3.15 Boneshatter Theorycraft on how to survive the selfdamage

Hi there. Boneshatter looked interesting so I decided to mess around with it.

There were a couple of edits to this initially rather long post in part due to a bug (as of writing not patched yet) that makes the trauma damage not count as a hit. Long story short, with enough physical damage mitigation, unbreakable can fully mitigate virtually any amount of physical hit damage and therefore keep you alive. This was tested and works with other sources of self damage, and therefore should work once the current bug gets patched.

This post will be updated then.
Last edited by EmperorIzaro on Jul 23, 2021, 11:28:06 PM
Last bumped on Aug 4, 2021, 1:46:31 PM
For what I can tell after my own theorycraftings:

- Phys damage reduction from charges and armor stack. Mitigating all with armour won't ever happen, but the last % are quite easy to reach. With your example, a 11k armour mitigates 10% of a 10k hit.

- The 10th enrudange charge is easily obtainable on boots either from corruption (cheapest) or warlord mod (still affordable).

- For what I can read, Trauma procs once per attack, not once per use, so it should work fine with multistrike.

- Anomalous Enduring Cry is enough to hit 50% buff effect combined with the Natural Authority cluster. However it requires quite some investment in duration/cooldown recovery to maintain 100% buff uptime, not sure it's worth it, especially now that second wind doesn't reduce cooldown.

I opted for 10 charges with regular EC (no increased buff effect) and Gruthkul, so 75% flat mitigation. around 4.2 attacks per second, no increased duration, so around 25 trauma at most ie 5k damage. A 10k armour offers 16% additional mitigation, so that makes it up to 90%.
Edit: Not relevant anymore.
Last edited by Keyen on Jul 24, 2021, 1:22:21 AM
Yeah, noticed the oversight on nebuloch. Ouch. And really it was just some messing around anyway, which apparently doesn't work since trauma damage isn't a hit.
Ah shit. If it's true, the skill is indead for the memes :/
Supposedly it not being a hit is a bug though, so if you did want to play it, just wait until it gets hotfixed I guess

On a sidenote, had a look at your PoB, and the dps looks notably lower?

Last edited by EmperorIzaro on Jul 23, 2021, 10:07:03 PM
"
EmperorIzaro wrote:

On a sidenote, had a look at your PoB, and the dps looks notably lower?

wdym?

The pob has 2,25M dps on it, and 2.35M dps including the gem lvl 21. The divergent Boneshatter looks extremely juicy as well, with +1% attack speed per trauma.
Last edited by Keyen on Jul 23, 2021, 10:21:04 PM
First: yep that alt quality seems absolutely amazing.

And concerning the other comment, I may have the wrong PoB but... your dps flasks reads "604% more damage" which just... doesn't seem right?

Also it's very relevant to factor in that repeats from multistrike do not generate more stacks.

At your current attack rate of 7.74 for a skill with a 85% base attack speed multiplier, and 45% increased skill effect duration, you would get:

7.74 x 1.45 x 6 x 4 % more damage total, so 269% (rounded down to the nearest multiple of 4, so just 268%) - however, only every third hit actually contributes, reducing your actual more multiplier down to a third of this, to only 88%.

With that slotted onto the flask and the skill swapped from earthshatter to level 15 vigilant strike (unless I'm wrong it has identical modifiers to level 20 boneshatter), you end up with about 1.2 mil, which is about on par with what my take manages to get.

Sorry for not being clear, I meant "lower than implied". Is there something I'm missing?

Regardless though your ehp ends up much better than on my end. Going to look into crab barriers myself I guess.

Edit: wait, that ehp pool is with guard skill up. So overall still roughly similar.
Last edited by EmperorIzaro on Jul 23, 2021, 11:10:58 PM
Multistrike does not work with Boneshatter. Trauma is only gained on the first hit. You end up losing out on stacks by using multistrike.

Frankly I'm at a loss as to how to stack trauma at all, let alone survive the damage. In acts I can barely maintain 3 stacks.
I'm using earthshatter as the base skill, which has 125% damage with 80% attack speed. Meaning that to convert it into Boneshatter which has 250% damage with 80% attack speed, I need to put a 100% more damage. Earthshatter is by far the easiest skill to convert into Boneshatter, as it has conveniently the same attack speed and exactly half the base damage.

Then, you have the bonus from trauma, and with 63 stacks, you get 252% more damage. To get the correct damage on earthshatter, you need to do 2*3.52 = 7.04 times the amount of earthshatter, or 604% more damage. Hence the amount on the flask.

But got it for multistrike, I will edit it out. Major loss :(

Edit: Oh, they buffed it to 85%. Ok, it does change things.
Last edited by Keyen on Jul 23, 2021, 11:37:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info