[3.15]Archmage Ball Lightning Hierophant, will it work in Expedition?

Yall know this exist right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hlylu1xZGs7WY8SD4bJdDoEy-9HQH68zqoA-n0U5TmU/edit#gid=272609148

Sadly i dont know how to add the right data to it
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298833 - Mods doing what mods do best
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/how-i-became-a-password-cracker/3/ Cause i bet if everyone did waht they say inhere or god forbid you required a 8 char minimum password less accounts would be comprised
"
mcwaffle wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hlylu1xZGs7WY8SD4bJdDoEy-9HQH68zqoA-n0U5TmU/edit#gid=272609148

Yes, but it's also not accurate.

Just look at it and try to think about what it's giving you in that supposed "Total Real DPS" figure, and then what's missing.

It's giving you one single BL possible DPS, based on the in-game tooltip DPS number.

Is it taking cast rate into consideration when you add spell echo and greater spell echo? No.

Is it taking the compounding +35% more damage and +50% more AoE per echo into consideration when you use Pledge of Hands? No.

Is it taking shock and different shock levels into consideration? No.

Is it taking white trash map mobs resists vs map boss vs shaper vs sirus resists into consideration? No.

Is it taking how much mana you've RECENTLY spent when on full mana vs how much you might have spent went not on full mana... or when you've initially cast vs chain/machine-gun casting? No.

Does it know how much mana Arcane Cloak will consume each use to determine how much flat lightning to add? No.

Is it taking 1, 2, 3, or stage 4 of Sigil of Power into consideration? No.

What if you're Inquisitor and get more damage when you put an ailment on an enemy? Is that accounted for? No.

Does it take your curses, debuffs, or penetration into negative resistance into consideration? No.

Does it take the mob possibly being on consecrated ground (+100% more critical strike chance) into consideration? NO.

Does it take ascendancy's into consideration, like for instance, if you have Conviction of Power then as long as you have more than 1 power charge you get an additional 5% penetration? No.

I could probably go on, but I've more than made the point.

Real DPS is way more challenging to figure out than that calculator makes it out to be.

I may try to create one, but it's a hell of a project and will take I don't know how much time wracking my brain on trying to code conditional formulas with all the variables involved in this crap. Don't know if I want to waste my time on that as RL is pretty busy right now.
"
SkylerOG wrote:

There's a work-around to this.

Replace one of your damage gems on PoH with Unleash/Awakened Unleash, and then if you simply hold down your movement key and just tap your BL cast key, it will SKIP the 3 spell echos, cast your 1st BL and the 3 Unleash BL's, and completely bypass any animation lock.

You can literally move unabated and seamlessly cast without stopping more than a super tiny fraction of a moment.

I personally have a Sire of Shards in my weapon swap with BL + Archmage + GMP + Awakened Unleash + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Awakened Lightning Pen for map clearing.

And then I swap back to my PoH which has BL + Archmage + Slower Proj + Awakened Spell Echo + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Awakened Lightning Pen for when I'm bossing.

By the way, I don't use Elemental Focus because our BL's can easily shock everything, including big bosses. White trash mobs get shocked upwards of level 40-50 shock, and bosses lvl 15-25 shock. And, since we're using Conductivity + Wave of Conviction to debuff lightning resist, Lightning Pen is a great alternative since it can go into negative resistance.

I highly recommend this setup.

I think I am going to switch to crit today. I have a diamond flask and can afford bottled faith. I will switch out ele focus and go lightning pen instead as well. I do have a question though about crit and ball lightning.

When is crit calculated? For instance is one entire cast (all four balls) rolled for a single crit roll? Is it each individual ball? Is it each individual ball's strike? I am having trouble telling at all and it concerns me how inconsistent criting would be depending on each case.

"
SkylerOG wrote:
"
mcwaffle wrote:

Just look at it and try to think about what it's giving you in that supposed "Total Real DPS" figure, and then what's missing.

It's giving you one single BL possible DPS, based on the in-game tooltip DPS number.

Is it taking cast rate into consideration when you add spell echo and greater spell echo? No.

Is it taking the compounding +35% more damage and +50% more AoE per echo into consideration when you use Pledge of Hands? No.

