Melee Splash

Update:

- Lv64 Templar based around Infernal Blow + Melee Splash
- 1h + Shield, Inner Focus, Eldritch Battery, All Templar and Witch AoE
- Infernal Blow 20q + Melee Splash 20q + Weapon Elemental Dmg 9q + Multistrike + Blood Mana
- 1.800 life, Infernal Blow 4.500 dps tooltip, 6.300 armor with Molten Shell, 82% all resists (Purity, Elemental Adaptation)
- I have Anger, Wrath, Hatred, Determination, Discipline and Purity Auras active.

>> My Infernal Blow has +80% AoE :-)))
>> Fellshrine Merciless: I blow up stuff pretty good. It's huge fun, I must say. Of course my AoE is really good because I made huge investments, both in Gems and Passives. BUT SURVIVABILITY sucks. As Devil said last page, you're forced to give up too many defensive\life passives in order to make Melee Splash effective.

AND if you compare to the farming speed and safety of a ranged character, the state of Melee is still really bad. :-/
Here since Closed Beta. Never found a Mirror. Still love PoE. :- )
Last edited by markus7 on Apr 24, 2013, 11:40:57 PM
"
kchow123 wrote:
...think about it, what can this gem do that Ground Slam or Sweep don't already do?

For starters, it can work with swords, daggers, claws, and one-handed axes, as well as maces and staves. Melee Splash works well with Double Strike and Whirling Blades.
Last edited by RogueMage on Apr 26, 2013, 1:40:45 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Yes it does not work with shield charge in the initial implementation. This si planned for the future.

Always nice to find out, when socketing the combination, in the middle of a fucking month race, that your entire planned build doesn't work. :P Melee skill + melee support, yet doesn't work. Intuitive! Sigh, trying to not be hateful; really, i love you guys, but this kind of thing is hella annoying! :P
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 96(Settlers GSF)
Last edited by unsane on May 1, 2013, 1:24:42 PM
Sooo I have a Glacial Hammer + Melee splash build, that is working extremely well.

All of the Increased AoE Radius / Damage passives work with this combo.

So, I bought the new unique Carcass Jack chestplate, which has 20% Increased Raidus = 8% Damage, and it is worded EXACTLY like the passives, but it doesn't up the damage of my Glacial Hammer at all. This seems like it is not working as it should.

When I equip the chestplate, my leap slam damage goes up, but glacial does not. This seems like it needs to be fixed.

Edit: Carcass Jack easy reference....

Last edited by PhreEkGarden on May 3, 2013, 6:27:45 PM
No reason to post the same stuff twice. It just clutters the place and makes following the discussion harder than it should be.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
No reason to post the same stuff twice. It just clutters the place and makes following the discussion harder than it should be.

Yeah, I was just coming here to try and delete my other post... but I don't see a way of doing that. Thanks for linking to the other one though
Melee splash is in the process of saving my shadow build and making this character what I wanted it to be.
Double Strike + Increased critical + Melee splash + life on hit gets me through most mob packs where I was previously experiencing chain desync trying to Whirling blades my way in and out.
With Hatred, at lvl 38, tooltips show Double strike at 478 dps, Dual strike (for single targets) at 964. I had to craft my Thresher claws to get the most of it.
I have around 20% crit chance (390% crit multiplier) -- still hanging onto Maligaro's Virtuosity, 30-40 life on hit added to 2% life leech and 4% mana leech.
When I have the time to cast those, I run Temporal chains (packs) and Critical weakness (single target).
And of course, Vaal pact.

Now this build is still pretty weak, currently struggling with 500HP and 200ES, but with a bit of luck (some evasion and freeze procs), I managed to avoid getting one-shot by Kole (in normal) and killing him in seconds.
I still died a lot, understanding the game mechanics and improving this build (3rd attempt at shadow).
With the proper gear, I aim towards CI/Ghost Reaver and ES/Armour for more sustainability.

Once I get CI, I'm looking forward to testing Blood Rage with this build.

Bottom line, this melee gem alone gives my character the ability to slash through packs of mobs easily despite the low defenses/HP attached to its class. Of course, you still have to be careful of ranged mobs and casters, taking them down first and using pots to dispel curses and elemental effects, which makes it much less boring than face-rolling marauders -- I actually play one such beast and like it too, I must confess.

Thanks to GGG for this awesome game and I wish everyone a lot of fun playing it.
This plus dominating blow is too much fun
S L O W E R
This support gem requires at least 40% increased aoe radius to be of any real use. This is an incredibly unfair disadvantage. Imo, double the base radius and change quality to add dmg instead. This would open up so many options for use of this support.

I humbly request GGG take another look at this support.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on May 9, 2013, 1:42:01 PM
I've posted about this before, but never in here. This gem needs a desperate change in order to compare evenly to other AoE options.

That change is that you can "whiff" on your strike and the AoE will still proc, currently this doesn't work on melee splash, but does on things like cleve. If this simply change was implemented then melee splash would have similar area covered to cleave (center of the circle would be your melee range in front of where you're swinging), it would be useful area, and by far most imporantly the RANGE of these melee skills would compete with cleve. Currently the highest range a melee splash skil can get is 8, the smallest range cleve has is 20 (and can go all the way to 45.4!). This alone makes melee splash a bad choice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info