Melee Splash

Thank you GGG for the inc radius. This support gem feels MUCH better now.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
"
Odoakar wrote:
Does anyone know how the skill works with Lightning strike, does the initial melee hit apply splash or do the projectiles also add splash damage?
Brutus. Do you even sync?
Only to the melee attack portion
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
It has probably been mentioned already here, but melee splash causes a lot of desync. Not sure why that would be the case, but when I plug it to infernal blow, every other mob I desync.

A shame, since it turns an awesome skill into somethign annoying =/
Is Viper Strike permanently disabled with Melee Splash or will it be re-investigated at some point?
I really liked this until I realized that you have to click on the target or you get no splash effect. Right clicking all over the place to AoE the area isn't possible with this gem like it is with cleave. What a disappointment.
"
Moosifer wrote:
Feels much better, thanks for the adjustment.

Only gripe, why does it do less damage to the main target at all?

For the same reason that multiple projectile supports do less damage - it'd be too good otherwise. The ability to turn any single-target melee attack into an AoE is powerful enough that it needs some downside on top of the cost multiplier.

Where Melee Splash really shines is with skills that have an effect that is not directly linked to damage output. For instance:

- Glacial Hammer shatters monsters with any amount of damage as long as they are below 1/3 life and frozen
- Infernal Blow puts a temporary effect on mobs that causes them to explode on death
- Dominating Blow puts a temporary effect on mobs that causes them to reanimate as minions on death

All these special effects apply to everything in the AoE and are not diminished at all by the 'less damage' modifier.
"
tsmonteiro wrote:
It has probably been mentioned already here, but melee splash causes a lot of desync. Not sure why that would be the case, but when I plug it to infernal blow, every other mob I desync.

A shame, since it turns an awesome skill into somethign annoying =/

^ Agreed. Also, the radius of melee splash still feels a little to small. I dont know if it is the desync causing it, but I'm using an increased area of effect support gem pluss the Amplify passive point, and it still does not seem to hit a lot compared to other aoe spells.
"
However, to my mind there is one serious oversight. You cannot ground attack with it. You have to target and hit a primary target in order to deal splash damage. There are two reasons this sucks:

1) Makes you more sensitive to sync issues. If the server thinks the guy you're trying to hit is out of range, you flail uselessly, hitting nothing, not leeching or stunning, which is very dangerous.

2) In groups it is practically impossible to target single enemies to attack. That problem doesn't seem to be going away (despite the aura graphical simplifications), so melee splash supported single target skills will still feel much worse / more annoying to use than natively AoE abilities like cleave or leap slam.

Exactly this. Not being able to ground attack is so annoying. I switched to Frenzy + Melee Splash at around level 60 and just wanted to throw my self from a bridge. I tried to get used to it for a few levels now because it was a centerpiece of my build but the usability is just SO horrible that I'm giving up.

"
DLimited wrote:
GGG, can you look into the Ranger Frenzy with Melee Splash interaction? Half of the time I don't hit monster that I am literally standing inside of. I even have the +2 unarmed range node from duelist, but it is still unreliable. Lao I have 93% chance to hit, so it is definately not my accuracy.

This as well is killing me. I got Resolute Technique and it still takes like 10 attacks to kill a pack where each mob can only take 3 hits just because they are all desynced or whatever the fuck is going on there.
So, what order are all the boosts applied in?

I'm a level 52 Facebreaker right now. The gem is level 12, IIRC. When I equip it, my damage decreases by a significant amount. When is the "increased damage" applied and when is the "less damage" applied? The thing I'm worried about is that the increased damage % is being applied to my base unarmed damage, before the flat +phys bonus from jewellery is included. Because if that's the case, leveling it up is going to do basically nothing for my damage.

I get 15-30 flat phys from jewellery. Melee splash gives 33% increased, and 16% less. Facebreakers give 926% more. So it seems like without melee splash, my damage should look like:

n (whatever the base damage for unarmed is, i have no idea tbh) + 22.5 * 9.26

so let's call n, idk, 10. we'd have (10 + 22.5) * 9.26, right? That'd be ~300 damage

Now factor in the melee splash. The base damage (n) plus the flat damage (in this case, still 22.5) are added together, then multiplied by the increased 33% damage, then the entire thing is decreased by 16% before being increased by 926%, as far as I understand the system.

((10 + 22.5) * 1.33) / 1.16 * 9.26, right? Shouldn't that be like 345? I don't get why I'm still doing decreased damage; unless I misunderstand the formula it seems like I should be coming out ahead with a decently high leveled melee splash gem.

Please help me see where I'm going wrong :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info