Is it taking white trash map mobs resists vs map boss vs shaper vs sirus resists into consideration? No.

Is it taking how much mana you've RECENTLY spent when on full mana vs how much you might have spent went not on full mana... or when you've initially cast vs chain/machine-gun casting? No.

Does it know how much mana Arcane Cloak will consume each use to determine how much flat lightning to add? No.

What if you're Inquisitor and get more damage when you put an ailment on an enemy? Is that accounted for? No.

Does it take your curses, debuffs, or penetration into negative resistance into consideration? No.

Does it take the mob possibly being on consecrated ground (+100% more critical strike chance) into consideration? NO.

Does it take ascendancy's into consideration, like for instance, if you have Conviction of Power then as long as you have more than 1 power charge you get an additional 5% penetration? No.

Real DPS is way more challenging to figure out than that calculator makes it out to be.

I may try to create one, but it's a hell of a project and will take I don't know how much time wracking my brain on trying to code conditional formulas with all the variables involved in this crap. Don't know if I want to waste my time on that as RL is pretty busy right now.

Dont seem too busy if you can write up the a big post to discredit a tool for things it does not claim to do.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298833 - Mods doing what mods do best
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/how-i-became-a-password-cracker/3/ Cause i bet if everyone did waht they say inhere or god forbid you required a 8 char minimum password less accounts would be comprised
"
XZlayeD wrote:
SkylerOG, what area would you then recommend people go for? I see your numbers being much more accurate, and with that I'd love to recommend you looking into pinpoint, as it appears to be incredibly powerful with the apex mode gem, effectively making you cast at full intensity everytime you want to basically.
If you add a "50% reduced Area of Effect" edit to any item on the build, it reduces the radius by 4. So this corrects the 22 vs 18 base BL radius error.

Then, because PoB arbitrarily adds 50% increased radius to every BL on condition of Greater Spell Echo, and because the 1st BL we always launch doesn't actually have that GSE benefit, the radius shown in PoB has ANOTHER 50% radius too much.

As a result, combine those and edit Pledge of Hands and simply add a line that says, "100% reduced Area of Effect". And this will be the correct AoE radius for the 1st BL in the 4 BL cast cycle (with spell echo and greater spell echo).

However, BL's #2-#4 each have +50% compounding AoE (which equates to about +4 radius per successive BL).

So for example: If you figure out that BL #1 has a radius of 28, it'll probably get around 4 max hits/lightning strikes per second. But BL #2 will have 32 radius and hit the 6.67 hits/s cap. BL #3 will have ~36 radius and BL #4 will have ~40 radius, so of course they too will hit the 6.67 hits/s cap quite easily. But then we go back to the beginning of the cycle and BL #1 with it's 28 radius will launch again and only get 4 hits again... and the cycle will continually repeat like that.

But, if you want all 4 BL's to reach the 6.67 hits/s cap, then you need to edit some item and take 100% AoE off somewhere. And then the radius number displayed will be the correct radius of BL #1. And it needs to be no less than 31.6 for it to possibly hit that cap.

"
Edit: skylarOG I noticed you have surpreme ego while having several auras, how exactly does that work?
So the only real Aura that was being accounted for was Wrath. Clarity at level 1 wasn't giving any benefit from the gem. HOWEVER, it was still proccing the increased mana recovery rate from Watcher's Eye, which is why I still had it there.

That said, it's moot. I've updated my PoB and removed Supreme Ego and went back to the crit build. Much more DPS.

Updated PoB: https://pastebin.com/gQSVGSBj

I also decided to just remove the -spell damage I had added to Pledge of Hands because it's a pain in the ass to figure out how much to do. As mentioned in other posts, PoB takes the spell echo & greater spell echo +35%, +70%, and +105% (so total of +210%) more spell damage, and simply divides it by 4 and gives +52% more damage to each BL. While this works in theory for this particular build that does a 4 BL cast cycle, it's not entirely accurate because it doesn't take BL radius or cast rate or the fact that what if you didn't have spell echo support and only cast 3 BL's instead of 4? Or if you have Unleash support on your setup, which could be 3-5 more BL's cast that don't have that +52% more spell damage.

