GGG, you seriously need to do something about your international ISPs

Playing in Singapore realm and it's been a complete trainwreck all league. The game is actually unplayable throughout the day. I've done the WinMTR tests and the packet loss is always coming from the host. From what I see on these threads, Singapore isn't alone here.

You've had a lot of new players entering the game this league, which is awesome. But this is not a good look for you, especially as POE2 is set for early access. Why would new players stick around for a busted live service game? I know you're super busy preparing for it's release, but this issue seems to need addressing sooner rather than later.
Last bumped on Sep 3, 2024, 4:57:12 AM
"
SpoofyOof wrote:
Playing in Singapore realm and it's been a complete trainwreck all league. The game is actually unplayable throughout the day. I've done the WinMTR tests and the packet loss is always coming from the host. From what I see on these threads, Singapore isn't alone here.

You've had a lot of new players entering the game this league, which is awesome. But this is not a good look for you, especially as POE2 is set for early access. Why would new players stick around for a busted live service game? I know you're super busy preparing for it's release, but this issue seems to need addressing sooner rather than later.

This is also an issue in Europe (specifically I have knowledge that Telia causes issues for console players using the Frankfurt server, so we prefer the London server even though it’s further away).
Sadly GGG has literally no control whatsoever on how your client routes to their servers, they can do nothing about it at all. Though more servers at more locations would help of course.
Last edited by Timbo Zero on Aug 31, 2024, 4:05:01 AM
"
Timbo Zero wrote:
"
SpoofyOof wrote:

This is also an issue in Europe (specifically I have knowledge that Telia causes issues for console players using the Frankfurt server, so we prefer the London server even though it’s further away).
Sadly GGG has literally no control whatsoever on how your client routes to their servers, they can do nothing about it at all. Though more servers at more locations would help of course.

I'm aware they don't have direct control over the server bases throughout their various gateways. It's generally handled by larger ISPs within those countries. But, they are paying for that service, and they can escalate these issues to those ISPs or even migrate entirely to a more reliable provider. Albeit, the logistics of the latter would be a lot more work and likely impossible to accomplish mid-league without facing significant downtime in those regions.
"
SpoofyOof wrote:
"
Timbo Zero wrote:
"
SpoofyOof wrote:

I'm aware they don't have direct control over the server bases throughout their various gateways. It's generally handled by larger ISPs within those countries. But, they are paying for that service, and they can escalate these issues to those ISPs or even migrate entirely to a more reliable provider. Albeit, the logistics of the latter would be a lot more work and likely impossible to accomplish mid-league without facing significant downtime in those regions.

I wish that were true, sadly all they pay for is (for example) an AWS or Azure server in a specific locale which then routes statistical data to them and we ‘play’ on that ‘server blade’. How your home routes to that server is entirely out of their hands other than providing more servers in more locations.
I feel your pain, we on console due to there only being 2 European servers get the same issue constantly
"
Timbo Zero wrote:

I wish that were true, sadly all they pay for is (for example) an AWS or Azure server in a specific locale which then routes statistical data to them and we ‘play’ on that ‘server blade’. How your home routes to that server is entirely out of their hands other than providing more servers in more locations.
I feel your pain, we on console due to there only being 2 European servers get the same issue constantly

That's a good point. I hope it's something they're at least looking into mitigating in the future. I love the game and want to see it continue to flourish.
Last edited by SpoofyOof on Aug 31, 2024, 4:45:45 AM
"
SpoofyOof wrote:

That's a good point. I hope it's something they're at least looking into mitigating in the future. I love the game and want to see it continue to flourish.

Agreed, poe2 needs to have near flawless early access and more servers would help with this massively. And proactively adjusting servers (I know both examples of AWS and Azure do this automatically within the band paid for) as player bases move would also help the issue a lot.
Last edited by Timbo Zero on Aug 31, 2024, 4:54:46 AM
I should add, this is kind of a big deal… GGG get blamed all the time for this very issue (which is out of their hands) when 90%+ of the time it’s local routing not their servers at fault.
They do pretty well for a free game but i bet with the revenues they make from MTX that there’s enough profits such that CW doesn’t drive a Fiat 500 lol. A little more investment in more international servers would improve the situation and their (GGG) reputation even if the issue isn’t their own.
If that makes sense?
Last edited by Timbo Zero on Aug 31, 2024, 4:53:16 AM
"
Timbo Zero wrote:

"
Timbo Zero wrote:
How your home routes to that server is entirely out of their hands other than providing more servers in more locations.

"
Timbo Zero wrote:
I should add, this is kind of a big deal… GGG get blamed all the time for this very issue (which is out of their hands) when 90%+ of the time it’s local routing not their servers at fault. <snip> even if the issue isn’t their own.

GGG has the power to significantly improve these issues.
2 obvious approaches:

1) Stick with good routes and ditch bad routes. One of the symptoms in EU (for me at least) is that some connections are much better than other connections. There is no inherent need to reconnect all the time like GGG does. And if they want to stick with their reconnect-all-the-time scheme they could still do better by ditching bad routes per building another connection. Obviously this wont fix everything. But almost all the bad connections in this league which I had (in EU) were of this type that "manual reconnection" (leaving area and reentering) had a good chance to fix it.

2) Make/use proxy (not sure this is the right word) servers against known bad routes.

(There is probably more they can do but I have limited technical insight.)
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
post the WinMTR result to prove it

This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
post the WinMTR result to prove it

This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info