Are there any plans to balance in races?

it seems like for the most part the only build that does well consistently is spectral throw. in many cases i've noticed melee classes get annihilated ie things like running descent champions and trying to fight pagan god with 0 resist and worthless potions healing through spark and novas.

i like races as much as the next person but putting 100 kenyans in a marathon isnt exactly much of a race.
i think about 1% of balance stuff is partly targeted for racing environment
Actually, i think races get a disproportionate amount of balancing attempts (successful or otherwise) and content updates considering the tiny percent of the total player base that regularly attends races (id guess well under 1%).

Not that im complaining, of course. Races are the only reason im still playing at all.
IGN: KoTao
Balancing steps are far too slow in PoE, just look how long ele cleave was powerful.

Same thing happened to Ground Slam in CB.

Descent Champions is a bad example because the first 3 areas are the hardest of the entire mode.

I think the devs intended to make them large mazes you should rather skip of go ranged and fire some shots and run away again.

The bosses are far easier on ranged characters or you were forced to take certain weapons.

Kudukus problem is the Shocking Ground after the lightning warp which makes it hard to fight him as Dualwield Cleaver for example.

On the other side Kole is much easier on not being ST. ST will destroy the skeletons and cause Soul Eater to trigger.
If your weapon is total crap, it will be really hard to deal with Kole as thrower.

The Avatar of Tempest shows the major unbalance of this mode. 2 heavy hitting attacks and only the Stormy ledge paths offers you some protection against inner Halls 2/3 further areas.

Hatebeat is a joke. The firestorm doesn't do damage and Sparks will never hit you because they are always summoned around you. It would make a major difference if those Totems were Arc totems.

In regular racing you only have to deal with following:
1. Know the most effective areas to level up at your current level.
2. Have some luck at level 8, 13, 17 ,23.... with weapons and mods(in terms of casters a +1 wand is needed)
3. Have luck with currency and merchants so you can buy Topaz rings for sins for example.
4. Have some luck on density.
5. Have luck with maplayouts.

Everything else only relies on the path offering most damage nodes and around 300 life(without items) at level 20.

For example try using 2 Iron Rings at the beginning of the race.
Kill a big zombiepack for level 2.
Get the WP buy a 2h weapon if 2h melee and check for ms boots.
Get the QS flask.
Skip all rhoas.
Kill some bigger squidpacks on your path in lower passage.
Kill some bigger squidpacks on your path to ledge.

You should be level 3-4 at only 3-4 minutes should have passed in the best case.
Get level 6 at ledge kill some mobs on your path to find a weapon upgrade.
Rush to upper prison get level 8-9.

Be aware that the Iron Ring path+Rustic Sash path allows you to one shot mobs but if too many mobs survive around you especially in Turbo(also mud flats) the Rocky Climb and Prisoners gate might get you killed.

"
Races are the only reason im still playing at all.

Same here.

"
Hilbert wrote:
Spoiler
2. Have some luck at level 8, 13, 17 ,23.... with weapons and mods(in terms of casters a +1 wand is needed)
3. Have luck with currency and merchants so you can buy Topaz rings for sins for example.

Everything else only relies on the path offering most damage nodes and around 300 life(without items) at level 20.

Get the QS flask.
Skip all rhoas.

You should be level 3-4 at only 3-4 minutes should have passed in the best case.

Be aware that the Iron Ring path+Rustic Sash path allows you to one shot mobs but if too many mobs survive around you especially in Turbo(also mud flats) the Rocky Climb and Prisoners gate might get you killed.

I cannot figure out why this is relevant to this topic.

Also: Are you saying that you do Hailrake, get to lvl 4 and arrive in Ledge in only 3-4 minutes? :o
I am stating the optimal case->Iron rings+Ms boots dropped by Hillock(Better Wanderlust)
Optimal Hillock Route(those going slightly north and heavily north are the shortest ones)
Hailrake straight north east.
Glyphs+exit being able in a straight line towards north.
I am not sure about the shortest lower Passage but I think whose with the big room should be among the shortest ones.
Upper Passage straight north east.

Just look how lucky some people are in 12 min bursts getting 45-46k exp on ledge.
"
Hilbert wrote:
Balancing steps are far too slow in PoE, just look how long ele cleave was powerful.

Same thing happened to Ground Slam in CB.

Descent Champions is a bad example because the first 3 areas are the hardest of the entire mode.

I think the devs intended to make them large mazes you should rather skip of go ranged and fire some shots and run away again.

The bosses are far easier on ranged characters or you were forced to take certain weapons.

