Melee Splash

"
Dragon585 wrote:
At this point I just don't even know what else to say about it. All 4 of you that like this skill can have it. Sure you can get it to work. But look at all the resources it fucking takes. You should be able to throw a support gem on and be done with it. But not this one. You need to take inc radius nodes, use a inc radius gem, use inc radius gear, high quality gems blah blah blah. OR you could use 1 gemslot and get an aoe that performs better for cheaper. But w/e its your baby now.

This skill could have been HUGE for melee, but GGG seems to have no intention of putting melee on equal footing with ranged. Making a "game changing new melee support skill" that REQUIRES nodes from the templar and witch areas is a fucking slap in the face. Passives should make this support gem BETTER, not USABLE. You don't need ANY passives OR additional supports to make LMP or chain work. Those 2 gems are plug and play.

Am I losing my mind here? How is it ppl can't see this?

And you guys with the "i'm level 30 in a2 and i love this skill" posts. What are you comparing it to? Did you just decide to roll a melee b/c of these new gems? Have you even tried other aoes like cleave, ground slam, leap slam, or sweep? Or did you just toss this garbage support gem on and start killing things and shrug that it works fine.

I'm not gonna be like some and claim that the only relevant feedback comes from endgame map runners, but you guys are killing me. Read through these feedback posts supporting this gem. They give no information, no comparison, and some of them are just laughable.

Examples
Spoiler
"
Infernal blow/Dominating blow + melee splash = GG

case and point

"
CanHasPants wrote:
Just started using this on my level 19 1H IB Templar. Don't know what all of the QQ is about. Mind, I am in low level content, but that also means no inc aoe yet (only the Templar starting nodes
Having said that, the aoe is definitely UP

You don't know what all the QQ is about, yet you agree with what we are QQing about. EVERYONE IS QQING ABOUT RADIUS. And lets see... you took the 20% templar nodes so you already have more radius than most of us melee, and you STILL think the radius is underpowered! I guess you DO KNOW what we are qqing about.

"
deathmongoose wrote:
Melee is melee, stop complaining about range. Get into melee range for gods sake. GGG needs to buff melee survivability.

"
Dragon585 wrote:
"
deathmongoose wrote:
True I never played maps with melee before as my only maping character is an EK based Ranger. I'll do my best to lvl up my duelist asap to experience maps with melee myself.

It doesn't necessarily even need to be maps. Just join a group of LA rangers at merci docks and you will see for yourself.

"
deathmongoose wrote:
Oh I never ever play with other people. Solo only.

How can you spend 2 pages arguing with us about ranged vs melee and then post stuff like this

"
drakar8888 wrote:
I think the base aoe range is good as it is. People should be aggressively building towards increasing the aoe to maximize the gem's potential, it makes sense it starts off pretty bad.

It's a fucking support gem! Not a skill you build your fucking char around. Name another support gem that you need passives for. Now count how many ppl you know that use it. Why the fuck should melee have to "build towards increasing the gems potential" when ranged can slap
lmp and chain on and call it a day? You guys are forgetting... this isn't a skill gem, it is a support gem.

"
Fillmore wrote:

But the BEST thing about Melee Splash is that rather than causing desync, it REVEALS desync; so when you hit a mob and there is no splash on the mob right next to it, but there is on a mob on the other side of a wall and 1/3 map away you know something is up and can /oos.

Are you high? It reveals desync rather than causing it? How can you reveal desync without being out of sync? You can "reveal" it all you want, but desync is desync. If you have to /oos then something caused you to desync, and I promise you it wasn't caused by standing still.

Edit: sorry for those offended by my fucking language. I'm just pissed. Sorry.

I agree with this, the aoe range is laughable. I put inc aoe support, and got some passives (I had 30% increased aoe total), and it would still hit 2 or 3 mobs at the most, and they would have to be very close together for that to even happen. As of right now, this doesn't really help melee out at all... unless you want to make a dominating blow build....
IGN: NickCageAsGhostRider
first of all just cause you can put it on every single target skill gem doesn't mean it needs to work well with all of them. not every support out there that can be put a skill does, look at chain for instance some skills its very good with and others not really helping them out much. so be it, thats why we get to pick and choose our gems.

Now here is the funny part: for a while now ppl have been QQ about how some skills are not real melee cause you kill at range with them and we need some single target AOE. then GGG gives it to you and all i see is ppl QQ about how the other "none melee, melee skills" are better cause of the range on them. LMAO
Second day in a row on tests.
The gem just work properly with 20% quality + templar nodes, or with all the area nodes in templar+witch, which is a ridiculous tradeoff for a melee that need huge survival.

The most viable build is probably Glacial Hammer, looks like a small version of Freezing Pulse.

Tested it on a Duelist lvl83, solo maps. Must have:
- Templar area nodes
- Melee Splash 20% quality + Glacial Hammer 20% + WED + Melee Phys + Faster Attacks + Add Fire.

