so proud right now.... oh wait a minute!

"
johnKeys wrote:
that's the problem: guys like you can do at least 1 race a day, and even if you pick up 4 points per race, you move up in the season ladder and rack-up awards.

I can't. job. family. time-zone issues.
I can race occasionally, and I'm also very picky with the types of races I enter.

so for me to get somewhere, and pick up some cool alternate-alt loots, basically means winning every race.

I have a job and a time zone as well and I don't do that many races.

However, I am a competitive person. I do not care about season ladder (because I have no chance with a full time job) and I care very little about race rewards. I play for the competition. That is why I would always go for lvl 20 (in your example) even though I would get the same points for lvl 15 and even though I risk dying. Because I want to reach lvl 21 next time. I am trying to push myself. That is where your problem is. You focus too much on the rewards and too little on improving yourself because you dont think you can. Well, you can! Everyone was a bad or at most mediocre racer once. I remember watching Nugiyen's first under 2 hours Vaal kill on stream. Yes, things have changed, things got buffed/nerfed but you get the picture. I can assure you, that those who make it into top 50 every single race, they went for level 20 even though they didn't get more points than at lvl 15.

You are not wrong to focus on rewards. But you will have to acknowledge that more time spent = more rewards. Some players think these rewards are insanely cool. Well, you should not expect to get cool stuff for free.. then it would not be cool anymore.

If you cannot race as much as you want because you have a job and a family, accept it. Be happy that you got a job and a family and no time to race. There are most likely people out there in the opposite situation that would be happy to swap.

Again, I do agree with you. It is not rewarding enough to place in the top 10-20% in a race as it is now (notice the use of a percentage rather than a flat number).
Last edited by Hassefar60 on Nov 21, 2013, 2:25:18 PM
"
Hassefar60 wrote:

Again, I do agree with you. It is not rewarding enough to place in the top 10-20% in a race as it is now (notice the use of a percentage rather than a flat number).

absolutely.

as for going for level X+5 despite knowing I got the points at level X, I tend to do just that - and it's an attitude that gets me RIP time and again in Endless Ledge :)

needless to say, I get no points when I RIP.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
Hassefar60 wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
that's the problem: guys like you can do at least 1 race a day, and even if you pick up 4 points per race, you move up in the season ladder and rack-up awards.

I can't. job. family. time-zone issues.
I can race occasionally, and I'm also very picky with the types of races I enter.

so for me to get somewhere, and pick up some cool alternate-alt loots, basically means winning every race.

I have a job and a time zone as well and I don't do that many races.

However, I am a competitive person. I do not care about season ladder (because I have no chance with a full time job) and I care very little about race rewards. I play for the competition. That is why I would always go for lvl 20 (in your example) even though I would get the same points for lvl 15 and even though I risk dying. Because I want to reach lvl 21 next time. I am trying to push myself. That is where your problem is. You focus too much on the rewards and too little on improving yourself because you dont think you can. Well, you can! Everyone was a bad or at most mediocre racer once. I remember watching Nugiyen's first under 2 hours Vaal kill on stream. Yes, things have changed, things got buffed/nerfed but you get the picture. I can assure you, that those who make it into top 50 every single race, they went for level 20 even though they didn't get more points than at lvl 15.

You are not wrong to focus on rewards. But you will have to acknowledge that more time spent = more rewards. Some players think these rewards are insanely cool. Well, you should not expect to get cool stuff for free.. then it would not be cool anymore.

If you cannot race as much as you want because you have a job and a family, accept it. Be happy that you got a job and a family and no time to race. There are most likely people out there in the opposite situation that would be happy to swap.

Yeah, that's the other side of the issue. Race rewards should still have intrinsic value by virtue of them being difficult to obtain. I think what's most important here is that there is a middleground, a perfect equilibrium.

I think it's possible to make racing more beginner friendly without affecting the top of the ladder at all.

I think adjusting the point values and re-working the reward system would be big step in the right direction.

I guess right now is not the perfect time to complain about the state of racing, because participation numbers are very high, but that is largely the result of the post-release hype around racing. Once lower skilled players start to realize (like JohnKeys has) that racing really isn't rewarding for them at all I expect the numbers to drop significantly.

I mean, taken to the extreme, we could argue that race rewards really shouldn't exist in the first place, because it should only be about competition. But nobody would want that either, so why not strike a balance here? Make it competitive and rewarding for everyone. High level rewards should still only be obtainable by high level players, but I see nothing wrong with re-adjusting the points for lower levels and re-working the reward system from the ground-up.
(edit: I just realized that I used the term "level" kind of loosely here, but I'm obviously refering to player skill and not character level, just to clarify)

In my opinion the reward system can't really get much worse than it is.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Nov 21, 2013, 2:42:06 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
Hassefar60 wrote:

absolutely.

as for going for level X+5 despite knowing I got the points at level X, I tend to do just that - and it's an attitude that gets me RIP time and again in Endless Ledge :)

needless to say, I get no points when I RIP.

