3.13 Bladeblast Chieftain. GG HC build. high dmg/clear/surv. Blasting awakener! Strong as ever!

"
arandan wrote:
Once you get Awakened Spell Cascade you should cast Bladefall as soon as you have Unleash stacks to do so - that's why it is such a huge quality of life upgrade for this build.
Sometimes you'll get to 3 stacks w/o noticing it, because you had to dodge something for example, but it's not something you should be actively tracking.

In regards to that last point - that along with Ngamahu (gain 100% phys as extra fire for 4 sec every 10 sec) is why you'll see large variance in how fast certain things die.

Things that you should be aware of when playing this build are:
1) Keep arcane surge up (another minus to the diadem version here sadly)

2) Make sure you are not at max range if you don't have to, so you have actual uptime on fire exposure from Wave of Conviction

3) Cast Blade Blast 5 times before end game bosses in order to stack Inspiration to 5. Divergent version helps here as it further reduces the mana cost. You should also use transition phases to either keep that up, or re-stack it.

Let me also mention that it is possible to play the normal version of this build without a mana flask. It requires a level 8-10 Clarity, keeping Arcane Surge up on bosses (Divergent version helps, as it is 2 secs longer), and 2 rings with -mana cost to non-channelling skills.
My Blade Blast costs 10 mana, Bladefall 24, Enduring Cry 2, Flame Dash 16 (this is where you want a level 21 gem, since level 20 would cost 14 mana to use, which would not proc Arcane Surge).

With 80 unreserved mana I have infinite sustain. No flasks, no boot enchant.

Thanks! That is good to know about the mana. I was overly focused on the build guide which said "So mana substain is not 100% possible". It is probably far beyond my skill level though to sustain Arcane Surge while bossing.

I do have arcane surge constantly while mapping at least. But not on bosses with the diadem build as you mentioned.

I have no complaints though with the diadem version. I am killing things I never killed before on any other build and I rarely die (outside of the memory game).

I just redid a Maven fight removing Intensity for Awakened AOE and lowering Awakened Spell Cascade down to level 1. Unfortunately it felt like it took me almost ten times longer to get the Maven's health down than the first time I tried when I had the other set up. As you mentioned there were likely many other variables at play here.

As for your first answer, I think I may have worded my question poorly as your answer did not match what I thought I asked. I am not asking when to cast BF. I am asking how long should I wait after casting BF to cast BB to maximize the effect. I have read online conflicting opinions where one person will state to cast BB immediately after BF cast time has expired and others recommending a pause to allow the blades to hit the ground before casting BB.
Last edited by AndyLovesHisBge on Feb 23, 2021, 4:11:05 PM
I play this like I would play a miner - I spam Blade Blast after each Bladefall. That way I will always detonate all the Lingering Blades that are on the ground.

I don't know how the mana cost of skills and/or sustain works on the diadem version, but if mana allows it, you should be casting Blade Blast at least 2+times after each Bladefall.

If you are 1 tapping Blade Blast in sequence with Bladefall you are 100% losing damage, doesn't matter if you wait for blades to hit the ground (ergo you lose dps by waiting), or hit it just once and fail to detonate some blades.
"
arandan wrote:
I play this like I would play a miner - I spam Blade Blast after each Bladefall. That way I will always detonate all the Lingering Blades that are on the ground.

I don't know how the mana cost of skills and/or sustain works on the diadem version, but if mana allows it, you should be casting Blade Blast at least 2+times after each Bladefall.

If you are 1 tapping Blade Blast in sequence with Bladefall you are 100% losing damage, doesn't matter if you wait for blades to hit the ground (ergo you lose dps by waiting), or hit it just once and fail to detonate some blades.

Awesome. I will give this play style a try. I have been a doing a 1 to 1 the entire time.

There is no mana sustain in the diadem version, it is Eldritch Battery so I can spam at will with no issues.
I was able to drop mana flask by allocating mana+life nods under MoM + boots enchant. I still have to find -10 to mana cost on rings so for now I have only one ring with -6 but it is still enough.

I know it is not optimal to waste 4 points but it still gives some life and it is a huge quality of life for almost no cost.

Also, cinderswallow helps to leech mana so I suggest getting it instead of mana flask.

