FPS Locked on Dx12 or Vulkan Renderer

The game locks its fps to 53/54 fps exactly on both Vulkan and Dx12.

I have see few posts so far about this but no fix has been found about this yet (old posts)

I have tried everything, new drivers (DDU), reinstalling the game, clear shaders and cache, nuking all files related to PoE from the system and doing a fresh install, windowed mode, fullscreen, multithread on/off, low/high settings, no other background apps but PoE, (PoE is always as ran as admin), different monitor settings, different DisplayPort cable, unlocking or locking frames from Nvidia panel etc.

This only happens to PoE, all other games are perfectly happen to run in Dx12 or Vulkan on my rtx 2070

I will like to also note that this started after the recent graphical change patches.

Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 32 GB RAM (31.91 GB RAM usable)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 120Hz
Operating system: Windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3kXH37yWeU
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2024, 12:08:10 PM
I have the exact same problem...
Just out of curiosity I nuked my drivers again with DDU and tried it once more but I still had no changes.

I also tried to do a VM and launch it in there as a completely "fresh new machine" and experienced the same issues.

So whatever is causing this, is most likely not liking the combination of my hardware or a piece of hardware (from PoE side)
i have the same problem, at the start of the league my fps was capped in 80fps, but yesterday changes to 50fps, now its unplayable
I am having a similar problem which I will try to describe in more detail:

Problem
The bug appears per session of POE so there is a good & a bad session.
The good session will start with the 60+ fps and just run the game normally. Occasional drops to 45~ when there is much going on, but that's normal due to the low setup I bring

For the bad session I start the game, everything is locked on 47~ fps maximum, like starting from the GGG logo, to main menu, to standing afk in the hideout. Lowering the solution to 800x600 for example will not improve that 47.

Additionally, it's like there is a huge blockage of loading textures. When entering new regions like a harvest for example, ground tiles and effects of the things will need over 5 minutes to load, if they ever finish loading. Also the performance in general is worse, like everything has a -20fps malus.

The game logs output itself show no errors or problems whatsoever. Also CPU and GPU usage and load seem reasonable.

Solution attemps
First attempts where trying different proton versions & changing parameters, but it had literally no effect.

Next the Desktop env was the target(GNOME), where I tryed alternatives e.g. openbox, but the same thing persisted.

I then tried clearing all the shadercaches and removed the prefix completely, which had also no effect.

Next, Steam itself was in my target where I first tried some tweaks there, but then decided to try out the POE standalone. Short things short, steam is not at fault, as the standalone version has the exact same result.

I also tried different dxvk-versions(default:latest) and tried all on/off combinations of syncs to rule them out as a problem.

The unexplainable
Like mentioned above, sometimes(very rare) I get the regular working session. I can play it without problems for the whole session and use the system normally with it in the background. I have no idea what causes this, as I had seemingly identical preconditions on some startups, where some would result in the good session, but most in the bad.

System specs
CPU:
AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor

GPU:
NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] using nvidia 535.104.05-2 drivers
Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.255

RAM:
16GB, but with POE running I'm at ~8 so that shouldn't be an issue

Archlinux with 6.4.12-arch1-1

Env:
GNOME 44.4

Game:
Both steam version and standalone.

Tested on steam with Proton 8.0-3, Experimental, GE Proton 8.14, 8.12, 7.55, and also no compability tool(which won't start).

Tested standalone with lutris using lutris-GE 8.7

Tried out most useful combinations of start parameters listed on https://www.protondb.com/app/238960

---------------------

Really couldn't find the problem. Last time I got the 60fps working variant was yesterday, but I was getting the 47-locked ones for some time now aswell
I have same problem.

Vulkan 22 fps locked
DX12 22 fps locked

Lowering options and resolution doesn't help.

DX11 resolve the issue, but it start to crash PC during TOTA session since last patch.

I even clean installed windows 11 but still same.

Intel 10400/GTX1660S 16GB RAM run@ 1920x1080
Windows 11
Last edited by JANG1665 on Sep 8, 2023, 10:32:27 PM
GGG please give an update or any suggestions to this because its driving me insane.

Playing with dx11 causes crashes all the time and cannot do any content that overlaps stuff else I would crash (example: delirium + ritual = crash if pack size is over 20%)

I have search countless forums for a lot of games and most of them that have in common is that the client locks their fps down to 1/3 of their refresh rate or a ration close to it (so 144 / 3 = 48 fps)

In nearly all the cases that this was resolved was either the devs patched it or nvidia/amd patched it for their devs.

Edit: The worse part is that I would be again to play with 48 fps if it was not for the insane input lag this stupid fps lock causes.

I go from 3-4ms to 20-25ms, that kind of difference makes it feel like my mouse is stuck in honey and I cant really do anything responsive.
Last edited by bilibull on Sep 22, 2023, 9:09:08 AM
Update for those having this issue still.

It seems is being caused by the PCIe bus lane speed. For some odd reason, after the engine update, if you are still using the x8 1.x speeds, it will no longer work with the new changes.

So in case you are running an SLI setup with lower due to mobo limitations or have a mobo that cannot support x16 3.x speeds etc, then you will get frame capped.

I forced my GPU slot to be in x16 lane and it no longer caps at DX12.

Hope this info helps someone out there.
any more news on this? vulkan and dx12 caps at around 20-25 fps and dx11 is "normal fps" but with lots of stutter and shit

vulkan and dx12 used to work for me but yea i guess something got messed up in some update (not on my end)

ty
Had cap fps on vulkan and dx12! After an intense search got the answer. My gpu was wrong seated (loose)! it can be also if you have a PCI card (audio, wi fi, etc) that makes your GPU work in less than 16x pci lanes! You can look with GPUz software! (give a stress test to your gpu when you open GPUz and look for how many pci lanes is using!!) If your gpu is using 8x, 4x or 2x pci lanes, that is why PoE caps your fps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info