[3.25] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
WinterHiko wrote:
I still struggle with feeling the 8% difference in attack block chance from Steelwood, but you have way more experience than me.

It's not about the 8% block, it's about the 800 armour. Look at the phys mitigation with and without it (just let some Act 10 trash hit you while the stat panel is open). It becomes less important with good gear, but it's a real life saver early on, in nasty maps, or in Sim. Places where you can take a lot of hits.

Genuine question : how much of a difference can 800 armour make? With how armour calculations work, it will only protect against really small hits, right?
"
WinterHiko wrote:
Genuine question : how much of a difference can 800 armour make? With how armour calculations work, it will only protect against really small hits, right?

The difference between 0 armour and 800 armour is quite significant when dealing with a lot of small physical hits. There are armour-to-mitigation graphs in the wiki. High amounts of armour give diminishing returns. But a small amount goes a long way.
New video: Uber Maven

A demo of the new high end version with Hatred.

I've been ignoring this boss because of the terrible RvR. Last video was from 3.18 when she was added to the game. Now they gave her a new loot item, but it's too rare (2% chance) and is only worth 8 Div. And they nerfed her chance to drop awakened gems. So she's still not worth farming. User Sirus is FAR more profitable.

I am using Heartstopper jewels for Uber Maven and Uber Sirus to reduce the risk of dying. You can kill them faster with Opportunistic but less safely (and dying once may lead to more deaths). One Step Ahead is awesome for both of them.

This also shows the power of namelocking, especially in the final phase. She teleports off screen but Icestorm keeps following her as long as I hold the button and use Frostblink without interrupting my casting.

Added the Hatred version to the build and the gearing guide. 33% more damage is worth the investment. Crafting the helmet is only moderately painful. Enlighten 4 is 12 Div. 2-mod Watcher's Eye is ~3 Div (and worth divining to 13-15% cold pen if it has less).
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 17, 2023, 1:50:18 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
WinterHiko wrote:
I still struggle with feeling the 8% difference in attack block chance from Steelwood, but you have way more experience than me.

It's not about the 8% block, it's about the 800 armour. Look at the phys mitigation with and without it (just let some Act 10 trash hit you while the stat panel is open). It becomes less important with good gear, but it's a real life saver early on, in nasty maps, or in Sim. Places where you can take a lot of hits.

You know, this is fascinating, because I've always heard the opposite : if you're not stacking armour, it's pretty useless, because big hits will have no mitigation.

I've taken a look at the graphs on the wiki and you are perfectly right. For a hit of 500 before mitigation, for instance, going from 0 to 800 is about 25% mitigation, which is huge. Going from 1500 (with the flask up) to 2300 seems to be the difference between 32-35% mitigation and 46-48%, which means 65-68% damage taken to 54-56%, or a 15-20% reduction, once again a huge difference. I'm not getting into the specific formulas, because my brain hurts, but it seems to be around these numbers.

Even against big hits, it's not negligible. A 5000 hit, for instance, would be mitigated by 2-3%. Doesn't seem huge, but that's still 100-150 less raw damage, which is not nothing.

Thank you once again for providing explanations, as I've learned new important infos!
So I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I've never gotten to mapping and felt miserable with a character. I map just "fine" but the moment I boss it's just awful. I know I need more Int but can't get anything. I feel as though struggling this soon is just a sign. Never had this issue before with any other build. Also feel as playing it on console is only making things harder as I only can cast icestorm in front of me, which makes targeting a boss near impossible. I was so excited to finally play this build as I've been looking at it for leagues and sincerely don't know where to go. I feel I'm missing something (usually my life) and not sure how to fix...
"
Call-Me-Chaf wrote:
So I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I've never gotten to mapping and felt miserable with a character. I map just "fine" but the moment I boss it's just awful. I know I need more Int but can't get anything. I feel as though struggling this soon is just a sign. Never had this issue before with any other build. Also feel as playing it on console is only making things harder as I only can cast icestorm in front of me, which makes targeting a boss near impossible. I was so excited to finally play this build as I've been looking at it for leagues and sincerely don't know where to go. I feel I'm missing something (usually my life) and not sure how to fix...

i can't relate to console play but... i was struggling really bad to get into yellow maps. white maps were easy. then i finally farmed enough for an upgrade. that made it a little better getting into yellow maps. then i made my body armour following the guide. it's not great and will be replace with better but has made a massive change

i went from barely surviving T11-13 to being able to wipe 100%+ quantity T16 corrupt rares with about 20 minutes of downtime and guide crafting

and a massive quality of life is the boots for this build. an absolute must

the guide and build is very solid with no false claims. it's also VERY nice to be able to simply weapon swap with the press of a key to go from map clear to bossing

and i'm also just a casual player with crap internet that lags all the time lol

you just need to work on your gear from what i see as that will help tons
poe is going down fast. Diablo 4 and Baldur's Gate 3 have no performance issues. play them instead
"
spaceace7373 wrote:
"
Call-Me-Chaf wrote:

i can't relate to console play but... i was struggling really bad to get into yellow maps. white maps were easy. then i finally farmed enough for an upgrade. that made it a little better getting into yellow maps. then i made my body armour following the guide. it's not great and will be replace with better but has made a massive change
Unavailable

i went from barely surviving T11-13 to being able to wipe 100%+ quantity T16 corrupt rares with about 20 minutes of downtime and guide crafting

and a massive quality of life is the boots for this build. an absolute must
Unavailable

the guide and build is very solid with no false claims. it's also VERY nice to be able to simply weapon swap with the press of a key to go from map clear to bossing

and i'm also just a casual player with crap internet that lags all the time lol

you just need to work on your gear from what i see as that will help tons

And that's pretty much what I thought. Just feels bleh on console. Mentions of name locking and that doesn't exist in my experience. I can target a boss but the moment I move from getting hit my icestorms are now off screen. Though the gear will likely help, just rough cause I can't farm much of anything. I just get poked in poof in the damn lava lake map and it's just frustrating as I've never had this issue.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Call-Me-Chaf wrote:

You are using items with no Int. The guide says in multiple places that this build is based on Int and all items except the unique boots MUST HAVE INT. Playing an Int stacking build without Int is not going to be great.

I made a step by step gearing guide a few days ago (3rd post of this thread). Check it out and start by fixing your gear.

No idea how the controller works. But isn't there a button you can assign Icestorm to and hold while Frostblinking around the boss? You avoid big hits not by walking around but by blinking. While holding the Icestorm button with the boss on target.

You also decided not to take Heartstopper, so you are enjoying a glass cannon experience. Without the damage xD. You can fix that by doing the Uber Lab - after fixing your gear and getting the boots and amulet (and anointing Steelwood Stance).
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 17, 2023, 7:13:00 PM
anyone mind looking at my profile and letting me know if i'm doing anything specifically wrong with the high end version?

i feel like my dps is off. i acknowledge i need to 20 qual my gems and need to get an opportunistic forbidden (but its a bit pricey right now and whirling barrier + deadly infusion gives me something at least).
Why does Kelvynn have Watcher's Eye with two Clarity mods, even though he replaced Clarity with Hatred in the header?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info