Well.. I would not use an extremely random race type like Endless Ledge as example. I would rather use the signature race, a 2 hour solo race. You see players reach act 3 in 70 minutes. Set a personal goal: Reach it within the 2 hours, then 110 minutes, then 100 minutes. If you do not believe that you will ever be able to do that, you already lost.

And by the way.. in Endless Ledge, Descent and the new Descent Champions you actually do get points even if you die.
Last edited by Hassefar60 on Nov 21, 2013, 2:47:35 PM
"
Well.. I would not use an extremely random race type like Endless Ledge as example. I would rather use the signature race, a 2 hour solo race. You see players reach act 3 in 70 minutes. Set a personal goal: Reach it within the 2 hours, then 110 minutes, then 100 minutes. If you do not believe that you will ever be able to do that, you already lost.

It will be impossible for casual racers to reach act 3 in a short time because cascual racers use different skillgems.

Ask any racer if he is able to do Vaal in 70 min when he uses Spark/Split Arrow as main skill.
The answer is obviously NO!

If every player would be forced to use the same skill and items would be all white the times would be far worse.

and I especially consider no Mode races as a bad example because in this mode all you need is experience and a portion of luck.

There were 20 min difference in a Vaalkill (1h20 vs 1h40) in a 2h and a 3h race because during the 3h race I had no transmutes and my EQ was white because nothing else dropped.
I couldn't even use proper linking till level 19.

Racers usually go all out damage and attack/castspeed and just take life nodes not to be one shot.

That's a thing you can do in normal mode.
If the mode if turbo you will automatically either take more defensive nodes or attack smaller packs because you will automatically receive more hits.

The normal race modes currently have a rip count to almost zer on higher rankings because you can go all out damage!

Hilbert, I understand that this really bothers you and that's fine, it's your opinion. But do you have to derail every thread to make it about something it is obviously not?

We are talking about points and rewards and somehow you found a way to now discuss race mods..

That's a seperate issue and really has nothing to do with this topic.

And I see you do this all the time, it's really strange.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
"
SlixSC wrote:
Hilbert, I understand that this really bothers you and that's fine, it's your opinion. But do you have to derail every thread to make it about something it is obviously not?

We are talking about points and rewards and somehow you found a way to now discuss race mods..

That's a seperate issue and really has nothing to do with this topic.

And I see you do this all the time, it's really strange.

I have to agree here. Having and sharing your opinion is fine. And your facts are correct. But they are off topic. It cannot be a surprise to anyone that you cannot do Vaal 70 minutes with a random spec.
Last edited by Hassefar60 on Nov 21, 2013, 5:46:43 PM
If these participation levels keep up GGG may need to extend the class ranking further than the top 20. Statistics from previous seasons have consistently shown that the gap between different classes are enormous. Since GGG does not balance for races we should not expect the situation to ever change, therefore measuring every class against the same standard is not good for the top. I'd say remove the 10 point level par, distribute those points into class rankings, and extend the tail so it grabs top 50 or top 100 for class bonus.

edit: oops I thought I was writing a new topic, guess I will leave this here for laughs
Last edited by PolarisOrbit on Nov 21, 2013, 10:45:06 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
I'm not even remotely good enough for that, and I can't compete with some of the top or even medium-skilled guys out there.

There's no skill involved in poe races
It comes down to 2 things
have you spent 30 mins learking the tilesets? I know I haven't and I usually lose 15 min in races because I get lost
Are you following the metagame ? If you like one gem more than another, races are probably not the place where you should show your affection
Assuring a top3 finish of your class only requires a few minutes of reflexion directed towards the game rather than whining on forums, just don't pick ranger for this season
Last edited by Pam on Nov 22, 2013, 7:34:44 AM
"
Pam wrote:
git gud!

fixed.

your post is off-topic, and contributes nothing to this thread.

I already admitted more than once, that my racing skills aren't Helman-grade to say the least.
they are also unlikely to change, because I don't enter remotely as many races as you do.

but I still want to feel encouraged to push harder. being told "yeah you'll get 3 points by hitting level 16, but it'll be 4 points for level 20, so don't just stand there and casually farm a safe spot until the race ends! gogogogo!".

and I still want to feel rewarded if I was lucky enough to finish in the top 10% of the class, instead of being told "yeah you didn't finish on top. too bad".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info