Hope it will help others.

PS
I am using a modified version of the tree similar to diadem vers with intuitive leap and thread of hope witch also adds mana regen.
Last edited by PvNKruger on Feb 24, 2021, 2:29:49 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a barely unexperimented player with only 250 hours on that endless game.
For now, I mostly played HC duelist builds based on bleeding or impaled.
After the third chaos-dammaged-oneshot of this league, I wanted to try something new!

So I tried to go for a Bladefall-Bladeblast Chieftain as presented by Zizaran ( https://pastebin.com/wuVq9NJj ) and it is more intellectual that maxing the pDPS as I usually do!

My main question is about the weapons for the leveling.
I understood that at high level I must go for a "trigger" scepter with 3 skills among wave of conviction, cold snap, tempest shield, flammability.
For the leveling, it is recommended in that guide to take +1 level of all physical spell gem wands.
So my questions are :
- Are wands better than scepter?
- With avatar of fire and Ngamahu i'm a little bit lost on what stat is the best to augment dammages ... must I take weapon with a high pDPS or must I go for % increased spell/fire dammage or add X to X fire dammages?

And an other question is that with Heralds of ashes and purity and skitterbot, mana is a little bit hard to manage... Is clarity worth for this build?

Thank for answers!

"
Cohaveth wrote:

- Are wands better than scepter?

Whatever has better stats is better, altho for end game in hardcore you'll want to stick to sceptre, as it allows you to use Vigilant Strike.

"
Cohaveth wrote:

- With avatar of fire and Ngamahu i'm a little bit lost on what stat is the best to augment dammages ... must I take weapon with a high pDPS or must I go for % increased spell/fire dammage or add X to X fire dammages?

The only physical damage you're scaling is that of the gems, which is why you want to increase their level past 20.
Both Avatar of Fire and Ngamahu convert 100% of the gems' flat physical damage to fire and then you scale that further with increased fire/spell damage modifiers, as well as physical as extra fire.
"
Cohaveth wrote:

And an other question is that with Heralds of ashes and purity and skitterbot, mana is a little bit hard to manage... Is clarity worth for this build?

Don't level with skitterbots, you don't have a large enough mana pool to sustain 3 auras at the moment.
Thanks for the answers!

So the thing that I want on my weapons are (from better to worst) :
- + 1 spells
- % increased Spell Damage
- % increased Fire Damage
- % increased Physical Damage
( and Adds # to # Physical Damage and Adds # to # Fire Damage = we don't care here)

Why and how do you use vigilant strike?
It look rather slow and you have to go close to the mob to use it so it seems dangerous.
"
Cohaveth wrote:

Why and how do you use vigilant strike?
It look rather slow and you have to go close to the mob to use it so it seems dangerous.

I personally don't, but hardcore players want every layer of defence available to them, and fortify is the single strongest defensive mechanic in the game.

There are 2 ways you can incorporate it into this build:

1) use Vigilant Strike + Ancestral Call support and The Vigil (https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Vigil) jewel on your tree (as it buffs its duration to 30+seconds) - the gem has a large range built in, so you don't have to physically hit anything, just use it when you're close to some weak mobs to proc/refresh fortify.

2) use Shield Charge for movement. The downside is that you have to give up at least 2 more gem slots, as Shield Charge has to be linked to both Faster Attacks and Fortify and you also want to incorporate Flame Dash as a gap closer (travelling up terrain/ past rivers etc).

Shield Charge is also a very tricky travel skill to use, but give it a try and see how it feels.
"

Clarity + 2 heralds for leveling.

Clarity solves a lot of issues early on. You can mash fall while running and have 0 downtime.
I'm playing a similar build in SSF, based on Zizaran's guide, but it's very close to this one as far as I can tell.
I'm in T16 and it's going pretty badly: it usually takes 15-20 minutes per map and I can die a few times in a single map if I'm unlucky with mods. Bigger bosses give me trouble with mana as well.
Can you suggest any improvements? Especially ideas on what and how I should craft - I have some resources, but I have a hard time deciding what I actually want/need/can make. I've noticed crafting tips in the OP, but maybe there's something more specific to my case.

PoB link
Tree link
Gear:
Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info