Path of Exile 3.16 Balance - Part 3 - Auras, Curses and Elemental Damage Over Time

I'm so happy about the changes and let me just highlight the fact that

I absolutely adore how you guys are sharing this with the community prior to launch date.

Exactly the same way your entire balance team shares 2 brain cells altogether.

Keep on sharing.
Divine Ire is "already one of the highest Ignite damage skills", really?

Divine Ire
Lightning, Spell, AoE, Channelling, Physical
Level: 1–20
Cost: 3–5 Mana
Cast Time: 0.22 sec
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%
Effectiveness of Added Damage: 30%
Requires Level 28
Channelling draws in energy around you to repeatedly build up stages, damaging a number of nearby enemies when you do so. Release to unleash a powerful burst of energy in a beam in front of you.
Deals (17–140) to (25–210) Physical Damage
50% of Physical Damage Converted to Lightning Damage
Damages 5 nearby Enemies when you gain Stages
Beam deals 70% more Damage with Ailments per Stage after the first
50% less Damage while Channelling
Beam deals 100% more Damage with Hits per Stage after the first
40% chance to gain an additional Stage when Hitting a Normal or Magic Enemy
Gains an additional Stage when Hitting a Rare or Unique Enemy

Divine Ire is lightning Skill!!!

"Divine Ire now has “Beam deals 30% more Damage with Ailments per Stage after the first” (previously 70%). Because of base Ignite damage changes, Ignite with the skill is now 7.1% higher at 20 Stages. It received a harsher damage loss because it still works very well with Elemental Overload, and was already one of the highest Ignite damage skills."

So what does this mean?
"
Ethloilla wrote:

Divine Ire
Requires Level 28
Channelling draws in energy around you to repeatedly build up stages, damaging a number of nearby enemies when you do so. Release to unleash a powerful burst of energy in a beam in front of you.

"Divine Ire now has “Beam deals 30% more Damage with Ailments per Stage after the first” (previously 70%). Because of base Ignite damage changes, Ignite with the skill is now 7.1% higher at 20 Stages. It received a harsher damage loss because it still works very well with Elemental Overload, and was already one of the highest Ignite damage skills."

So what does this mean?

You do understand there's a unique ring called stormfire that let's lightning damage ignite.

I have a buddy who almost solely plays divine ire ignite in hc and the clear/dps is absurd.
Divine ire is one of the best ignite skills.
"
Ethloilla wrote:

Divine Ire
Requires Level 28

So what does this mean?

It means GGG largely doesn't know how to stay within theme.
The math for Divine Ire coupled with damage conversions pretty much made it one of the best DoT status inflicters in the game.

For example they wanted to make self cast curses a thing again the previous league. So what did they do?

Changed multiple curses into "marks" specifically so you couldn't use blasphemy support with them.

Then added impending doom support which never really took off for two reasons a. damage was meh, b. there was no way to loop the effect of impending doom without recast.

End result? Definitively weaker curse archetype as about a third of the curses could no longer be "aura'ed" and a gimmicky caster type that didn't even take off in the league it was made for.

Scourge's equivalent?
Let's change a couple auras with some minor buffs (usually bumping their costs back into the 50% range).

Then GUT the abilities to stack auras, which is LITERALLY the only advantage the archetype has left (i.e. the ability to stack as MANY auras as you can with the life/mana/gearing you have).

Might as well change auras into Call of Duty perks since they only want you to have an arbitrarily low number at any given time.

Makes me wish they didn't patch Jousis' "anti support support build" within 72 hours of him revealing a build that literally rendered any players in range completely impotent.
Why do skills that do damage over time continue to get nerfed?

Are not DOT skills supposed to fun and end game viable?

Are all builds supposed to have to hit-damage in order to be end game viable?

Why do the skills that working in different and interesting ways continue to get gutted and homogenized to work just like every other skill?

To me GGG, you are killing the game.

"
ArtNoir wrote:

I personally do. I enjoy it when gamers suffer
Also, nobody cares for standard, you see. You're the 1% :)

Fascinating case study in high functioning sociopathy.

I don't think social media has been a good thing for Western Civilization. I don't think it has been a good thing at all.

I feel bad for people like this. To hold that much hatred, against someone they've never met - or even meaningfully interacted with - is just mind-blowing.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on Oct 9, 2021, 9:38:05 PM
"
Galtrovan wrote:
Why do skills that do damage over time continue to get nerfed?

Are not DOT skills supposed to fun and end game viable?

Are all builds supposed to have to hit-damage in order to be end game viable?

Why do the skills that working in different and interesting ways continue to get gutted and homogenized to work just like every other skill?

To me GGG, you are killing the game.