I mean imagine how inaccurate that would be if you're casting 7 BL's due to Unleash + echos, and all 7 have a +52% more mod on them (+364% more dmg combined), when really only the 3 echo's have a combined +210% more damage.

So screw it. I'm just going to leave it as is so at least my PoB's can look consistent vs other people's PoB's and I don't have to keep answering why my Average Hit has lower damage shown than someone elses.

If someone wants to figure out their true DPS, then they can look through my posts and figure it out. I've got all the math here, they just have to plug in their numbers and work it out themselves... until a real calculator is made, I guess.

"
Another edit: SkylarOG, in your setup you use hextouch to curse with sniper's mark, but that curse cannot be applied with hextouch, so the setup itself doesn't seem to work? I can see how getting more than 1 curse on target, but if you have to apply them in different ways it starts becoming cumbersome?

I can see getting a second curse and then having conductivity on hit could be a great boon, and then selfcast sniper's mark, however setting these things on a cwdt setup doesn't seem to work for these purposes. I'd rather setup an arcanist brand with sniper's mark alongside wave of conviction. if one doesn't have a curse ring, and happen to have a second curse available you could even have conductivity in there.
So here's the deal on curses for me...

Map mobs die instantly to this char without me even using Pledge of Hands (I use Sire of Shards with GMP & Unleash from weapon swap while mapping), even on juiced up maps with 8+ mods and using scarabs, etc. etc. So I don't care about CWDT + Hextouch applying curses on trash mobs. Except in cases where packs of ranged mobs or porcupines do some nasty damage, then enfeeble of course helps tremendously.

The Conductivity on hit on the ring is nice AND necessary because it procs the small passives on the Cursed Concoction wheel that gives +2% mana recovery on killing every cursed enemy, as well as +30% increased mana regen when you simply hit a cursed enemy.

If you don't have that immediate curse on hit on all mobs, then there's no reason to have the cursed concoction wheel. But without that setup, you're missing out on boatloads of very needed mana recovery and mana regen, not to mention a nice amount of DPS from all the +mana pool and +curse effect. Plus the curse strip on using a mana flask is really nice, too.

After that, it's really about bosses. And because I'm back to crit build, I've switched out Sniper's Mark for Assassins Mark.

And I know that Hextouch doesn't apply the Marks. But it's a single target super fast casting spell, and it now does 100% effect on bosses no matter the boss level. So I know it's linked to Hextouch, but that's only because that's my only open socket. And I really only use AM on bosses (self-cast) because it adds a ton of crit and DPS (~28% more damage) against them.

I don't need AM for power charge generation. That is what Conviction of Power and Holy Flame Totem are for.
Last edited by SkylerOG on Sep 28, 2020, 11:39:13 AM
"
Cruxation wrote:
"
SkylerOG wrote:

There's a work-around to this.

Replace one of your damage gems on PoH with Unleash/Awakened Unleash, and then if you simply hold down your movement key and just tap your BL cast key, it will SKIP the 3 spell echos, cast your 1st BL and the 3 Unleash BL's, and completely bypass any animation lock.

You can literally move unabated and seamlessly cast without stopping more than a super tiny fraction of a moment.

I personally have a Sire of Shards in my weapon swap with BL + Archmage + GMP + Awakened Unleash + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Awakened Lightning Pen for map clearing.

And then I swap back to my PoH which has BL + Archmage + Slower Proj + Awakened Spell Echo + Awakened Controlled Destruction + Awakened Lightning Pen for when I'm bossing.

By the way, I don't use Elemental Focus because our BL's can easily shock everything, including big bosses. White trash mobs get shocked upwards of level 40-50 shock, and bosses lvl 15-25 shock. And, since we're using Conductivity + Wave of Conviction to debuff lightning resist, Lightning Pen is a great alternative since it can go into negative resistance.

I highly recommend this setup.

I think I am going to switch to crit today. I have a diamond flask and can afford bottled faith. I will switch out ele focus and go lightning pen instead as well. I do have a question though about crit and ball lightning.

When is crit calculated? For instance is one entire cast (all four balls) rolled for a single crit roll? Is it each individual ball? Is it each individual ball's strike? I am having trouble telling at all and it concerns me how inconsistent criting would be depending on each case.
I'm assuming crit is calculated on every single lightning strike.