As someone stated already, LMP/GMP/Chain are plug and play support gems, while Melee Splash need to be max quality and waste many points in increase area nodes, losing a lot of survival.

That was my last 2 cents, melee role need some love..
"
Dragon585 wrote:
At this point I just don't even know what else to say about it. All 4 of you that like this skill can have it. Sure you can get it to work. But look at all the resources it fucking takes.

Requires absolutely 0% additional resources. IB already specs towards what Splash would want to, and shares many other ideosyncracies. To which you might reply, "that's great, but I don't want to use IB. I want to use it with Double Strike (or some other skill), which wants to spec on the opposite side of the tree (or some other reason). Am I supposed to spec all the way to the other side of the tree to make that one support gem work? Look at all the resources it takes!" That's kind of like saying Stun (support) is useless because it doesn't have synergy with Puncture, or Blind is useless because it does not share synergy with Unwavering Stance. That's the flipping point of a support gem, they won't fit into every build!

Gem is fine (besides needing a slight aoe buff), your expectations are broken. Get over it and do something productive with it. Or don't.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:

Gem is fine (besides needing a slight aoe buff), your expectations are broken. Get over it and do something productive with it. Or don't.

Gem cant be "fine" if has a "besides needing a slight aoe buff" on the same statement.

The only comparison with Melee Splash is LMP/GMP/Chain which dont need quality, neither any passive skill points.

So please, for those who are low level and mostly never played as a Melee in this game, dont come here say the gem is good and fill the forum with useless information.
"
Onehat wrote:
'm not sure what people were expecting, that melee splash would be super overpowered and become mandatory for EVERY skill?

Yeah cause LMP and chain not works as u described arent they ? They re 'niche' not mandatory at all. Anyway my last thought about this its not a good trade off for putting yourself basically all dmg in maps for a lame aoe u can clearly do much better with cleave,gs and such.

For last i was expecting lmp,chain for melee but no they have to give too little for melee cause they re overpowered as they are.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Requires absolutely 0% additional resources. IB already specs towards what Splash would want to, and shares many other ideosyncracies. To which you might reply, "that's great, but I don't want to use IB. I want to use it with Double Strike (or some other skill), which wants to spec on the opposite side of the tree (or some other reason). Am I supposed to spec all the way to the other side of the tree to make that one support gem work? Look at all the resources it takes!" That's kind of like saying Stun (support) is useless because it doesn't have synergy with Puncture, or Blind is useless because it does not share synergy with Unwavering Stance. That's the flipping point of a support gem, they won't fit into every build!

I don't get why you are going hard after him when I'm saying the exact same thing.

Your comparison is wrong. Splash isn't meant to be a CC like stun. Stun is introduced with the intention of being niche, something you don't need in many situations but can be good in some. With splash it should be compared to LMP/GMP. How much support does a ranged attack need going from single to using LMP/GMP? They need to make up the loss of damage, otherwise it's a complete gain over what they were doing before.

If splash functioned in a way where you only had to make up the damage loss, sweet. But we have the damage loss and it doesn't add much area. It works on skills that don't need it or ones that are already benefiting from IAOE.

Splash really can't be that OP, but if it's done correctly could add alot of build variety. \

I always see people coming from your point of view as trying to limit choices and variety. The game doesn't need more niche shit, go look at the uniques, we need shit that is more plug and play.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
GGG, can you look into the Ranger Frenzy with Melee Splash interaction? Half of the time I don't hit monster that I am literally standing inside of. I even have the +2 unarmed range node from duelist, but it is still unreliable. Lao I have 93% chance to hit, so it is definately not my accuracy.
IGN Iiyoru (Ambush League)
"
DLimited wrote:
GGG, can you look into the Ranger Frenzy with Melee Splash interaction? Half of the time I don't hit monster that I am literally standing inside of. I even have the +2 unarmed range node from duelist, but it is still unreliable. Lao I have 93% chance to hit, so it is definately not my accuracy.

That's desync. It's a huge fucking problem for single target melee characters (which you still are, since you have to hit your primary target in order to get the splash). In fact desync issues are one of the biggest disadvantages of melee as compared to ranged / AoE.

Cleave lives in the middle ground, with some inc AoE and the fact that you don't need to hit a primary target to cleave, it isn't as sensitive do desync. Ground slam is even less sensitive to desync, and of course the pure ranged AoE like lighting arrow and freezing pulse is not at all sensitive to desync.

They badly need to allow the splash effect to go off regardless of whether you hit a target with the primary swing. Either that or they need to fix their netcode, but one of these is clearly easier to do than the other.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 9, 2013, 5:15:17 PM
I have 0% increased AoE radius and I think the AoE is fine. It doesn't hit everything on the screen, but it does hit all enemies within melee range, which makes sense for a melee support, and saves a lot of clicking.

I have now switched from Cyclone to Infernal Blow + Melee Splash because I find it to be more effective and more fun.
Last edited by ptt_frmr on Apr 9, 2013, 5:45:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info