Exactly! at least one dot build has to be end game content viable, but even prior to this nerf these builds could barely scratch 1M dps with min maxed gear. GGG, what the hell is the point of introducing uber content that is time based and thus a dps check, when you have all of these builds that cannot even complete easier version of this content? Is this content designed around new exploits you inadvertently will introduce with 3.16 just like you usually do (I am not saying that this is due to lack of testing, that is just the nature of coding, you cannot test for all permutations). Look at poe.ninja, how many dot builds do you see with over 1M dps? How many people actually play these builds? You killed dot builds in 3.15 and now you are just kicking lifeless skills with additional nerfs. Please explain your logic behind these nerfs, because they are nerfs since you can only get to same power as 3.15 with damn near perfect gear. So much for transparency, when you deceitfully pass these as buffs.
"
"
You'll need to choose what auras to run and won't be an universal bandaid to any build.
Keep crying or wait for patch notes and try to adapt to those balance changes.

It's like knocking on the gates of heaven. Hear us GGG you're hurting us. If you don't write and inform, nothing will change.

Poe is mainly designed for single players. Few leagues support corectly multiplayer.... team, and party sharing. For example old alva, syndycate typically for one player, only party leader collects prfit. So playing with random players in a party is tough usually use the party and then kick the butt. Because the mechanics are so designed mainly for solo player.
90%? Poe players play solo (90% = these are just my conclusions, assumptions).

But there is a group of people playing as a team, and they are just kicked.

---
It's already hard for find good aurabots to party, usually most of them are weak aurabots and weak cursebots. Because few players want to play as a support (These are very expensive builds). Now find two for every party. Anyway, such weak aurabots will be suitable for T1 and then what? What about the T16-T18?

Edit:
I refer to what I wrote earlier.
"
This is the complete incompetence of GGG, Like children playing with bombs. And time and respect for players is irrelevant.

GGG has a plan ... have own game vision of the game, It is not able to see every player or please every player. But I hope they will take into account the supports more and not destroy them. What can I write more ...

GGG doesn't have a plan. They have a blindfold and a shotgun to nerf everything that seems to be a problem on the surface of their top ladders, meanwhile, while they do kill absolutely OP bs, they also obliterate barely viable builds in the process. Developers with a "plan" don't make beginner game design mistakes like this. Unless it's a plan to also nerf their active player numbers alongside the game itself. If they have a vision, why introduce harvest in the first place as a mechanic? You basically give players the polar opposite of what you envision, and your reply to that is "oopsie doopsie that's just a test you guys tee-hee". I guess they never had that "vision" prior to harvest.

"
"
ArtNoir wrote:

I personally do. I enjoy it when gamers suffer
Also, nobody cares for standard, you see. You're the 1% :)

Fascinating case study in high functioning sociopathy.

I don't think social media has been a good thing for Western Civilization. I don't think it has been a good thing at all.

I feel bad for people like this. To hold that much hatred, against someone they've never met - or even meaningfully interacted with - is just mind-blowing.

As i mentioned to friends and they all agree. Theses types of people are paid by blizzard to say yay continue nerfing (destroying the multi-years reputation poe hardly get) and then blizzard is implemented in their vision (internally, like industrial war). And they act. There is huge things going on by the fact things are not going legacy and for them ruining players effort on multi-league investments. People felt betrayed.

Also rip 20x invisble buffs and all aura mtx me and all theses people bought. Its like a steal, there was again,like harvest, a lot more simple and great options to do than that. Litteraly going backwards, nobody wanns get support skills like D2 have.. already deal with 3-4 vaal aura and 2-3 actives gems, far than enought.
STOP NERFING AURA
I understand the need or want to destroy aura stackers or reduce party play efficiency.
But you basicly just killed maybe half or more of the summoner builds out there.
Why do so many other builds have to suffer because of your changes to a problem you percieve to be bad?
You basicly even admitted it in your own post.
We'll see how elemental conversion minion builds will play out.
What?
You cant possibly deduce the changes or mechanics these builds used?
You just admitted you know about the problem you just made.
You know damn well these builds are dead and what else do we get for minions?
A reaper thats useless and bad in evry single form.
We already had to resort towards elemental conversion in order to play a summoner correctly.
Now what choice is there?
I recall a somewhat similair post where the speculation of oh we'll see how this goes went.
When you reworked flask changes.
Clearly you havent learned alot from that debacle.

GGG: We want to nerf aura stackers
Community: Ok thats cool i guess.
GGG: But actually nah we'll delete summoners too.
Community: But wasnt this about aura stackers?
GGG: Meh, shrug guess well see how this plays out.

Amazing logic guys keep it up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info