about my progress in talisman hardcore, and I'm still doing great.

Running tier 8 maps without any problems now, my hp literally never falls below 90%.

This is my current weapon:
which has around the same pdps as a doryani's.

I was wondering if doryani's is a big upgrade dps wise for me, since I'm having a hard time seeing how it would be, but was hoping you might explain.

It's worth noting that I can't crit due to the node thingy, and wont be changing soon, unless you got a fix for the missing accuracy! :P
"
Cryknight wrote:
This is my current weapon: ..... which has around the same pdps as a doryani's.

I was wondering if doryani's is a big upgrade dps wise for me, since I'm having a hard time seeing how it would be, but was hoping you might explain.

It's worth noting that I can't crit due to the node thingy, and wont be changing soon, unless you got a fix for the missing accuracy! :P

For us, even with RT, Doryani's is equivalent to around a 380 pdps weapon, that one is only 314 pdps. I know it's hard to get Atziri loot in a hardcore league, sorry about that. Dirt common on non-hardcore as you know. If you can get your hands on it anyway you won't be sorry. :)

I think the thing that sets doryani's apart from the rares is that it has the (80 to 100)% increased Elemental Damage mod which synergises very well with elemental conversion skills (most melee skills are) and also the Hatred aura. Makes the aura(s) a lot better. Of course it gets even better with some crit capability, there is a nice crit mod on it. You can get enough accuracy with Romira's (presumably also rare on hardcore?) or just a ring with 350 accuracy or something, along with the Precision node. Galvanic Hammer is pretty amazing too. We take enough dex going over to the ranger and duelist to make it all work.

I can understand hesitation to get rid of RT on hardcore, usually you guys want life nodes out the wazoo which takes more points. I still think many of the 'gotchas' would still kill the character though even with another 500 life or whatever (bloodlines flame bearers in high maps for example.... good luck... got me today... again).
Haha thanks for the thorough explanation.

Just had to be sure before I bought one. They are getting cheaper now, since more people are doing Atziri, last I checked there was one on for 2.5 ex.

I'm gaining around 100 life for each 5% life node I pick atm, so I'll continue to take those. I might play around a bit with trying to get enough accuracy from items, but so far I'm actually really happy with my dps, and see no reason to sacrifice my survivability, even if those extra 500 hp just gives me .2 more seconds to react, which might make the difference!
"
Cryknight wrote:
see no reason to sacrifice my survivability, even if those extra 500 hp just gives me .2 more seconds to react, which might make the difference!

For me, I'm pretty much full health or dead, there is not much in between really so reaction time is a moot issue. I'm in T12+ maps. Admittedly any deaths are my fault (sort of) because when I play in public groups on standard they move far too fast to actually watch what's going on. So things like flame bearers' fire circles are very hard to see with all the screen clutter (spells etc) going off. My point is that an extra few hundred life wouldn't make the difference for me because when I die it's one-shot for far more damage than any reasonable life total that we could attain.
Great build! I'm running a iir culler at the moment. Could you suggest a viable culling skill in my 5 link?
Gearing :

"
papparrian wrote:
Great build! I'm running a iir culler at the moment. Could you suggest a viable culling skill in my 5 link?

There is the glacial hammer cull where frozen enemies are slain if they are lower than 1/3rd life. Hypothermia, melee splash, cold penetration, weapon elemental or multi or faster. Hatred and herald of ice auras of course. Tooltip won't be great but should do what you want and at higher life than culling strike could (33% monster life vs. 10%).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info