[3.8] Scold's Bridle Ice Nova Hierophant || No Totems || 65/55 Dodge || Uber Elder Viable

Big ups for the build! Absolutely fun to play!! I am trying this in Standard since i didnt like blight league and playing the build for almost a week non stop!!

Really curious tho to see how it will play in the new league without the watchers eye. Probably Aqueous Accelerant cluster will be worth taking and maybe one or two Spirited Response jewels with Rallying Cry inside the build and that is definitaly dps or survivability loss.

Probably most safe way with current state of game (3.8) is to drop Intuitive Leap for Spirited Response and passives will take place in Aqueous Accelerant. Watchers eye will be replaced with a second Spirited Response probably optional.

Anyway thanks for the fun! :)
Last edited by PureRhymes on Dec 4, 2019, 12:52:01 PM
I have been a long time fan of ice nova, and was really let down by the frostbolt self casting mechanic. I built 3 different characters trying to get the self cast frost bolt + self cast Ice nova to not feel bad, i just didnt like it and gave up.

I may do this for league start 3.9 - I've played just straight ice nova with no intensity and no frostbolts with a very similar tree up to red maps, should be just fine to get the basic items needed.

I've been using scolds to self proc cwdt for several other builds and simply forgot about frostbolt + ice nova. I am SUPER excited to give this build a try, looks awesome. keep up the good work.
2 questions:

- After importing your pob link, I check the "have killed recently" damage calculation and DPS goes down by 50k. - unable to trace where this is happening from.

- What are your thoughts on Arcane capacitor node on the top left area? - I cant seem to get POB to accurately reflect 50% increased efect of arcane surge. - should = 20% more spell damage + 10% cast speed ??
Hey everybody, I will try to answer all the questions:

"

Really curious tho to see how it will play in the new league without the watchers eye. Probably Aqueous Accelerant cluster will be worth taking and maybe one or two Spirited Response jewels with Rallying Cry inside the build and that is definitaly dps or survivability loss.

Aqueous accelerant is already a really good node for us, so I'd probably take that without the watchers eye. With rallying cry+jewels I'm not so sure since we are already starved for sockets and using rallying cry is a bit tedious, I think we'll have to wait and see what the patch brings. If we need to drop some damage to manage the sustain it will be no big deal since the damage is really good and a small loss probably won't be noticable.

"
I've been using scolds to self proc cwdt for several other builds and simply forgot about frostbolt + ice nova. I am SUPER excited to give this build a try, looks awesome. keep up the good work.

Ye I definitely recommend it!

"
2 questions:

- After importing your pob link, I check the "have killed recently" damage calculation and DPS goes down by 50k. - unable to trace where this is happening from.

- What are your thoughts on Arcane capacitor node on the top left area? - I cant seem to get POB to accurately reflect 50% increased efect of arcane surge. - should = 20% more spell damage + 10% cast speed ??

1. The damage loss is from the boot enchant "10% pen if you haven't killed recently"
2. I actually planned a tree using arcane capacitor that would in theory be better than the current version, however, a forum bug report thread claims that the lvl 1 arcane surge on kill overwrites a lvl 20 arcane surge. This is ofc horrible for us (see thread here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2646069)

Last edited by LordofWar619 on Dec 7, 2019, 7:32:55 AM
"
Fire309 wrote:
Hey, I was wondering when you cast ice nova, do you get the chest cwdt (frostbolts) proc every time you cast? I only get it once every 2 casts, so I was wondering if my 74% mana cost increased voidbringers weren't enough.

Edit: I have a level 21 ice nova gem, with 74% voidbringers and no gruthkul pantheon.

Edit2: After looking at your pob, I don't understand how it's possible to proc the cwdt frostbolt every time. CWDT lvl 1 requires 528 dmg, and the mana cost from your pob, factoring in the greater spell echo from pledge of hands, is 87 * 1.5 = 131.

Scold's causes you to take 131*4 = 524, which is mitigated, not counting lunaris pantheon, by 3 ECs, so you take 524*0.88 = 461 dmg per ice nova cast.

Am I missing something here? Even in my setup with a level 21 ice nova gem, assuming I had a perfect 80% voidbringer, the damage taken from scolds per cast would be 92*1.5*4*0.88 = 486 dmg.

Edit3: Ah I see you used cold pen gem instead of hypothermia. I think you should probably note in the guide that achieving one cast per ice nova is impossible w/o using cold pen instead of hypothermia (in your pob also)

Oh you are completetly right, I will update this soon. Don't know how I thought hypothermia would be a good idea. Thanks for the notice
Very cool. I think I'll league start with this. I mean, it doesnt require much until you want to cwdt the frostbolts. I'm sure i can stomach self casting till i get militant faith and 5k manas.
Already had all the items in standard and a free heirophant respec. So I threw the build together in standard.

Pretty neat, unsure as to why I can’t sustain any mana whatsoever in my hideout, but then maps or anytime I’m hitting anything, it’s fine.

Sorry if it’s a basic question, I’m just not seeing it
"
AdamSanders wrote:
Already had all the items in standard and a free heirophant respec. So I threw the build together in standard.

Pretty neat, unsure as to why I can’t sustain any mana whatsoever in my hideout, but then maps or anytime I’m hitting anything, it’s fine.

Sorry if it’s a basic question, I’m just not seeing it

If I'm just standing in hideout perma-casting, I can't fully sustain my mana either (even with mana flask). I think the difference in maps is:

1) you are not permanently casting, so your mana has time to recharge
2) The "Mind Drinker" node has 2% mana on kill which is quite a lot for us
3) Both my watcher's eye and ring have damage taken gained as mana which helps a bit I think, maybe you don't have those

Not a basic question at all :)
Is there another good way to get the HP regen prior to being able to get the Militant Faith Jewel?

edit: Read through the thread, who would of guessed that would be helpful.
Last edited by msjrules03 on Dec 17, 2019, 5:20:37 PM
Dope!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info