Anything going to be done about Maphackers?

Incrimentally streaming the map seed from the server instead of sending the entire thing to the client upon zone creation eliminates maphack almost completely.

Id guess they choose not to do this for the same reason they choose not to send regular monster/player position updates to the client: To save on bandwidth usage. Theres no other good reason for the current setup considering the solution to maphack is so simple.
IGN: KoTao
Last edited by KoTao on Jan 18, 2014, 10:03:42 PM
"
janimauk wrote:
fixed signature should answer your question.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. People complain they can't compete with maphackers. Give them a signature race that vastly minimizes that. People complain that they aren't fixing maphack.

It's true that this sig race is an implicit admission that *right now* maphack is a problem. I think if it were only a perceived problem, they wouldn't have made this race.

Everyone's favorite alleged maphacker is notably absent, but the pattern seems to be a season of heavy play followed by a season vacation. Unfortunate timing means this season is his vacation, so we'll never know if this signature race had any effect.

Signature races by season:

36 S03 Descent
05 S04 105m Turbo
22 S05 2hr Solo
02 S06 100m Fixed

Races by season:

S01 30/109 28%
S02 05/260 02%
S03 39/161 24%
S04 10/163 06%
S05 46/177 26%
S06 03/047 06%
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
"
unsane wrote:

It's true that this sig race is an implicit admission that *right now* maphack is a problem. I think if it were only a perceived problem, they wouldn't have made this race.

Everyone's favorite alleged maphacker is notably absent, but the pattern seems to be a season of heavy play followed by a season vacation. Unfortunate timing means this season is his vacation, so we'll never know if this signature race had any effect.

The best is certain same people doing the same time kills on a fixed seed as a normal race, getting through certain areas or killing bosses. I've seen some times even faster on a normal race compared to fixed seed. This blows my mind.
"
terrex wrote:
"
unsane wrote:

The best is certain same people doing the same time kills on a fixed seed as a normal race, getting through certain areas or killing bosses. I've seen some times even faster on a normal race compared to fixed seed. This blows my mind.

they got dem skills 2 pay dem bills (rmt those demis/alt art demis)
Ye i find it very interesting that most players have better Vaal times (act1 is much linear than act2) on fixed seed but certain players didnt seem to improve their Vaal times at all.

The fact that you can have the same Vaal time in a non-fixed seed doesnt surprise me as much because with so many races, you might get a good run in terms of weapons/att speed/mov speed and also get lucky and dont hit huge dead-ends but ye, on average, there's no way the timings are the same.

But certain players having the same Vaal times on fixed and non-fixed on a consistent basis....yep...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by tagpt on Jan 20, 2014, 7:25:14 PM
"

Doesn't seem to be my favorite alleged maphacker because mine also does non sig races.

"

Champion packs make a huge difference that's why sins got so popular. I see players getting to level 17 in sins 1 in no time.

The best non fixed seed result I had was caused by Shiversting dropping and I didn't die.

But even then some players get 55min-1h vaal times. Imo GGG should disable champions packs on Sigs because to me it seems their experience seems to be bugged and cheaters have easier access to them.
I killed Perpetus in a race and shortly after a magic mob. The magic mob gave me 2% more experience than perpetus. I believed it was intended that uniques offer most expierence?
Or is there some weird calculation on exp malus so you lose really much experience on unique mobs when being underleveled? The standard formula didn't apply.

The mapseed on this seasons sig got some not so optimal areas.
Such as lower prison exit being blocked by Chatters which kills several no armor brutus rushers.
Sins level 3 having a rather weird type of exit which has areas being the passage and unconnected dead ends. Usually you rush as far possible and there is the passage to fidel.
But this one reminds me rather of one with the fixed swastika garbage cans without having a random chest.

Other stuff is better than on regular races such as the really short exit in ancient pyramid.
On the first or second level.

"
they got dem skills 2 pay dem bills (rmt those demis/alt art demis)

I doubt alt Art Demis got RMTed so far. Since it would be an instant invitation to a RMT warning(since he all know there are no instant RMT bans)

I know that regular demis constantly get RMTed for around 300-500 fools gold.

Also high tier alt Art rewards, have a low chance to be RMTed.
It's more like those RMTers race for the level 100 item over and over again.

"
The fact that you can have the same Vaal time in a non-fixed seed doesnt surprise me as much because with so many races, you might get a good run in terms of weapons/att speed/mov speed and also get lucky and dont hit huge dead-ends but ye, on average, there's no way the timings are the same.

The only thing that can fail in act 1 is that you find no level 8-9 upgrade, which is also useable in level 15-16 areas.
In act2 you got 3 tiers of weapons->level 12-13 17-18 and 22-23.
Usually your race is screwed up if you get no 12-13 upgrade and later no 17-18 upgrade.

The weapon receipe is flawed at best because you don't always have a whetstone to use the receipe.
And I would rather gamble with an alch than using the rare sash receipe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info