Snapshotting

What if I do something like cast Poison Arrow, then swap my weapon? What happens with the cloud damage?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:
Question: Switching to a weapon set that grants me a curse skill (be it corrupted or on a unique on hit) and I apply it to the monster, does it still apply after I switch back to my regular weapons? I hope so, that was one of the reasons I liked the secondary weapon set in D2 (charges and whatnot) and IMO one of the uses for secondary weapon slot that should stay.
Yes, currently. Curses being a debuff placed on a monster rather than a buff/aura on you are not connected to you after casting.
Particularly abusive cases of curse use are being fixed via other means.
If those prove ineffective, it might be possible in future to extend this system to constant maintaining and updating of curses, but that would require an extra solution for "curse on hit" unique items, which can curse things without you ever having a curse skill.

Alright, now I can sleep at peace. Thanks Mark!

Oblivious
"
Z3roSh0t wrote:

Aight bro, Imma break this down reeeaaaaal simple for you.

Let's understand some things first.

1) The game can see all 4 weapons and considers all 4 as equipped

i'm gonna stop you there. REALLY?

THAT was your first point? wow. no, the game clearly doesn't consider them all equipped. as per the last 20 posts...

"
Z3roSh0t wrote:

You're hung up on "character snapshotting" and not realizing that minions currently take a snapshot at the time of summoning

bro, do you even read?!

that's not what i was "hung up on," at all. what i was "hung up on" was the definition of snapshotting in the first post NOT applying to using montegral's on switch, while it was still being considered snapshotting, for no apparent reason. what i was "hung up on" turned out to be that i thought the weapon/shield on the inactive slot were... inactive. but apparently, they're unequipped, and that's why their gems level up, because it makes no damn sense, at all.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Jun 17, 2014, 10:47:48 PM
@Mark_GGG In particular, could we get the downsides of these minion uniques rebalanced? The benefits from some of the items are so steep that they don't really outweigh the negatives. In particular, it's Monte's, but Midnight Bargain forcing life reservation (we can't just use it like an aura?), Vis Mortis having reduced minion life and the other ones simply being low level items.

Really, I feel like summoners are the only archetype that have giant negatives to increase their power. Other builds can get good rares with base stats like flat physical, attack speed and cast speed while minions literally gain no benefit from any of these stats.

I'd also like to chime in, this would be a good time to implement a unique (a belt, IMO) that has 100% flask effect applies to minions and utility flask effects apply to minions. Boy would that make up the difference.
"
robmafia wrote:

that's... my point? how/why are the gems gaining experience if you're saying the items are unequipped?
I prefer to think of offhand items as "inactive", rather than "unequipped".

Let's apply your logic to a non summoner item, since the logic is a bit more direct - Ungil's Gauche.

If a dual wielding build had two Ungil's in their offhand slot, they would/should, by your logic, gain 40% block chance while dual wielding whatever weapons are in their main setup. This doesn't really make sense though - the ungils aren't actually being used, they're not blocking, they're "sheathed", so it wouldn't make sense for their stats to affect the weapons being used. If you view your summons as your weapon, that's why the montegrul's switch is effectively snapshotting - it's like the quad-wielding of our hypothetical Ungils dual wielder, as the limitations of having a single weapon no longer apply.

Anyway, if you view the weapons as "sheathed" rather than "Poof, gone, things don't exist when I'm not holding them", the fact they still gain experience is sensible.
"
ComradBlack wrote:
"
robmafia wrote:

that's... my point? how/why are the gems gaining experience if you're saying the items are unequipped?
I prefer to think of offhand items as "inactive", rather than "unequipped".

...that's only exactly as i stated. *facepalm*
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
deckington wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Could you please share how you calculated these numbers?
Have you not found the zombie life bonus from the item significant in your play?

I'm guessing hes using the zombie dps calculator that was on reddit a while back.
Oh, I don't frequent the reddit, so haven't seen that. I'll go see if I can find it. I suspect it gets some things wrong.
Our (quick) calculations suggest that the Grasp's additional base life should make a significant difference in a lot of cases, comparable to Chabber, although Chabber's +1 level comes ahead more if you've got extra levels from other sources as well - 20->21 nets less life gain than 24->25, for example.

Also, has anyone compared the ability to use a shield on NA with the Grasp to help with survivablity over Chabber? The balance guys brought this up as something that might be missed when I mentioned this.

Thanks for the useful feedback and discussion, let's keep it coming.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 17, 2014, 10:51:10 PM
Since a lot of current builds will get 'broken', I am going to assume a full respec is in order?
IGNs: [TempCI, Flamin, - Std] / [EK_Tanker - HC]
[Comstark, ShavronnesMistress - Anarchy] [MontreGulsTITANS, - Dom / CLHS_Tank - Nemesis]
[Atziri_Achiever - Ambush] / [ArcerONaRampage - Rampage]
Question about Righteous Fire (post 1.2.0):

Suppose your cast an Aura linked to the Blood Magic support gem to go the low-life, and you have Redbeak equipped. You then cast RF. RF would then get the benefit of 100% increased damage.

If you then un-cast the Aura, such that you are no longer low life, does the RF damage scale accordingly? You are not changing any equipment, gems, or passives, so it does not meet the damage recalculation conditions that I think you mentioned in the OP.
Might want to take another look at tempest shields many self-disable bugs/issues too. It still turns off at seemingly random zone transitions, turns off when it levels, will sometimes turn off in some gear pieces if other gems in that gear piece level, and is extremely clunky to use in a build with an alt weapon/shield swap as swapping also turns it off.

As for the removal of snapshotting in general- better late than never!
IGN: KoTao

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info