Kudukus problem is the Shocking Ground after the lightning warp which makes it hard to fight him as Dualwield Cleaver for example.

On the other side Kole is much easier on not being ST. ST will destroy the skeletons and cause Soul Eater to trigger.
If your weapon is total crap, it will be really hard to deal with Kole as thrower.

The Avatar of Tempest shows the major unbalance of this mode. 2 heavy hitting attacks and only the Stormy ledge paths offers you some protection against inner Halls 2/3 further areas.

Hatebeat is a joke. The firestorm doesn't do damage and Sparks will never hit you because they are always summoned around you. It would make a major difference if those Totems were Arc totems.

Get the QS flask.
Skip all rhoas.

"
Races are the only reason im still playing at all.

Same here.

Bosses are always easier for ranged, it's like this in pretty much any game ever made.

I played a lot of dual wield cleave early on in the descent champion, and I never died to lightning totem, nor brutus. YOu know you can just run away and kill skeletons to reset potions right? So even if you somehow don't dodge the lightning warp which you always know 100% is coming even if you "desynch" you can still just run away and heal up/kill adds.

Kole goes down so easy as spectral throw it's hilarious. I've never died on him as neither cleave nor ST, and I never really understand how so many people always post in the race thread how he's so op. The only actual thing you have to do is not facetank him the whole fight. He even outruns the skeletons so if you re position your angle correctly you won't hit them most of the time.

The avatar of tempest/hatebeat balance is pretty dumb, I agree. But you can actually outrun the stormherald with quicksilver/good movespeed boots if you have bad resists. Just start at one corner at the start of the fight, as soon as the storm starts, immediatly skoot'n shoot with quicksilver towards the other corner. ST at that point usually hits so hard that she dies in a few seconds. Even if she doesn't, just run back as the storm gets closer and do it again.

As for your regular race dream strategy, feel free to provide proof that someone can solo kill hailrake and solo hit ledge before 5 mins. Even with wanderlust + the lvl0 sword you are still going to get crab'd.
[quote="Hilbert"]
CT should be around the art of PKing and not griefing lower levels.
[/quote]
http://www.twitch.tv/zoroxo123
"
KoTao wrote:
Actually, i think races get a disproportionate amount of balancing attempts (successful or otherwise) and content updates considering the tiny percent of the total player base that regularly attends races (id guess well under 1%).

Not that im complaining, of course. Races are the only reason im still playing at all.

What do you mean? Other than things like monster scaling (for endless ledge) and descent chest rebalance, I can't think of any balancing attempts specifically for racing.

Things like Cleave adjust and Ranger start rebalance effect races, but effect the core game just as much.
I never died to Kuduko either. But I managed to die once to Kole killing his skeletons too often-->So Soul Eater turned him into an around 35% faster version not desyncing like Brutus but faster than Onslaught.
But at that time even his hook attack did 60% damage to me.

It's understandable players using AoE skills on him and getting rid of the skeletons will turn him into a monster being able to one shot you.

The Avatar of Tempest isn't that hard if you survived the first summon because its HP is low.
The main issue is the 1 second lag of the skeletons which is similar to the Skeleton totems in Latif races causing initial lagging bomb totems almost instantly killing you.
The 1 second lag is enough to kill you. Because Thunderstorm is an autocast and the summons are always followed by arctic breath.

I had 1 Rip 2 almost rips without flask and 2 safe runs. But in general the Ice cave paths offer next to no experience and I always had serious problems in inner halls level 2 because I had no ruby ring.(or a low level one from the level 10 zone)

That's why I am talking about an optimal run.

I am not talking about a regular or a bad luck run. I am talking about the best case possible.

I have seen players finding weapons of hillock which were strong like a 30ed Tribal maul.
Last edited by Hilbert on Dec 7, 2013, 11:09:49 PM
GGG balance. Nerf cleave, add spectral throw.

Honestly I just want ele cleave back, why can't they just revert that nerf to ele cleave so that templar can cleave again? Even pre-nerf ele cleave wasn't anywhere close to as good as spectral throw, but I personally enjoyed it alot more.

I don't want to use Spectral throw or ground slam, that's why I haven't played a 2h solo in ages, spectral throw is just silly and ground slam is roll good weapon or get owned.

By reverting the nerf to cleave class balance and skill diversity would improve alot.

Now:

Scion: ST/Leap Slam
Duelist: Leap Slam
Marauder: Leap Slam
Ranger: ST
Shadow: ST
Templar Ground Slam
Witch: gay spells

cleave buffed

Scion: ST/Leap Slam
Duelist Leap Slam
Marauder: Leap Slam