Logic says that's the case, at least. There's nothing anywhere that says BL lightning strikes are grouped/compiled together and not all independent of each other.

Effective crit chance in PoB is merely an "average" chance. You will undoubtedly have good luck and bad luck in between. But for the most part, that average is pretty accurate.
"
mcwaffle wrote:
"
SkylerOG wrote:
"
mcwaffle wrote:

Dont seem too busy if you can write up the a big post to discredit a tool for things it does not claim to do.
It claims to give "Total Real DPS", which it doesn't come close to doing.

And I'm a self-employed business owner sitting in my office constantly intermittently answering phone calls from clients and/or dealing with my employees and/or doing client zoom meetings and/or managing stock trades, etc. etc... and this is simply on in the background, and I jump over to it from time to time when I have nothing going on, to answer questions and try to help people.

I rarely actually play the game during work hours because I get consistently interrupted. But it's easy to mess around on the forums like this because I can start and stop whenever I want. One of the perks of being the boss/owner.

It might take me 3 hours to make one these posts because I've started and stopped it a dozen times. And if they're too long for you to read or appreciate, then don't read them. IDGAF
While Sniper's mark doesn't add as much damage as assassin's mark it does however make you able to infinitely sustain mana on your mana flask, meaning the playstyle becomes a hell of a lot easier on bosses, as you can't "brick" your sustained damage by using the bottle too much.

when it comes to crit calculation, the ball only makes the one calculation when thrown, and that goes for the entire spell echo, which means it's VERY binary as to how your attack goes in terms of it critting or not.

Crit while giving that kind of dps increase once it works feels annoying with these kinds of abilities as they either crit everything in sight, or nothing at all. This is also why it can feel so rough keeping up elemental overload for non crit builds.

But thanks for the quick answer! While I know you don't use your "boss" setup for general clearing I'd still want to beat the drum for the apex gem alongside pinpoint support as a really strong combo.
"
XZlayeD wrote:
While Sniper's mark doesn't add as much damage as assassin's mark it does however make you able to infinitely sustain mana on your mana flask, meaning the playstyle becomes a hell of a lot easier on bosses, as you can't "brick" your sustained damage by using the bottle too much.

when it comes to crit calculation, the ball only makes the one calculation when thrown, and that goes for the entire spell echo, which means it's VERY binary as to how your attack goes in terms of it critting or not.

Crit while giving that kind of dps increase once it works feels annoying with these kinds of abilities as they either crit everything in sight, or nothing at all. This is also why it can feel so rough keeping up elemental overload for non crit builds.

But thanks for the quick answer! While I know you don't use your "boss" setup for general clearing I'd still want to beat the drum for the apex gem alongside pinpoint support as a really strong combo.

This has been my experience with crit. It’s either all or nothing and the way it was easy to tell was ele overload. It is hard to keep up but if each strike was rolling it should be up always indefinitely due to the sheer number of strikes. I have a feeling the crit version is going to be very spiky because of this. Assassins Mark seems pretty necessary for the base crit but self casting is such a pain on Marks now. Any one have any clever automated versions?

EDIT:
I have verified that crit for spells is rolled per cast meaning the ball itself either crits or doesn’t in its entirety. Additionally spell echo uses the single rolls for both casts and not per ball. It would stand to reason that means greater spell echo would work in a similar manner. This means each cast will be highly variable in whether it crits or not, making crit chance a huge stat in terms of consistency.

Last edited by Cruxation on Sep 28, 2020, 1:05:53 PM
"
XZlayeD wrote:

Good to know on crit being grouped per cast. I didn't think to test it on Ele Overload.

Either way, PoB is quite accurate with it's Effective Crit Rate calculations, so while we don't typically stand stationary machine-gunning BL casts, which would eventually bring us closer and closer to that effective crit rate figure rather than luck sometimes randomly giving us more or less, it's the best we got. And the only way to push luck/bad luck out of the equation is to simply get effective crit rate up higher.

All that said, the crit version of this build is still generating quite a bit higher Average Hit/overall DPS numbers, even with the randomness of crits.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info