[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Following this guide as a ranger -- looking for some advice.

Should I go straight for resolute technique or is it more ideal to grab the nodes in the duelist area first?

And am I gimping myself bad during leveling by picking ranger? I like the animations more than templar....
IGN - CuttyWise
"
CuttyWise wrote:

Should I go straight for resolute technique or is it more ideal to grab the nodes in the duelist area first?

And am I gimping myself bad during leveling by picking ranger? I like the animations more than templar....

Yes, I'd make a beeline for RT then get all the block nodes and the bigger life nodes. Should work fine, the final tree is about the same.

edit, here's a tree to start with
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 21, 2015, 10:11:18 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Buiaka wrote:
Can you edit the section why doryani's is so godly as everyone seems to say? What I can see the lvl 20 ele prof is good to use with herald of ash (and other auras too, no?)
Elemental life leech is huge if ur using static strike.
And the 110% increased elemental damage, does that affect our dps too or? if yes, would switching to cyclone be bad then? Please enlighten

I think I already say enough in the guide about getting a doryani's.

One of your arguments for doryani's is that it's cheap for it's stats. In tempest they go for over 10ex for a +300pdps roll. To put that in perspective, a 340-350 pdps generic 1hand goes for 4-7ex.

Where would the threshold go for a generic rare 1h to be better than doryanis?

What about soul taker? In tempest they are at the same price/cheaper than the doryani's.

On a completely different note:
What's your take on going Arctic armor instead of herald of ice (tempest) as the 3rd aura and chaos golem instead of fire golem? Is there any other survival increasing tactics that you can share? Going some other life/armour nodes instead of the dps ones too.
Last edited by Buiaka on Jul 21, 2015, 11:11:05 PM
"
CuttyWise wrote:

scion would work better from all caz she has 3 more points to spend!
"
Sovyn wrote:

The ele prolif raises the reservation of heralds so I don't socket auras there. (25% to 35%) I want some available mana in case I miss or poacher's mark does not apply right away. May be less of a factor if you have lots of mana leech from rings or jewels. You can make it work but it's harder and not that big of a difference in damage at all.

boss with 0.8 mana leech you are fine
no needs for poachers mark
and the clearing speed feels like x2

(0.8 mana leech is fine caz we got double dps from 1.3
so with half mana leech feels the same!)

"
Sovyn wrote:

Cyclone also uses hatred and HoA so the mod is not wasted at all.
Tooltip DPS is higher on static strike but cyclone is better than you would think with only half the tooltip.

how is that possible?
i know physical dmg works better vs mobs
but its like double dmg for static!
"
Buiaka wrote:
One of your arguments for doryani's is that it's cheap for it's stats. In tempest they go for over 10ex for a +300pdps roll. To put that in perspective, a 340-350 pdps generic 1hand goes for 4-7ex.

Where would the threshold go for a generic rare 1h to be better than doryanis?

What about soul taker? In tempest they are at the same price/cheaper than the doryani's.

On a completely different note:
What's your take on going Arctic armor instead of herald of ice (tempest) as the 3rd aura and chaos golem instead of fire golem? Is there any other survival increasing tactics that you can share? Going some other life/armour nodes instead of the dps ones too.

Ah yes new leagues will be different especially hardcore because killing Atziri is a big risk there.

We do take a few mace nodes on the final tree but even not factoring that at all the Doryani's is equivalent to about a 370 pdps rare for this build.

Soul Taker has far lower dps than the other choices mentioned above.

AA is fine it's mentioned as an option in the spoiler in auras/buffs section. Herald of Ice is not much dps at all so for hardcore AA makes sense.

Chaos golem could not be up enough to matter much. They die in one hit so might as well make it a dps boost for a couple swings with flame/ice golem. Molten shell instead, perhaps.

You can take life nodes instead of dps nodes if you want but armour nodes would be a waste IMO. Use a granite flask if you want more armour (I have over 14K without it).
"
sockgr wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

The ele prolif raises the reservation of heralds so I don't socket auras there. (25% to 35%) I want some available mana in case I miss or poacher's mark does not apply right away. May be less of a factor if you have lots of mana leech from rings or jewels. You can make it work but it's harder and not that big of a difference in damage at all.

boss with 0.8 mana leech you are fine
no needs for poachers mark
and the clearing speed feels like x2

(0.8 mana leech is fine caz we got double dps from 1.3
so with half mana leech feels the same!)

"
Sovyn wrote:

Cyclone also uses hatred and HoA so the mod is not wasted at all.
Tooltip DPS is higher on static strike but cyclone is better than you would think with only half the tooltip.

how is that possible?
i know physical dmg works better vs mobs
but its like double dmg for static!

I'll keep a look out for a mana leech ring that will work for me or mana leech jewels but the build works fine without these things too.

Feels like x2? Well maybe for very easy content like regular Merciless areas. In high maps it won't matter if HoA proliferates or not IMO.

Cyclone has mobility on it's side whereas the other skills don't. That can make a big difference. Tooltip dps is meaningless, it's the overall time it takes to clear a given area that matters. That said I'm still testing and I'm working on a static strike version of my act 4 video so people can compare. I did three deathless merciless Malachai runs (no portals either) for the video so far but not sure I like any of them well enough to post yet. Takes me 10 minutes per run and I don't have 10 minutes to spare that often :)
What's your take on instead of going reckoning-curse on hit-enfeeble to go max lvl cwdt-immortal call-increased duration.

This way you will get indicated when a big ass physical hit is coming. And if you are playing in a party where someone is already casting curses, then you might aswell not use curses?

And then also maybe go +1 endurance charge from bandits.

Last edited by Buiaka on Jul 22, 2015, 1:43:10 AM
I'm working on optimizing my jewels for this build using Aegis Aurora. I already have max block, so what should the jewel stat priority be.

My guess was:
1. Spell block
2. Crit
3. Increased damage
4. Attack speed
IGN: Arcsist
"
Buiaka wrote:
What's your take on instead of going reckoning-curse on hit-enfeeble to go max lvl cwdt-immortal call-increased duration.

This way you will get indicated when a big ass physical hit is coming. And if you are playing in a party where someone is already casting curses, then you might aswell not use curses?

And then also maybe go +1 endurance charge from bandits.

I wouldn't bother with IC it would be too short to matter after multiple nerfs. If it goes off you already took that big hit. Might not be a next one anyway and you lose your endurance charges for ongoing mitigation.

If you are gonna die in HC I don't think that any of those tricks will save you. :)

+1 endurance charge is OK but I'll take the skill point every time.

Granite flask is better if you are concerned about physical hits. I think 90% mitigation for physical is enough. Worry about spells instead.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 22, 2015, 2:38:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info